Trumpeter 1/35 Soviet 9P117M1 Scud Launcher

MRMRL

Another in my series of recent builds that I haven't got round to posting yet, maybe we'll get the whole set complete at some point :) 

In this case we have Trumpeter's Scud launch vehicle - or as the name on the box puts it "Soviet (9P117M1) launcher with R17 rocket of 9K72 missile complex "Elbrus" (Scud B)". Since I'm not that au-fait with my Russian paraphanelia, I'll taker their word for it. Overall this was a fun kit to build, which I have completed all out of the box. The only real difficulty I got into was attaching the two "cabs" at the front, these were an absolute beast to get into the right position, which probably means I had something in the chassis slightly out of alignment. I remember having a similar issue when I did the "Bereg" coastal defence gun, which is on the same chassis, but that only had one cab so I think I got away with it a bit more easily there. Other than that, I managed to fog up most the cab windows during my efforts to get the cabs attached to the chassis and fitting the windows in the first place (I do struggle with that on vehicles especially). 

Thanks for looking.

-SmzuHp-adsrm-kDwqxxGu7a-CffT0ZKBLt2Lpuv

bHF1NkSkTMlnNvf8DbWwdKG_nBKJX0FKomjEDfHH

QKZeO9P3IItOwpkbWts5d84G3YM51tV5_ZIbPjrW

GPWpiUXvgnHINCsiUyCli2IcBsu-GUJOX6jyBODk

m0OJ6Y74E7espRVh0V9ugbz1XbjOP4RS3_cifaz-

R17zN9Eim-j69xHFWgA15AsuvTt6y36-khnZFeCs

ukEeRrDgVQkKxkl81p30UY42QcZ8-VjZydOq0wfn

9NZ5F9uwbj1akVFBKwrEcW3DgzlMXlDydd_McCv6

• Like 18

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Very nice. You made a good job of it. I do like trumpeters missle systems but there a bit rich for my pocket.

True that, I'd have the whole set otherwise.

1 hour ago, Lazy Modeller said:

Very nice indeed... and big. If it was me I would add some dirt to the tires to add some color. This way is a bit flat and the color doesn't pop... My 5 cents of course.

Cheers

LM

That's fair and I do agree. I'm still working on my weathering I figure that once I learn the mud/dirt stuff properly, I can go back and add it to completed vehicles.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MRMRL said:

True that, I'd have the whole set otherwise.

That's fair and I do agree. I'm still working on my weathering I figure that once I learn the mud/dirt stuff properly, I can go back and add it to completed vehicles.

You can use some pigments to do the job...nothing to difficult and doesn't need much, but it will give you a better contrasting color to the vehicle.

Cheers

LM

• Thanks 1

Hi MRMRL, 

Another "heavyweight" that eats up shelf or display case space...lol.
I would love to make one of these or something similar, but they are very expensive, and "devour" the space to expose them...maybe one day, if I find a model that I like and the price is reasonable....
As LM says, some dust or mud on the wheels would be very appropriate, and on the vehicle in general too, now if, as you say, you are still not comfortable with that technique, it is better to gain skill with "guinea pigs" and not ruin a model that turned out well.
Although the photos appear dark, very good details are seen.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

That is pretty good I think. The vehicle is very imposing. Nice little details too. If you weather it a little people will assume that you meant it to have dirty windows!

I found the label 'Control Cabin' a bit strange since nothing else was labeled.

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2022 at 9:45 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

That is pretty good I think. The vehicle is very imposing. Nice little details too. If you weather it a little people will assume that you meant it to have dirty windows!

I found the label 'Control Cabin' a bit strange since nothing else was labeled.

I like that, it's a good motivator to figure out a muddy effect :) 

The control cabin decal may be a kit inaccuracy, I know nothing of the vehicle, built for its impressiveness rather than any particular interest. I'd need someone in the know to comment on whether it should be there or not.