1/72nd scale Swiss F/A 18, airshow plumage...now in transition...Italeri to Academy...

John Masters

I have a question.  The instructions say 'either/or'.  I am clueless as to what to do here:

A19 or A29?  What are these things anyway?

51858485807_5df77051d0_z_d.jpg

While waiting, I jumped into some minor decal work, some whisker attachment and light painting...

Whiskers...I have to be very careful with the kit now lest I snap these bits off...

51860100530_a15f53a738_z_d.jpg

Wheels, tires and landing gear.  Painted and decaled.  I'm not happy that these decals don't seem to be settling.  I used solvent too. We'll see.  It's another case of the physics of ratios: too thick decal film + too small decal = little flexibility.  Oh well.

51860100540_e6591d2160_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

parts A19 (and A20 in the sprue!) are the latter ALE-47 twin dispensers, used by Swiss and Finnish in their Hornets so go for them. V-P

Thanks V-P.  Will do.

Meanwhile, the nose went on. Even though it did not suggest it, I aded a few grams of weight just in case it's a tail sitter.

51860206190_3dfb4bd3ea_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wings unlevel said:

Jet is looking great!

Thank you Wings...

41 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work John, she's looking good.

And to you too Craig.

You know folks...there was a time...not so long ago, when I insisted that I would never build a model depicting an aircraft that flew after 1936.  Certainly, there are enough in the first 36 years of flight to fill a lifetime of building.  Scads.  A plethora.  True, i dipped my toes into WW2 once in a while, but still...

Then I stumbled upon you people...😉 😜  I tried my best.  I stubbornly stuck to my guns, vowing to not bend in my orthodox philosophy.  Then it happened...something clicked...some little voice said, "Oh come on...you know you wanna to do it..." 😈  

So I built Eduard's Mig-15, with North Korean markings.  That was it!   You have ruined me!  I blame you all...😉😄

Flare dispensers...I had to trim off two little flanges on the fuselage in order to get them to fit.

51860319475_9288ec4ef3_z_d.jpg

Careful with this two nubbins on the turtleneck.  They are separate pieces and very small...

51860340650_f777e25d4a_z_d.jpg

The twin rudders and stabilizers had to go on.  There are thin gaps on the stabilizers where they fit to the fuselage. I assume this is because they are not fixed and are moveable control surfaces.

I also went around with some PPP and filled in the verrrry small gaps that were here and there.  Very small gaps.

And built the nozzles...

51859745503_7acb11a8db_z_d.jpg

So there it is.  I think I'm within three days of primer, imho.  First I will add the hard points, mask the canopy sections...some small hairy brush work...

51858707807_2cdc1f0882_z_d.jpg

So remember this, fellows...if you like my modelling:  It's all your fault!  🤣

Now I am off to my piano lesson.  🎹

--John

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I think there's a pair in my Kinetic boxing if you want them Sam.

Hey Craig, thanks very much for the offer! I found a scratchbuilt solution. Do you happen to be near LHR regularly? Work often brings me to stand 219 and nearby. 

How is your kinetic Hornet? Are you ready for the next round on it? 

I may join the century Fighter GB which you are co-hosting, got a Thud Wild Weasel ready to be built. Unfortunately it‘s in the same timeframe as the Eagle GB, which I already commited to. And I never do parallel builds… and the kits look too nice to work on under time pressure. We shall see. 

1 minute ago, John Masters said:

Mine were both actually marked '19'...they come from 2 identical sprue 'E'...

Once back from skiing holiday I shall check again on my sprues. I did a few times before;  I got an old boxing and I think at that time the ALE-47 was not used in that config on F-18s yet. 

4 minutes ago, Sam said:

Hey Craig, thanks very much for the offer! I found a scratchbuilt solution. Do you happen to be near LHR regularly? Work often brings me to stand 219 and nearby. 

How is your kinetic Hornet? Are you ready for the next round on it? 

I may join the century Fighter GB which you are co-hosting, got a Thud Wild Weasel ready to be built. Unfortunately it‘s in the same timeframe as the Eagle GB, which I already commited to. And I never do parallel builds… and the kits look too nice to work on under time pressure. We shall see. 

Nowhere near LHR Sam unfortunately. Glad that you have found a solution.

Not touched the Hornet for a while, enjoying a Monogram F-8 Crusader for the Attack GB at the minute, should get back to the Hornet soon.

It would be great if you could join us in the Century GB, but I understand about only wanting one build going at a time.

11 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

It would be great if you could join us in the Century GB, but I understand about only wanting one build going at a time.

I will try my best, would love to join indeed. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, John Masters said:
2 hours ago, Sam said:

Madness is only building one at a time.  I'm currently building three.  Amateur status, I know

The amateur is probably me. Cant handle more than one at a time….

… model kit builds that is!!!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, John Masters said:

Careful with this two nubbins on the turtleneck.  They are separate pieces and very small...

I fitted mine last night. My goodness that was stressful the carpet (or in my case the 'gap between the floorboards') monster was circling licking it's lips. No scraps for it this time. 👍

14 hours ago, John Masters said:

Mine were both actually marked '19'...they come from 2 identical sprue 'E'...

In my kit they came from sprue "A" with numbers 19 and 20, although the instructions state both are A19. E19 are for both sides of VER:s. V-P