A blast from the past!

72modeler

OK,  everybody who remembers building the classic 1/72 Hawk F-84F kit with the green tinted canopy transparency and 24 HVAR's- hold up your hands....I thought so! I found this photo while looking for RF-84F references, and it brought back happy memories of making this one. The heady aroma of  Revell 'S' cement and darned near a whole bottle of Testors red 'namel  to do all those rockets and the intake. Those were the days! (No references, no filler, no sandpaper, no aftermarket decals- just toothpicks, tape, and a single-edged razor blade I copped from my Dad's bathroom cabinet!)

Mike

image via BoxArt Den:

Hawk%20F-84F%20Late%20'50's.jpg?m=160159

photo via Wikipedia Commons:

F-84F_with_24_HVAR_rockets_1951.jpg

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 5

I love the way the pilot in the foreground is paying no attention to the a/c just off his wingtip firing rockets. Looks like a recipe for a mid-air collision.

Also the a/c in the second photo - to me it looks more like the prototype, XF-84F, the one with the earlier Thunderjet fuselage with round nose intake and long pitot tube.

YF84F_2.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/21/2022 at 6:03 PM, 72modeler said:

OK,  everybody who remembers building the classic 1/72 Hawk F-84F kit with the green tinted canopy transparency and 24 HVAR's- hold up your hands....I thought so! I found this photo while looking for RF-84F references, and it brought back happy memories of making this one. The heady aroma of  Revell 'S' cement and darned near a whole bottle of Testors red 'namel  to do all those rockets and the intake. Those were the days! (No references, no filler, no sandpaper, no aftermarket decals- just toothpicks, tape, and a single-edged razor blade I copped from my Dad's bathroom cabinet!)

Mike

image via BoxArt Den:

Hawk%20F-84F%20Late%20'50's.jpg?m=160159

photo via Wikipedia Commons:

F-84F_with_24_HVAR_rockets_1951.jpg

No Wow Emoji, but WOW! Them was the days. 

• Haha 1