Revell Bismarck 1/350 - Pontos

IJNfan

8 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

The detailing is outstanding. And nuts. But flabbergasting. And pretty insane.

Looking good! I bet it's quite fiddly at the moment but once done she'll look magnificent.

David

It is very fiddly. But the most fiddly bits are yet to come. Once you have done a few bits its mostly repetition so you get some muscle memory. Having a third hand stand with a magnifier also helps a lot. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, steve5 said:

great work david . 

Thanks Steve, I ain't david though 😂

On to the update. My camera has resumed its rightful job. Lets hope that the strike season is gone with that. 

A good update.

I have finished all plating, windows covers, firehoses, stairs and stuff on the first level of the deck. I calculated that I do not have enough lose stairsteps to make the ridges real protruding stairs like I did on the bow. But I have to recount to be certain. If I have enough then I will do that. I have made a start with the plastic parts of the front superstructure. I will include this on the first deck so that it forms one piece. Paintwise this is possible and it d save me a lot of pain and tears if it worked.

0h5eR5k.jpg
tKCprD5.jpg

Made my first Paravane
vI6tN5V.jpg
More detail
a4TxlQ8.jpg

YdtWsIc.jpg

The turret stuff from the other side. That in one heroic battle with the tweezers.
SdSei7w.jpg
I did some extra bowrepairs cause well, some pe plating didn't fit. It doesn;t look as smooth on the picture cause of some paint leftovers but it is buttersmooth to the touch. Used a little polystyrene plat this time for the nodge on the tip. 

7AqZFQo.jpg
EkowkKa.jpg

Lastly I made a colorpalette, this old tablecloth is slated for replacement anyway so I used it, not tidy, not smart, but it is what it is. As you can see from top left to bottom to right

german grey
dark grey
black 
Nato Black

KDNKz6a.jpg

I will use the nato black for the boottop as long as the green hue disappears after drying. Indecisive which grey I will use on the steel decks and the fake fake + turret roofs.

that is it for this time. 

• Like 3

I often do not update on the day I finish certain works, but this time I want to share a small piece of work. When I pulled of the masking tape and saw the results of the first 3 layers of paint on the hull I felt elated. I don't think I have ever made a bootstripe this sharp. What also makes me quite happy is the colors, the lower hull turned out with a little variation that will only increase with the red enamel grime I will add. The bowrepairs are concealed, and the putty was indeed smooth. So all in all, a major hurdle taken. Next step will be to put the fake bow, aft, white/black sidestripes on. Still thinking about which color I should use, XF24 or XF63, anyone here experience which one of the two best approximates?

wwdHjd0.jpg

1KIvXWh.jpg

BvWUw2i.jpg

the stuff on the deck has been coated in xf-19. Meaning the wooden deck can be installed once i have done the rest of the hullpaintjob.

Stay safe and thank you for you keeping up with this ;

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Jerry L said:

Extremely happy for you, and it looks great!

thanks. 

9 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I think you can be rightly proud of that paint job, but be careful - that boot topping line looks so sharp you could cut yourself. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

Xd I will be careful😂

• Like 1

There isn’t much I hate more than painting camo schemes and masking tape. But I have a new candidate for the topspot, leaking masking tape. 

I will not paint the black and white stripes on the side. Historical accuracy be damned.

After a lot of touchups, it looked somewhat decent

Y6MXRdC.jpg

n5vs4iG.jpg
fPaKbWI.jpg

0vUmCH9.jpg
it is good to know that with this the most painful part of the build until the rigging has been finished

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

To put it shortly, it has been a while, a month and 3 days to be exact. A nasty covid infection axed me for 2 weeks and then Uni stuff had to be catched up. when I did work I did not take pictures simply cause ever since covid I have been very tired during the evenings. 

I worked on the superstructure and the weathering of the hull.

