Italeri's (ESCI) 1:72 Dakota Mk.III

Due to the unavailability of the Airfix new tool C-47, I bought the Italeri/ESCI Dakota Mk.III in 1:72. I plan on using Aerocalcas decals to make it as CTA-15 from the Comando Aeronaval Antártico.

Some of you may have seen my topic regarding the fit of the kit in the WW2 aviation section. I was warned about the fuselage and wings having poor fit, so I eagerly cut the fuselage and wings from their sprues to make some test fit. Turns out the fuselage has a ver goof fit, but the wings are a different story, having a sizable gap on the root. I'll see if I can add a spreader bar below the fuselage in order to widen the area.

bJNZU4y.jpeg

RcQS6mv.jpeg

• Like 5

This is where I'm right now. Wings glued and flaps added in the up position, since the flap bays have no detail.

zmjzwyT.jpeg

MnoFnaj.jpeg

The kit isn't bad, but it does have its shortcomings, such as the fit between the wings and the fuselage. This is, however, the only visible area with big gaps.

After dealing with the wings, it was time to start with the interior. Most of it wouldn't be seen throught the small windows, so some parts were left out.

The windows were carefully added yesterday (no photo of that) with styrene cement. I'll paint the areas between the windows with the exterior colour, and then mask and paint over them.

j600Vxq.jpeg

Doors glued in place.

Jqmoy6R.jpeg

Fuselage glued together.

VqeeB4p.jpeg

And the airframe completed. I added a bracing between the cabin floor and the inner side of the wing, but it seems it didn't make any difference in reducing the size of the wing gaps.

qjVNd5H.jpeg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

, love to see it finished in those markings😁

Me too! I've had that decal set since 2020. Always delaying the purchase of the Airfix kit ended up biting me in the butt when it went out of stock.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Me too! I've had that decal set since 2020. Always delaying the purchase of the Airfix kit ended up biting me in the butt when it went out of stock.

This is a good looking Dakota as well and with some patience it will hold up nicely next to an Airfix one.

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

Had a Marathonic painting session two days ago.

I first masked the windows and primed the model with Revell 76 Light Grey, so the orange and metallic colours would have something to hold onto.

9t5XxOk.jpeg

I then painted the orange and the flag on the rudder. After that, the orange was applied. I needed lots of coats for the orange to become opaque enough. I then painted the black deicing areas and the antiglare panel. The orange areas were then masked and the metallic colour painted.

40t4Y3s.jpeg

oIOXf4M.jpeg

Decals were then added. These are very thin and needed lots of water to move them into position.

mpa5kVq.jpeg

LDL1GUU.jpeg

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Hook said:

Very nice! Both the ESCI and Italeri molds seem to have missed an additional window on the port forward fuselage:

http://arqueologiaaeronautica.blogspot.com/2014/06/douglas-c-47-dl-skytrain-matr-cta-15.html?m=1

The extra window is a mod peculiar to the Argentine Air Force and Naval Aviation C-47:s.

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Moggy said:

The extra window is a mod peculiar to the Argentine Air Force and Naval Aviation C-47:s.

Cheers, Moggy

It is? Well, too late to do something. I'll leave the plane as is right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sturmovik said:

It is? Well, too late to do something. I'll leave the plane as is right now.

I committed the same omission on the C-47:s in my pictures above - lack of information (early '90s) :(

The next Argentine C-47:s of my making will be built to the correct Argentine specifications ;)

Your C-47 looks great! 😁

Cheers, Moggy

• Thanks 1

Italeri has two distinct C-47 kits: one is the original Italeri moulds. Later Italeri acquired the ex-ESCI moulds - among them the DC-3/C-47 moulds.

The info I provided (the wing fit problems) regarded the original Italeri moulds. The ESCI kit had other problems I suppose ;)

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 1