Wing walkway lines on Firebird Lightnings?

mouse808

Hello all

Not that it really matters for mine as there are other errors, but I've noticed (mostly with real photos) I can find of the Firebirds, they don't seem to have the black walkway (?) lines on the leading edge, eg

website-gallery-4---firebir1.gif

Theres also a great shot of XM182 in here where no lines are show (alas I can't find that picture on the internet, so shouldn't share)

ac005-Lightning-1.png

Yet nearly all the models have the walkway lines, eg
959462-24719-75-1440.jpg

So just wondering if they did or didn't have them, or like a lot of these things, "it depends"......

Just interested
Cheers
Lee

Edited by mouse808
typo
  • Like 1

From the photo of the real aircraft, I'd say they had them originally, as they're part of the standard aircraft maintenance stencils and you can see most of the walkway (aft, outboard and outboard part of the forward), but, when the Firebirds display scheme was painted onto the aircraft, the section from roughly level with the upper wing roundel to the fuselage was just simply overpainted.

Does this help?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mouse808 said:

Many thanks, yes that make sense.

Going to be fun trying to cut them :)

Or you could apply them over the NMF, apply the decals, seal the decals then mask off and apply the red to the wings - kind of like what they did with the real aircraft (only they didn't have to faff around with decals or sealing them in place).

• Like 1