Obscureo F-100c Wing and tail

VT Red Sox Fan

Hello forum,

Looking very long range to start a Trumpeter 1/72 F-100C and noted a lot of folks have used the Obscureo 1/72 F-100C wing/tail on their builds of this kit—they still have a website, but the last update is like 2018.  Are they still in business and/or does anyone know where to purchase their products aside from hobby shows or bidding 

Thanks  the advice 

Eein

He certainly is, Erwin. I picked up a F-100C wing and fin set from him a while back. However, I stuck with the Trumpeter. The Obscurco set was short shot and lacked detail, in my view.  TRy looking at a few reviews before buying, I'd suggest. While not perfect, the Trumpeter isnt so bad ;). What I would definetly suggest is getting a new nose intake from Renaissance in France https://www.renaissance-models.com/ter/index.php/avions-toutes-echelles/echelle-1-72/produits/923-na-f100d-nez. If there is anyway area of the Trumper that needs attention it is that! 

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@VT Red Sox FanErwin,

As I recall, the main problems with the Trumpeter F-100C kit were the vertical stabilizer chord, flat lower intake lip, inner main gear doors, and the 'sit' of the finished model. I have linked to an excellent Internet Modeler review below that covers all the flaws/fixes in the kit. The wing is said to be too thin. Obscureco makes a resin replacement wing for the F-100C (OBS72013) and one for the F-100D/F (OBS72012) Both wings are for the Esci/Italeri kits, but I guess they would work with the Trumpeter kits as well.  I think if you revise the wheel bays on the Trumpeter kit to be deeper, and go with accurate aftermarket wheels (ResIM?) you  can correct the sit issue caused by the too-thin wing, which is much less noticeable than the level sit of the Trumpeter kits. Need to extend the nose gear oleo, as well. (You can rob the intake from the old Hasegawa kit, as it is correct in shape, and IIRC, Renaissance Models makes a resin replacement intake for the Trumpeter F-100/D kits.You could also try the nose gear strut from the Hasegawa kit, as I  think it is the correct length-  the Hasegawa Hun can be had very cheaply and would give you the the correct intake, nose gear strut, fin/rudder, and correct sized main wheels for less money than the resin intake by itself, I would think. Keep in mind, Erwin, that the Trumpeter kits use LH/RH wing halves, and the Esci/Italeri/Obscureco wings are one piece lower, including the belly center section, and two piece uppers, so using the Obscureco wing on the Trumpeter kit would require some surgery. Just so you know!

Mike

http://www.obscureco.com/products.html

https://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemodels/flaviation/Trumpeter-1-72-F-100.php

Haven't played with my F-100C/D/F kits in a while, so I might well be kinda fuzzy  on  some details- @RidgeRunner has done Huns, IIRC, and he might be able to confirm/correct me!

Edited by 72modeler
corrected text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The wings can’t be easily fixed, but you can fake it by replacing the kit wheels with some from Aires or Reskit and shortening the main gear struts by ~1 mm for the 1/72 kit. The nose gear strut can be cut and pinned (or just left alone). For the inboard main gear doors, you can glue them closed and fill the seams where the small sections attach. The doors were latched shut and didn’t bleed down when hydraulic pressure dropped. You’d often see parked F-100s with these and the large nose gear door closed. Use the 1/72 drawings from Detail & Scale to fix the tail. They were drawn by Dana Bell, IIRC, and are supposed to be pretty accurate. I don’t know of any fixes for the cockpit except for scratchbuilding. Fortunately, there isn’t much to see in 1/72.

Ben

• Thanks 2

Erwin,

as I said above, what I would definetly suggest is getting a new nose intake from Renaissance in France https://www.renaissance-models.com/ter/index.php/avions-toutes-echelles/echelle-1-72/produits/923-na-f100d-nez. If there is anyway area of the Trumper that needs attention it is that! They despatch very very quickly.

I’d definitely go for resin wheels. The nosewheel strut can be fixed. I used the Trumper wing before and really didn’t worry too much about a scale inch here or there. 

Martin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Martin is right, you definitely want to fix the nose, too. Otherwise, it looks like it suffered a nose gear collapse. It's probably the most obvious flaw in the single-seat Trumpeter F-100 kits, next to the incorrect "sit," Renaissance makes great products. Another option is XMM's replacement nose with a complete intake duct. I don't have any experience with his 1/72 products, but I've used several of his 1/48 intakes and they're very nice.

spacer.png

Ben

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow—thank you all for the great advice.  @Mike—thanks for de-duping my dual threads on the same subject.  As for the F-100, I forgot Martin @RidgeRunner has done a few and the gang of @Tony Edmundson, @Paul Bradley, @72modeler, & @Ben Brown have sparked the next after market negotiation with my home boss😎.  I am really looking forward to this build—I was looking @TheRealMrEd’s F-100 build and it is thread I am most familiar with.  Do any of you chaps have recommendations for early F-100 builds—I am thinking metalizing this project will be a key part of the build—best to all & thank you again for the great advice—Erwin

• Like 1

Always happy to help! The F-100 is one of my favorite jets.😎

If you want a natural metal F-100, you’ll need to pick one from prior to about 1957-58. That was around the time they started painting F-100s silver lacquer.

