Tamiya 1/48 Dewoitine D.520

For your inspection, my just completed D.520.  It was a pretty straightforward and fun build.  Being Tamiya there were no construction issues other than a couple seam lines to clean up and having to shave some on the landing gear doors to seat the landing gear fully in their posts.  I'm happy with my camo pattern but it isn't as detailed as the supplied guide.  I tried using blue tac and it left residue so I had to use masking tape and it limited how sharp a curve I could make.  I mixed my colors to match references as close as I could. 

The decal set had options for Vichy craft, but I wanted it to look like a craft from the battle of France.  I finally had a good decal session (if you've read my other builds it has been a anxiety inducing process for me).  I waited 5 days for the future to cure before attempting anything and this worked well.  The decals were hateful though.  Despite being very thin they were not pliable at all.  Multiple coats of setting solution did nothing and I had to cut every panel line into them with a hobby blade.  The red was particularly bad, super brittle.  I had to fill in a couple spots on some roundels and the tail with some paint I mixed.  It looked great till applying the final coat of future and it got darker.  Still looks good from a distance.

I used burnt umber for the wash on the underside.  For the blue/green I used a mix I made, and on the brown I used black wash.  I weathered with oils and Tamiya powders.  Finally, I added a tiny bit of chipping around the ammo doors and some removable panels.   I was going to attempt adding antenna wire but I broke the mast and I didn't think it would be strong enough to properly stretch a line in a repaired state.  Thanks for looking and enjoy the photos.

PS:  I did start but never finished an in progress thread.  There is some additional build info and photos if you are interested.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235104168-tamiya-148-dewoitine-d520/#comment-4287918

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by BleedingBlue
  • Like 30

59 minutes ago, MRMRL said:

That's a very neat, appropriately streaked aircraft. Nice subject and a good scheme, not one I've seen.

Thanks.  If you are referring to the camo pattern, it is of my own creation.  I couldn't follow the guide exactly because I couldn't create curves tight enough with masking tape.  I probably should have thought about making stencils but it didn't occur to me until after I had completed the build.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BleedingBlue said:

Thanks.  If you are referring to the camo pattern, it is of my own creation.  I couldn't follow the guide exactly because I couldn't create curves tight enough with masking tape.  I probably should have thought about making stencils but it didn't occur to me until after I had completed the build.

That's fair enough in my eyes, I'm all for some improvisation, if you've enjoyed doing it and like the end result, the rest isn't important.

• Thanks 1

Very neat and tidy:like:. You mention burnt umber for the undersides wash, is that oil paint as well, I notice you weathered with oils. If so what do you thin the oils with to make a wash? Having seen the results here I think I will have a go with them

Pete

4 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Very neat and tidy:like:. You mention burnt umber for the undersides wash, is that oil paint as well, I notice you weathered with oils. If so what do you thin the oils with to make a wash? Having seen the results here I think I will have a go with them

Pete

Thank you.  The wash is oil paint.  I got a cheap set (I think about $5) of oil paints and do all my washes and most of the weathering.  I thin the oils with odorless mineral spirits.  I thin them till they are about the consistency of water.  Is a really cheap way to make washes and you can mix custom colors.

• Thanks 1