The different levels of the decks have not been glued, just a dryfit. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I have started some work on the funnel. Putty work is very much WIP. Also the fit is not good at all, in line with the rest of the kit.

qo1YRzn.jpg
m2A4Jdh.jpg

byqBIdu.jpg

MK16gjv.jpg

z5FYM8h.jpg

2ZgamNo.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

sorry for the delay. Sometimes the motivation to upload the pictures is lacking, especially cause it is such a chore as you have to first put m in Imgur and then upload them one by one to the post. So here is a catchup for the last 6 week of work on the funnel and aft hangar. The fit is absolutely terrible as always till now in this build but it works out well enough.

spacer.png
spacer.pngspacer.png

9n1admy.jpg

1rSoGpl.jpg
IZqzVlw.jpg

UmSu3ld.jpg
XZIhBPg.jpg

Edited by IJNfan
  • Like 6

On 4/3/2022 at 1:27 PM, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Time to inceease my shares in putty companies. Fit does seam a bit off. (Thank you here all day).

David

You should, that d net you some hefty profits while this build continues

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the funnel cap is on back to front ! Hopefully it should be fairly easy to correct before you go too far .  HTH

On 5/15/2022 at 11:26 PM, Starfighter said:

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the funnel cap is on back to front ! Hopefully it should be fairly easy to correct before you go too far .  HTH

I haven't so thanks for that. as for the repairs, that is not easy at all, so this build is hereby shelved indefinitely. 

9 hours ago, IJNfan said:

I haven't so thanks for that. as for the repairs, that is not easy at all, so this build is hereby shelved indefinitely. 

Oh dear, sorry to hear that😟.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

So after a while I resumed the build, and worked on the funnel and a lot of other stuff. It is too much to describe, those who would like to see the interim steps are welcome to check out my instagram modeling channel.

The whole update consists of 89 pictures to be precise. 

They have been listed in the order that I shot them. I will try to keep this more up to date going forward.

Sky out. 

spacer.png

EDsE9R4.jpg

C596tOP.jpg

1nMAkYh.jpg

KQMjGGz.jpg

eq9Masb.jpg

z0vMTTk.jpg

Cenjxof.jpg

uYZLAor.jpg

PicZfqk.jpg

A4H2hcM.jpg

Vq7KyJY.jpg

VjPA28m.jpg

2sZ1SvR.jpg

Yk5VK8N.jpg

f2fUs3J.jpg

sp8vM4i.jpg

UZpeYQB.jpg

JB6VibN.jpg

11vna0q.jpg

W5OuLiR.jpg

6aXtIda.jpg

T26AgqC.jpg

7xFq7Lr.jpg

2hkaRTg.jpg

rZIim9P.jpg

Uwq32CP.jpg

cRWPEuC.jpg

A2LLCOp.jpg

27Wjx1K.jpg

D3mImyx.jpg

Q3QCObc.jpg

noEvCH1.jpg

U2Mi9Kk.jpg

WiXnhA6.jpg

HzUmfka.jpg

VJAeNdh.jpg

hUfVfgq.jpg

FpDighp.jpg

Bf0zAE5.jpg

J6Uaq8R.jpg

C2Kwyzb.jpg

gptRfsx.jpg

o8aUkT7.jpg

wEBf2l1.jpg

ZiN8ulL.jpg

pBcbm2I.jpg

F5ri1E7.jpg

NVvCcdn.jpg

HuTJu3e.jpg

y9N4TEU.jpg

WO0m902.jpg

r52Ap6A.jpg

t5FY1t8.jpg

Pg8Kyh9.jpg

oSnYH6e.jpg

ct2YtMK.jpg

uoOhbko.jpg

9qyQCIa.jpg

QY1dLdg.jpg

pTUVJPo.jpg

m0cTRVT.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/15/2022 at 11:26 PM, Starfighter said:

Turned out to be quite doable indeed. Thanks for the advice, better late than never. 🫠 I fixed it first thing when I unshelved the build.