The only 1/72 decals I’m aware of for the F-100C is an Xtradecals sheet and an ancient one (1980s) with Skyblazers livery, but I can’t recall the name. I think it was a German company. Xtradecal X72109 has decals for 54-1752, which flew across the Atlantic for a publicity stunt. It was NMF and carried 400-gal drop tanks (steal those from an F-101 Voodoo kit). It looks like the jets from the 454th FBS and the 36th TFW were also NMF. The 4th FDW jet was painted silver by the time depicted in the decals. Note that the style of the serial numbers, buzz numbers, USAF, and US AIR FORCE decals are completely wrong on this and every other Xtradecal F-100 sheet. There’s no excuse for botching them so badly; the Tech Order that shows exactly how these are to be designed has been available online for years!

Others with more 1/72 knowledge might know of other F-100C decals.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

@VT Red Sox Fan

Erwin, You could looks for these: sheets that have F-100C's on them; I think they are all OOP, but do a search for 1/72 F-100C decal sheets on your favorite auction site. @Ben Brown is correct about F-100's getting aluminum paint in the late 50's, just like F-105's did- before they both went to camouflage, but I'm not sure any C model Huns were camouflaged- maybe ANG aircraft? Good luck!

Mike

Superscale 72-357

Printscale 72-241

Esci 91U

Superscale 72-254

Superscale 72-97

Xtradecal 72-109

Wolfpak Decals did a Colorado Guard SEA camoed F-100C on sheet 72-047  LINK  and an aluminum lacquer Kansas Guard C model on sheet 72-052 SECOND LINK  The first is out of stock, but the second is still available at Fantasy Printshop.  I bought two sets of the Obscureco F-100C wings unfortunately both were warped.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

On 1/21/2022 at 7:22 PM, 72modeler said:

Renaissance Models makes a resin replacement intake for the Trumpeter F-100/D kits.

“What I would definetly suggest is getting a new nose intake from Renaissance in France https://www.renaissance-models.com/ter/index.php/avions-toutes-echelles/echelle-1-72/produits/923-na-f100d-nez. If there is anyway area of the Trumper that needs attention it is that! ”

Erwin @VT Red Sox Fan,

I’d definitely go for resin wheels. The nosewheel strut can be fixed. I used the Trumper wing before and really didn’t worry too much about a scale inch here or there. 

Martin

Ersin, PM sent. 

Martin

FWIW - I have the 1:72 resin F-100 wing with separate control surfaces made by Blackbird Models. It's designed for the ESCI/Italeri kit as is the Obscureco set. It looks very nice. Blackbird's website show it out of stock, but it might be worth contacting them. Who know, they might have some extras.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all—this is very useful.  After looking @TheRealMrEd’s amazing build below, I am curious if anyone has a recommended F-100C build thread utilizing the kit tail with the resin intakes/wheels it seems the team thinks is best.  Again, thank you all for the help and making this fun—best, Erwin

On 1/24/2022 at 5:17 PM, Murph said:

Wolfpak Decals did a Colorado Guard SEA camoed F-100C on sheet 72-047  LINK  and an aluminum lacquer Kansas Guard C model on sheet 72-052 SECOND LINK  The first is out of stock, but the second is still available at Fantasy Printshop.  I bought two sets of the Obscureco F-100C wings unfortunately both were warped.

Regards,

Murph

Murph, the old hot water, not boiling hot - trick may work t straighten out those wings...

Ed

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 12:20 AM, Ben Brown said:

The only 1/72 decals I’m aware of for the F-100C is an Xtradecals sheet and an ancient one (1980s) with Skyblazers livery, but I can’t recall the name.

DutchDecal recently released a very nice sheet with several Soesterberg 32nd TFS aircraft, including a colourful F-100C: 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dutch-decal-dd72074-westland-lynx-uh-sh-14a-b-c-d--270741

Highy recommended. 

Cheers,

Andre (no commrcial connection to DutchDecal other that liking their sheets)

Microscale 72-357

Printscale 72-442

Caracal 72-071

Superscale 72-334

Esci 91

There is also a sheet of custom-made 1/72 decals for F-100C's; for sale on ebay- if you do an internet search for "1/72 F-100C decal sheets,' you will see them.

There are some other Esci and Microscale F-100C sheets, but they are long OOP and probably would be impossible to find.

Mike

• 1 year later...
On 1/23/2022 at 6:49 PM, 72modeler said:

@VT Red Sox Fan

Erwin, You could looks for these: sheets that have F-100C's on them; I think they are all OOP, but do a search for 1/72 F-100C decal sheets on your favorite auction site. @Ben Brown is correct about F-100's getting aluminum paint in the late 50's, just like F-105's did- before they both went to camouflage, but I'm not sure any C model Huns were camouflaged- maybe ANG aircraft? Good luck!

Mike

F-100C units of the Air National Guard served in Viet Nam in some numbers and their airplanes were camouflaged in the standard two tone green and tan on top with light grey undersides.