Yet another Tamiya Ford Sierra RS500

There seems to be a rush of RS500s lately, so I thought I'd join the fun and post a few bad cell phone pics of mine. I found it on a certain auction site last November for $50 and placed the minimum bid, just for laughs. I expected the kit to go for at least twice that, but I ended up winning and found the kit also included the Labatt's decals from SK and a resin RHD dash board! You can still find a bargain every now and then  there.

I painted it with Gravity Colors - Spain's Labatt's Blue, which looks darker than Zero's color. I made seat belts from painted medical tape and hardware cut from thick foil, because I'm too cheap to buy photo etched hardware. The decals were very brittle and were flaking off before I could get a clear coat on, hence the damaged L in "Please." I've never had trouble before with SK's decals, so I'm guessing these had spent some time in a hot attic.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ben

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

@paulyoung666 Thank you! At first, I had my wheels backwards on one side before I realized something was wrong! 😆  I think the blue you used is a better match for the blue in the decals. I would have liked to have used Zero’s blue but their paints are almost impossible to get here in the US. Fortunately, Gravity- Spain and Splash Paints fill the void.

Cheers!

Ben

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

I would have liked to have used Zero’s blue but their paints are almost impossible to get here in the US.

Ben, Hiroboy have a big 'banner' on their home page saying they ship Zero paints to the US. I've no idea of the cost as I've not read the details, but might be useful in the future?

Keith

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Ben, Hiroboy have a big 'banner' on their home page saying they ship Zero paints to the US. I've no idea of the cost as I've not read the details, but might be useful in the future?

Keith

Thanks! Shipping’s ~£25 from Hiroboy, plus they have a note about a £65 surcharge. I can get them from SpotModel, I’d just has to wait for them to order from Zero. 

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

5 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

@paulyoung666 Thank you! At first, I had my wheels backwards on one side before I realized something was wrong! 😆  I think the blue you used is a better match for the blue in the decals. I would have liked to have used Zero’s blue but their paints are almost impossible to get here in the US. Fortunately, Gravity- Spain and Splash Paints fill the void.

Cheers!

Ben

I thought gravity had a US entity ?

1 hour ago, paulyoung666 said:

I thought gravity had a US entity ?

Lots of 'negative press' about U.S. 'Gravity' paints with much acrimony between them and Gravity Spain. Just google Gravity Paints USA problems.....

Keith

They split several years ago in what looks like an especially nasty divorce. The US guy has since built a reputation for slow service and lack of communication, which was what I experienced. There’s a lot of discussion about it on this forum and on several other car-related forums. I’ve ordered from Gravity-Spain many times and have always had good service and quick communication. It usually only takes about a week to ten days to get an order to the US.

EDIT: Keith types faster than me! 😄

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown