Two torpedo trucks

72modeler

I found these two videos and had to share them! A couple of very capable designs- one that came too late, and the other bested by its competitor, the legendary AD Sktyraider. Lots of interesting photos in both videos, and both can be had in 1/72 scale: Pavla (Octopus) did an  injected TBY,  CMR did a resin kit, and Wings did a vacfrom. . CMR did a resin AM-1; Siga and Ace did  injected kits. Naval Fighters did monographs on each design. I think the Mauler still holds the record for the largest payload ever carried by a single-engine airplane. I have seen the Mauler on display at the National Museum of Naval Aviation and it is a BIG airplane with the most massive landing gear struts I have ever seen on a single engine airplane!

Footage via You Tube

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text, corrected spelling
  • Like 1

The one on the Mauler will be a good inspiration to get started on my Ace kit.  I already have it on my build goal list for this year.

Later,

Dave

The SB2C Helldiver was also capable of dropping a torpedo although it was never used operationally with such a weapon. USN plans would have seen the TBF/TBM Avenger removed from CVB/CV/CVL air groups in 1945/46 with more Helldivers being carried instead on the CVB/CV and all fighter air groups on the CVL.

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/sb2c/sb2c-4-20411-torpedo-fitted-with-a-wooden-drag-ring-mar45/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EwenS said:

The SB2C Helldiver was also capable of dropping a torpedo although it was never used operationally with such a weapon. USN plans would have seen the TBF/TBM Avenger removed from CVB/CV/CVL air groups in 1945/46 with more Helldivers being carried instead on the CVB/CV and all fighter air groups on the CVL.

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/sb2c/sb2c-4-20411-torpedo-fitted-with-a-wooden-drag-ring-mar45/

If the war had lasted long enough, then the AD Skyraider would have replaced them both! (Ooh- if only early enough for them to be in tri-color; there's a what-if!)

Mike

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 72modeler said:

If the war had lasted long enough, then the AD Skyraider would have replaced them both! (Ooh- if only early enough for them to be in tri-color; there's a what-if!)

Mike

Well, considering that the XBT2D-1 AKA the AD-1 didn't fly until March 1945 and with the post war slowdown the first production aircraft didn't fly until Dec 1946, then the war would have needed to have gone on for at least another year for the Skyraider to have seen war service.

• Sad 1

If I recall correctly while the AM-1 could haul an incredible amount of ordnance, if it was fully loaded it could only carry enough fuel to take off, fly around the carrier and then land again.

This is my Siga Mauler

85363294-8cbd-4d68-a0ac-92225a758e90.JPG

f5f9005a-c710-4a17-8e0e-393a5c06dab4.JPG

4459b747-e378-4e4d-8bc6-ee461ebb37ba.JPG

Built back in 2014. I don't remember any major issues with it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hsr said:

If I recall correctly while the AM-1 could haul an incredible amount of ordnance, if it was fully loaded it could only carry enough fuel to take off, fly around the carrier and then land again.

Range wasn't an issue with the AM-1, it actually carried 120gal more internal fuel than the AD-1 did. It was lousy low-speed handling that made it a pig to land on anything smaller than a Midway class carrier combined with an absolutely legendarily leaky hydraulics system that doomed the type. 

The AM-1Q were shorter-legged though, but that was due to removing the fuselage fuel tank in order to fit electronics and an operator inside.

Edited by Adam Maas
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, 72modeler said:

As I remember it, and I think this is mentioned in the Navy Fighters book, the Ace kit comes with etched brass for the flaps with the comb tooth arrangement for the dive brakes.  I've already set the alarm for the night so I can't check it out right now.

Later,

Dave

On 1/21/2022 at 8:52 PM, 72modeler said:

a BIG airplane with the most massive landing gear struts I have ever seen on a single engine airplane!

See what I mean? I remember thinking when I was photographing the one at the NMNA that the main gear struts look like they were taken from a B-26 Marauder- what do you chaps think?

Mike

http://www.arcair.com/awa01/101-200/awa127-Mauler-Juvet/04.shtm

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/imgs/lrg/martin-am-mauler-carrierborne-attack-aircraft-usnavy.jpg

Nice cockpit photo for you detail freaks:

http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/aww2/am1/am1-13.jpg

On 1/22/2022 at 9:22 AM, 72modeler said:

Mike

Perhaps then the Skyraider would have actually looked nice!