Douglas Thor ICBM, Mach 2, 1/48

And now for something completly different.

Looking back at @Col.'s original post, this Group build was to be about ICBM's and artillery. I'm not sure if this was planned to get away from 'the usual subjects' but it seems like a great idea. So just as I was reaching for another Airfix Buccaneer I remembered this kit which I bought from Hobby Bounties in Singapore about 4 years ago. It fits better to the original theme so shall be my first build in 2022. I might get round to the Buccaneer as well since this looks quite straighforward. Although Mach 2 are not known for the great fit of their kits. Lets see....

IMG_20220121_163205790

Decals and everything

Luxury!

• Like 7

As you noted Colin I wanted this GB to be inclusive of as broad a range of suitable subjects as possible and while your Bucc will be welcome I'm delighted you've chose to lead with the ICBM :) Hopefully this is one of Machpoo's better kits.

• Like 1

Well 21 parts in the kit. 8 for the prototype wont be used with leaves 13. The 5 making the body of the missile are assembled.

IMG_20220123_194319222

On 1/21/2022 at 7:19 PM, Col. said:

Hopefully this is one of Machpoo's better kits.

Above pic is the 2nd application of filler. It fits like all other Mach 2 kits.

• Like 5

On 1/22/2022 at 12:48 PM, mackem01 said:

Spent ages looking for one of these at a decent price, but gave up in the end so looking forward to seeing this one done.

Seeing the state of the 'kit' it would be better to buy a rolling pin from Lakeland Plastics and start with that.

(Other rolling pins are available)

• Haha 9

This kit is for the prototype missile which had a domed top (see the picture above) and 4 fins. I'm planning to make the operational missile so can delete the fins but need a pointly top.  I've spent the last week looking for a suitable pointy top but to no avail. I have decided to build one with a ring of plastic card around the top and a SNEB nose to get the correct length. My trusty Milliput will fill the gap. 

IMG_20220127_200517708

Colin

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Col. said:

f you can't find it make it. Good plan Colin

Very true, isn't that why we started modelling ?

Thor production version with pointy top.

IMG_20220128_211003583

• Like 7

Another 4 layers of filler and paint later I switched to white primer, painted the brass ring around the nose and then a coat of white Gloss. Land Rover white seemed appropriate!

IMG_20220202_202902370

• Like 7

Colin,

This looks great. I once made the Mach 2 Vostok 1.and whenever I think about trying another Mach 2 kit I try to force myself to remember the reality of making that one. So, I'm full of admiration for the rapidity of your progress!

I'm looking forward to seeing this done,

Alan

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

whenever I think about trying another Mach 2 kit I try to force myself to remember the reality of making that one

I believe this is my first Mach 2 kit but I have built several Fonderie Miniatures jets and this really does follow the same 'fits where it touches' and 'modeller has room for impreovement' philosophy.

Colin

Luckily I decided to do the RAF version so only needed 1 of themany decals on the sheet. Unfortunatly the decal summarised the rest of the kit. As soon as it got wet it disintegrated as below.

IMG_20220204_193258405

Only 2 decals were needed so these came from Xtradecal.

Here it is with Aeroclub's 1/48 Vacform Vulcan for a bit of scale and interest.

IMG_20220204_195203656

Thanks for the comments along the way.

• Like 8