Fly Models Ilyushin IL-10, PLAAF, mid-1950s...

Wow!  The GB scene is really beginning to bubble around here.  I'll start in on this one tomorrow.  I may have to finish something first to clear the bench...Anyway.  The will, I hope, be one of two IL-series ground attack aircraft, the other being a standard IL-2 from the USSR.  We shall see how I manage it all.  Here's the box art...with the North Korean plumage...

51833908895_f470950da9_c_d.jpg

The sprue looks clean, with a bit of resin too.  Note the captured USA option.  Weird, but not for me.

51832232787_1578578f18_z_d.jpg

And here's the profile.  In typical PLAAF design, nothing fancy, no flashy slogans.  Probably the same green they painted their trucks.

51833526739_41d6c1fc40_c_d.jpg

See you all soon!

--John

• Like 15

Excellent choice of aeroplane, the 'Super-Shturmovik' as it were. I've often wondered if the Il-10 had been switched with its contemporary, the Skyraider, how its career would have gone. I believe with the same air superiority the Skyraider enjoyed, it would have proved a great success in the Korean War. As far as lasting until the Vietnam War? Who knows - the Chinese versions evidently lasted into the 1970s. At any rate, good luck with your build!

Regards,

Jason

I did some priming, a little paint...some decal work on the IP...I'll assemble some later tonight.

51836802570_6263ce5652_z_d.jpg

51836421089_f097f7ce6e_z_d.jpg

Nice resin bits...

51835121152_1c63853573_z_d.jpg

And looked at the plans for the cockpit/tub.  Not too difficult.  I'll wait until the paint dries before I glue all these pieces together.

51835121122_c45b02421e_z_d.jpg

51836421109_d15ab7a558_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

On 1/21/2022 at 5:55 PM, desert falcon said:

Looks like a fast little fella with the long nose and the cockpit in the middle on the top 👍

Pretty fast.  I think, like the Warthog, Stuka, etc al…if this thing is after you you’re in trouble.

• Like 2

An excellent choice John, the IL-10 is a great looking aircraft.

Nice to see you doing one in Chinese markings, not something you see very often, though if you wanted a proper unusual scheme you could do one of the aircraft supplied to Yemen, though I don't think they actually flew after delivery.

• Like 1

The cockpit assembly...

51838274760_01003262a4_o_d.jpg

And assembled.  Not too difficult.  Just make sure the edges are clean and straight.  I tacked it first with CA then went around with regular stuff for security.

Front...masking tape harness...

51837647143_4442b78f11_z_d.jpg

Rear gunner position...I suppose I should add a harness here too.

51837891059_3ff7e4fa16_z_d.jpg

And fitted inside one half of the fuselage...with the gun mount added too.

51838274765_c879635963_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Cockpit looks very good John, nice work mate.

Thanks Craig.  

Putting the fuselage together required some work.  CA, regular glue, clamps...the works basically.  I'll leave it for a few hours and see.  I predict putty.

51838463749_aa637fee85_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

Nice work so far on the Il-10! I've gone about my kit differently - I've built the wings first (no problems that I recall), but I still need to put the fuselage together. Nice to see the fuselage come together, even if with a little work. I don't off hand remember seeing any profiles or photographs of Yemeni aircraft, although I'll take a look at my collection to see if I have any.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Dis this today.  The fuselage-to-wing process required a bit of fettling and once it was in and tight, I used CA to seal the seams and then thin cement to further the effect.

51842510368_702d463a37_z_d.jpg

51842397591_53f4b52bf8_z_d.jpg

There is a small step on the join for the port wing.  I need up using a thing strip of plastic to even out the two pieces.

51842765514_db36d3b762_z_d.jpg

Now putty was needed all around the place. Thin seams, washouts, etc...light sanding...

51841461402_3c8f07d326_z_d.jpg

51842397606_d31439547c_z_d.jpg

I'm happy with this kit.  I forgot that I have actually built an IL-2, but many decades ago when I came back to the fold after a gap.  I think it was 1/48th...maybe not.  In any case, gone with the wind that one.

--John

• Like 6

Interesting kit, never knew Fly did this one. I made the old KP one decades ago. If I get the Ventura done I may break out one of the Il-2's I have, probably the Tamiya one for a stress free build!

Good job so far.

Davey.

• Like 2

Davey, you'll like the Tamiya Il-2 - best kit of the Shturmovik in 1/72nd scale. I built mine with no problems. And John, nice work on the Il-10! I'm glad you're not running into any more problems than you might expect on most limited-run kits (sand, fettle, fit, and fill, then sand again). I may just drag mine out and get back to it.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Col. said:

Dis is looking rather good John :D Nice work.

😆  Yes....Sometimes I have sausage fingers.  It is looking alright!  I think today I might get around to fitting the little pointy bits and masking the canopy.  Then it is time for primer!

12 hours ago, Learstang said:

And John, nice work on the Il-10! I'm glad you're not running into any more problems than you might expect on most limited-run kits (sand, fettle, fit, and fill, then sand again). I may just drag mine out and get back to it.

Go for it.  Thank you Jason.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Learstang said:

I may just drag mine out and get back to it.

Without trying to derail John's thread may I ask how far you've got with your Il-10 Jason?

• Like 1

I've finished the wings, painted most parts, including the interior parts. Basically, I just need to glue the cockpit into the fuselage, join the fuselage, glue the wings on, glue the stabilisers on, etc. So far, I haven't run into any problems.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Learstang said:

I've finished the wings, painted most parts, including the interior parts. Basically, I just need to glue the cockpit into the fuselage, join the fuselage, glue the wings on, glue the stabilisers on, etc. So far, I haven't run into any problems.

Best Regards,

Jason

If you wish to join us and open a thread showing continued progress you're welcome Jason.

Ahem, sorry @John Masters, back to your updates now I promise :shutup: :blush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Col. said:

If you wish to join us and open a thread showing continued progress you're welcome Jason.

Ahem, sorry @John Masters, back to your updates now I promise :shutup: :blush:

Hijackers!!!  🤣☺️  Thanks Col.  I’d love it if Jason started a thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1