Canadian Military Pattern Truck in Sicily, 1943 (IBG Models 1:72) ***Finished***

SimonL

I had intended to start a Miniart 1:35 Dingo in Canadian colours - but found my kit was missing a while sprue. Thankfully Miniart Customer Support were very quick to respond and a replacement sprue is on its way. That’s going to take awhile, so in the meantime I thought I would make a start on this kit.

resized_820a1efd-ca8e-4be9-8adb-0d8fde79

I’ve been picking away at it over the last week, pretty straight forward build, if rather small parts and rather soft plastic.

Here is where I am at tonight. Most of the construction complete, just some cleaning up to do.

resized_59f38281-c738-4a77-b8ad-f019f7f7

I want to finish it as a Canadian example in Sicily 1943 - it’s got a roundel on the roof 😁. The markings in the box are for a vehicle with Carlton and York Regiment, 1st Canadian Infantry Division in Sicily in 1943.

The instructions say it should be olive drab, which doesn’t sound right.

I had the following discussion with folk earlier last year.

From this I think the base colour will be SCC 4 Stone, with black disruptive pattern only on the lower part of the vehicle. I am going to assume it was originally SCC 2, so will paint the inside of the cab and the undersides that colour. I think I’ve got something that approximates SCC4, and from the photo I found of this specific vehicle the final appearance will be very dusty. The only thing that’s tripping me up - what will the disruptive pattern look like? I can’t seem to find any clear images, so it may be a bit of guesstimate.

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 7

I’ve made a few. Interesting subjects and generally straight forward builds. Ideal for a quick build “palate cleanser”. Downsides are sometimes very tiny parts that are challenging to remove from the sprues without damage. The plastic is generally quite soft as well.

Examples of what I have built: 

• Like 2

Bit of a warm one today - reached a max of 42 C. That’s four days in a row 🥵(hence the iced black coffee).

Added a few touches of Mr Surfacer 500 to help with a few blemishes, and then to start painting.

My usual paint, Tamiya Acrylics, are getting increasingly hard to get from the local hobby shop, so for the SCC 2 on the underside and in the cab I used Vallejo Model Colour 70.826. Went on easily, and was nice and forgiving. I painted the engine black using Italeri Acryl Flat Black - although heaven knows why, it’s not going to be visible.

resized_9704c6f3-4a47-4466-b6c0-286b0623

resized_4e9fb152-2475-428a-8b6b-4a2caafe

While that was drying, I thinned the edges of the spare wheel “compartment”, as it looked a bit chunky. Here I have done one side.

resized_d98cf767-9c67-4133-bfca-f6bc635e

Once the paint was dry I could start glueing parts to the chassis. The cab needed some wriggling to get it to sit correctly, but it wasn’t too bad. I also added the various boxes under the rear tray after fixing it to the chassis. 

resized_77450065-ac81-4636-8766-4b630530

Once that had all set, I added the seats to the drivers cab, pre painted with Tamiya XF 49 Khaki. I then gave the cab a wash with a dilute mix of Army Painter Soft and Dark Tone. Tried out a new product for me, Vallejo Matt Varnish, which worked pretty well (still wet in this image).

resized_2464ec87-594b-443a-b435-8c4738c0

Just a little dry fit of the wheels and can roof - looks pretty good.

resized_fac9d72d-6c87-49f2-88a8-3765dd1f

• Like 6

Thanks!

Next step was the main paint job. SCC4 Stone as indicated in the linked conversation above appears to have had a number of subjective descriptions. I has a look for what I had in stock and decided on using Vallejo 70.876 Brown Sand. The tyres were painted Vallejo 306 Dark Rubber. I then bit the bullet and had a go at painting the disruptive pattern on the bottom with Tamiya NATO Black XF69 using various images as a guide - it’s clearly just a guess. Looks a bit stark but I expect weathering to reduce that.

resized_531b4c82-8966-444d-ba6f-3b61e548

resized_b1be617a-4c39-4543-8174-a045b580

resized_bb89f6bc-ebf4-440e-852f-873c7a85

I then gave the whole model a wash with a dilute mix (2:1) of Army Painter Soft Tone and Dark Tone. This left the surface reasonably glossy to allow the decals to go on easily. I then followed up with another coat of the Army Painter mixture. I think in future I may seal everything with a gloss coat before I wash with the Army Painter washes, still getting to grips with them.

resized_1c856382-c12f-44b6-934c-40ab3f32

Of course I forgot to take a photo before the next step, which was to use another product that was new to me, Vallejo Model Wash. I used the European Dust Wash. Here is the result after two

light coats.

resized_9b93b366-d0ac-4c44-9abe-46a63a11

resized_9fb0bd63-4299-4047-a05a-82e4f68f

729994c7-55bb-4999-94f5-a6bf9e2abeda.jpe

Pretty happy how it went on,  a lot cleaner than the dilute acrylics I have been using. It’s maybe not quite as “light” as I was after. Question is, do I stop now, or add another coat of dust? And should I add maybe a dab of a paler acrylic to the mix? Or may be the flat coat will be enough?  I do think I will do some dry brushing, that may give me the effect I am after.

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 6

Thanks @PlaStix. Not quite 3 days - took a week on and off to build it before I started painting.

However, I decided in the end to add a few more “dusty” washes, with some dilute Italeri Acryl Sand added to the Vallejo Model Wash. Had a few awkward moments when removing the cab roof to  add the transparencies for the front windshield, but I’m calling this done. Quickly put together a little base with some sand from the garden and some scatter. I’ll take some more photos tomorrow outside. All in all a rather nice little kit. I imagine in the hands of some one with more skills than me it would be a stunner, but glad to add this to my collection of small scale vehicles.

resized_abeaa27d-457d-4241-b65e-457b4082

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 3

I'll reset my router, could be an issue at my end mate :)

Cheers, 

Stew

Edit: That's weird, I can see it when I right-click and open the link in a new tab, but not in the thread... anyway it seems to be just me, so don't worry about it mate, that's a lovely little truck B) 

Cheers, 

Stew

25 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Edit: That's weird, I can see it when I right-click and open the link in a new tab, but not in the thread... anyway it seems to be just me, so don't worry about it mate, that's a lovely little truck B)

I can see it using Stews' method so no problem for me now either.

A great build revealed!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vytautas said:

village.photos have just expired its certificate of authenticity. I think they should fix this mistake very quickly.

It's not the first time that this has happened with VP. Same thing about a couple of years ago. You'd think that they would know when their certificate was about to run out and fix it.

I should imagine that everyone on BM who uses VP has just had all of their photos vanish.

John.

• Like 1

• SimonL changed the title to Canadian Military Pattern Truck in Sicily, 1943 (IBG Models 1:72) ***Finished***