PK-178 1/76 Challenger I (Revell rebox)

Great stuff Tim

I'm with you on discovering new kits as well, this is a new one to me.

As the box says its 100 parts it should look the business when it's finished,  does it also come with the diorama base ?

Best of luck.

Cheers Pat 

I'll second all that, there are so many old Matchbox kits that have or still do appear in Revell boxes, which is great to see for model builders like us. We really should be thankful that Revell did buy up many of Matchbox's old moulds as it would have been very difficult to get examples of these had they not. Now there's a thought.... imagine what some of these original Matchbox kits would cost now, had they not have been rebranded by Revell?? An excellent choice Tim, the Challenger was Matchbox's last AFV kit design so is a very worthy inclusion in this GB. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

I built this in the original boxing, finished in the usual green/black and I seem to remember it went together pretty well. I believe this was the first small scale kit of the Challenger I until Trumpeter started issuing it, though technically it should perhaps be called the Challenger II as the wartime A 30 was really the Challenger I, but as it was so little known maybe it was overlooked.

DSC04965-crop

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

... though technically it should perhaps be called the Challenger II as the wartime A 30 was really the Challenger I, but as it was so little known maybe it was overlooked.

DSC04965-crop

Pete

Good point Pete. 

But then does that mean the Challenger 2 is really Challenger 3 and in aircraft the Tonka is the Tornado II and the current Typhoon the Typhoon II and the future Tempest the Tempest II or is there an unofficial statute of limitations on renames?  

(I suppose we can be thankful that at least Ships  technically have renames in brackets!). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

the Challenger was Matchbox's last AFV kit design so is a very worthy inclusion in this GB. 

And if there was a Quiz Question on it’s release date I would be way out as I could have sworn it was first issued at the latest in the mid 80s. Seeing 1988 as the initial release really surprised me. 

4 hours ago, Rob S said:

And if there was a Quiz Question on it’s release date I would be way out as I could have sworn it was first issued at the latest in the mid 80s. Seeing 1988 as the initial release really surprised me. 

Just in time for me to build it in European colours and then see it on the TV shortly afterwards in the Gulf - Oh Bother, sand and extra armour anybody?

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

With the halftrack finished it's time to get the 'what's in the box' photos up for this one. While it does come with a base but it's not a particularly inspiring one.

51839564245_b985bfded8_c.jpgDSCF3012 by timothy jones, on Flickr

51839565900_d35585126f_c.jpgDSCF3016 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Although the box art and instructions show a desert camouflaged example mine will be in the green/black scheme.

51838941198_06ee86075a_c.jpgDSCF3014 by timothy jones, on Flickr

51839562375_2882f5902a_c.jpgDSCF3015 by timothy jones, on Flickr

• Like 7

Work has commenced and so far it's gone together well, although the multi piece turret will need a bit of filler on some of the joins.

51842906781_54c454ac87_c.jpgDSCF3031 by timothy jones, on Flickr

51843020163_48d22bc9fe_c.jpgDSCF3032 by timothy jones, on Flickr

The wheels have been assembled and the base has had a coat of paint.

51842904991_5802ce0fac_c.jpgDSCF3030 by timothy jones, on Flickr

I'll get some primer on the hull tomorrow and then I can get the wheels on. 

• Like 10

On 1/26/2022 at 7:39 PM, JamesP said:

I assemble the wheels on the sprue too :D

Thats a good tip, I might investigate that when I finally dip my toes back into a little Matchbox armour. 

Cheers.. Dave 

A nice start Tim. Those sprues do look quite good and its nice to know this kit is fairly readily available once again under the Revell Banner. I quite like the look of Post War British tanks and this would be a must have subject it one wanted to build the series. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

A bit more progress. The lower hull and wheels have been painted green with Revell tar black on the tyres, then the wheels were fitted apart from the drive sprockets which will go on with the tracks as per the instructions.

51856745676_8385beceb8_c.jpgDSCF3048 by timothy jones, on Flickr

The skirts have been fitted to the upper hull and given a coat of paint inside and out.

51856831138_5706040a1a_c.jpgDSCF3051 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Next up is painting and fitting the tracks, then I can get the upper and lower hull together. 

• Like 7

The tracks have been painted and fitted. I did have to stretch them quite a bit so I might have mounted the suspension arms a bit low. 

51860978034_4e7607e50a_c.jpgDSCF3053 by timothy jones, on Flickr

The upper hull has been painted and fitted to the lower hull. Luckily the skirts hide the stretched parts of the tracks. 🙂

51861299435_2681d57b4f_c.jpgDSCF3057 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Just the turret left to do now which still needs a bit of PSR.

Edited by TimJ
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Ten days since the last update and this has slipped down to page six. 😲 

Over the past few days the turret has been painted and the remaining parts added.

51869638873_a01cc35924_c.jpgDSCF3061 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Yesterday the decals went on. 

51880355811_76c7635982_c.jpgDSCF3068 by timothy jones, on Flickr

51880433653_11dbde696d_c.jpgDSCF3067 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Not a lot left to do now to finish this then I can move on to the Lancaster. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

think I need to add this one to my to do/buy list........

Now there’s a GB thread starter “What models have you bought after being inspired by a GB WIP thread or Gallery Photo”? Personally, I have way too many and I would bite you all to tears. 

Excellent results on the Challenger as well @TimJ, this kit was part of my wants list and after seeing your photos has slowly moved up a few places. Lovely stuff mate, you should be proud of this. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/01/2022 at 12:03, Rabbit Leader said:

imagine what some of these original Matchbox kits would cost now, had they not have been rebranded by Revell?? An excellent choice Tim, the Challenger was Matchbox's last AFV kit design so is a very worthy inclusion in this GB. 

Maybe worth noting that Revell then tooled up their own Challenger in 1998, https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03110-british-main-battle-tank-challenger-1--154699

On 21/01/2022 at 20:31, PeterB said:

then see it on the TV shortly afterwards in the Gulf - Oh Bother, sand and extra armour anybody?

Does it have much extra armour?

I got given one of the Revell kits at the model club xmas raffle, and quite fancied a desert one, as we have a Gulf war 1 competition theme one club meet...  I did some searching, but didn't turn up much, but did notice some extra armour on the front of some pics..   I 'd better ask in a specific thread rather than clutter this one up anymore

On 24/01/2022 at 01:10, TimJ said:

Although the box art and instructions show a desert camouflaged example mine will be in the green/black scheme.

Are the desert decals spare by any chance? See above :rolleyes:

I note they are on the cover of this book, 

https://www.scalemates.com/books/challenger-1-main-battle-tank-photosniper-11-robert-griffin--106528

Neat work so far, :goodjob:

cheers

T

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Does it have much extra armour?

I got given one of the Revell kits at the model club xmas raffle, and quite fancied a desert one, as we have a Gulf war 1 competition theme one club meet...  I did some searching, but didn't turn up much, but did notice some extra armour on the front of some pics..   I 'd better ask in a specific thread rather than clutter this one up anymore

Are the desert decals spare by any chance? See above :rolleyes:

I note they are on the cover of this book, 

https://www.scalemates.com/books/challenger-1-main-battle-tank-photosniper-11-robert-griffin--106528

Probably not Troy - I think I was confusing it with the Abrams and maybe Challenger 2's in Gulf 2 with the various bits added on to protect against RPG's.

Pete

• Thanks 1