Edited by IJNfan
  • Like 2

On 23/01/2022 at 11:21, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

If you go for an RN carrier in 1/350, you have a choice of precisely one: Ark Royal.  Merit’s kit fits really well and could make a perfectly respectable model OOB with trivial changes (e.g. leave out spurious radar aerials), though possibly not if you’re looking for accuracy…. see my seemingly endless build for details!

Ammmm, not quite.... There's a  HMS Illustrious... 

https://3d-wild.com/collections/warship-model-kits/products/1-350-hms-illustrious-aircraft-carrier-model-kit

• Like 2

I have same combo Revell/Pontos for Bismarck, and apart for getting 3d printed AA (it saves a ton of time, and looks almost as good), I don't think I'll get anything else.

As far as colors go, I find Lifecolor range good enough for my eye.

Taiho.... have you looked at..  https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/aswacauehwtc5wmk2nyr.html ? 330€ + P&P for  DX version... It is a bit pricey, but the kit is phenomenal....

For wood decks I've used four very thinned Humbrol sand and light brown colors, to paint individual planks. Very thinned, to change a color just a bit. After that, coat of Future clear polish, followed by darkish brown-grayish enamel wash, over whole deck. Then, I installed it on painted model, added towers, and small bits, dk gray wash around them, and for finish Model master flat clear lacquer ,it gives 100 flat finish

(you can check it here, see if you like the result...   https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235119950-fujimi-1350-yamashiro/ )

Anyway, I like how fast she is progressing, waaay faster that I do mine (although I have suspicion that, my constant lack of time has something to do with three kids in primary school, and accompanying homework... 😄  ), cant wait to see your Bismarck finished, keep us posted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zoran Srb said:

I have same combo Revell/Pontos for Bismarck, and apart for getting 3d printed AA (it saves a ton of time, and looks almost as good), I don't think I'll get anything else.

As far as colors go, I find Lifecolor range good enough for my eye.

Taiho.... have you looked at..  https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/aswacauehwtc5wmk2nyr.html ? 330€ + P&P for  DX version... It is a bit pricey, but the kit is phenomenal....

For wood decks I've used four very thinned Humbrol sand and light brown colors, to paint individual planks. Very thinned, to change a color just a bit. After that, coat of Future clear polish, followed by darkish brown-grayish enamel wash, over whole deck. Then, I installed it on painted model, added towers, and small bits, dk gray wash around them, and for finish Model master flat clear lacquer ,it gives 100 flat finish

(you can check it here, see if you like the result...   https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235119950-fujimi-1350-yamashiro/ )

Anyway, I like how fast she is progressing, waaay faster that I do mine (although I have suspicion that, my constant lack of time has something to do with three kids in primary school, and accompanying homework... 😄  ), cant wait to see your Bismarck finished, keep us posted.

You can be 100% certain that you do not need anything else. I do want to caution, the Pontos instructions on this one, as it is an older kit, are lacklustre in their incompleteness. I don’t understand why you d want to toss out the pe aa guns, the time spend on building = the fun of modeling. 

The deck itself is something i wanted to be very dark and smudged. I test on leftover pieces which look I want for a given model. This one was the one I went for.

next model (likely an IJN carrier in 1/350 or a cruiser in 1/700) will see the use of abteilung oils. Main paint is still tamiya, and though Colorcoats are an attractive alternative, them being enamels and requiring primer, which tamiya, if done well, does not, makes it a toss up. Lifecolor does look good too though.

Imo the pacing is pretty slow, seeing how 14 months have passed and what has been done. 

lastly, I know the Taiho, a great kit, I will deffo get that at some point.

• Like 1

Just RE Taiho, beware that unless you're happy to scratch build some items you're likely to need both upgrade sets A and B, if you want a load of planes then C is there as well, I priced it all up the other day as it's gone up a lot since when I bought mine, you'd be looking around £400 in the UK now, but it is very very good.....

Re colourcoats/enamels....no need to prime, just straight on unless you want a shade beneath to add depth 

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 2