academy's 1/350 HMS warspite

steve5

after a bit of a break , this is going to be my next build , theirs bit of a story to this kit , I ordered the pontos extras for it , after being told they only had the trumpeter kit's one , so I ordered it and the trumpeter kit from another mob , forward 5 months , I went to start the kit , only to find the wood deck didn't fit and must have been for the academy's one , bit late to return it , so I had to wait for academys to show up .

spacer.png

I also bought this book , to give me a bit of a helping hand .

spacer.png

• Like 8

Gidday Steve, how yo goin'? So you've got two kits of this ship? Are you going to build both, sell one or indulge in a bit of scratch conversion/whiffery? Ralph could probably advise you there. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

11 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Steve, how yo goin'? So you've got two kits of this ship? Are you going to build both, sell one or indulge in a bit of scratch conversion/whiffery? Ralph could probably advise you there. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

Hello Jeff, will probably build one after picking up after market parts. However that is a long way off, have to finish building  (a triple build at one time) Zveda's; Oriol, Borodino, and Knyaz Suvorov. Never again will I build a Zveda product!!

thank's guy's , nice to have you all aboard , hopefully it turns into a nice build .

jeff , I'm going well mate , thanks for asking , probably will build the two , the hms barham ,looks an interesting one . ralph is a fountain of information , as always mate .

I hope the rest of the kit goes together better than the hull halves , I had to really clamp them together tight , and put some re-enforcing on the inside for strength .

spacer.png

the hull painted , needs a bit of touch-up work done , but nothing major . also mounted it on the working board .

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 8

Trumpeter hulls in my experience are always a big pain to put together. Haven't build warspire but generally afterwards it doesn't get really painful, though the fitting is often a tad loose/just nood 100%. Paintjob looks good. The only thing that caught attention was that in the middle grey part there seems to be a lighter bit in the center, is that a lightning effect or something you did on purpose with the painting?

Edited by IJNfan
  • Like 1

Nice choice Steve great to see you back at it the Seaforth book is great I also have the anatomy of the ship book with a lot of builders plans give me a shout if I can help will post for you

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

I shall follow on for sure, I started an oob of this kit about three years ago ad was trying to back date her a little by leaving a few bits off for a 1942 appearance. She's still sitting there waiting for attention but now having tried photo etch I'm wondering whether to carry on with her as is or wait and get a detail set for her, I know mk1 do one, didn't realise pontos do as well. 

Suprised you've had issues with zvezda, I built their dreadnought (admittedly not very well) as my first kit back in the hobby and had very little trouble with it, 

Anywho,  Warpsite was a great looking girl with a fascinating history, look forward to your updates, 

Sam

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 2

thanks guys for the comments .

beefy , any time you think I'm out of step , please tell me , only too willing to get advise .

erk , you wouldn't have the link to your build please mate , would love to see it . 

have to appologise to you guy's too , could have sworn i bought the pontos kit , but have found out it's the MK1 one instead . live and learn .

got a bit of the PE work done , bit out of touch , having a rest now , because I need a drink .

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 14

Thats  a great start on the PE  bits   very  impressive  stuff  makes so much difference to the ole girl.

Here's the link to  my  build   -  

Erk.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, steve5 said:

bit out of touch , having a rest now , because I need a drink .

Not to sure I would agree with you being out of touch on the PE but will agree with you on the drink enjoy  :drink:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 4

thanks erk for the link , cheers beefy and faraway .

started taking some deck furniture off of the deck , to accommodate the wooden sticker ,

spacer.png

spacer.png

the wood deck finally down .

spacer.png

also got a bit more fiddly PE done .

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 10

1 hour ago, steve5 said:

the rear deck , not really sure what they call this , anyway it's installed .

Gidday Steve, first photo that area is the quarterdeck - officer country. The Captain's walk around the stern looks very good too. Very intricate lattice on the balustrading. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2