Special Hobby Meteor NF14 kit question

Dave Fleming

Not much of an authority on Meatboxes, single or two-seat, but I do have some references that are considered to be pretty good- SAM Modelers Datafile 8 and Valiant Wings  Airframe Allbum 15 on the Meteor. Both monographs mention that the NF13 was built as a tropical version with a cold air conditioning unit that had an intake on each side of the rear fuselage above the trailing edge at the wing root; both books also include a drawing that showed the intakes. There was nothing I could find in either reference, either in the text, photos, or drawings that showed air conditioning system intakes for the NF14.

That being said, I did see photos and  a color profile of No. 60 Sq. NF14's that showed a small curved intake on  top of the rear fuselage  that might have been for an air air conditioning system. See the linked illustration below.

I am guessing that maybe all NF14's had an air conditioning system as standard equipment, and not just for tropical regions- perhaps a welcome feature in view of that big bubble canopy that really soaked up the sun, but I didn't see any evidence of intakes for it in any of the references I have on the Meteor. Maybe our resident RAF jet savante, John, alias @canberra kid, might be able to help you more than I.

I do have the SH NF14 kit, and I can get up to the hobby room/kit mausoleum tomorrow and check out what's on the sprues- I will report what I  find here.

Mike

The curved intake on the upper rear fuselage of this profile might be for the air conditioning system.

https://www.deviantart.com/claveworks/art/Meteor-NF14-GB-60-Sqn-1-594977183

You can just see one of the small curved intakes behind the canopy in this NF 14 photo; I haven't seen any intakes under the fuselage in any of the photos I have seen. BTW, I checked my SH NF 14 kit, and on the D sprue, there are two small curved intakes, labeled part 27 that are shown to be mounted on the upper fuselage behind the canopy.

https://www.nationalcoldwarexhibition.org/research/collections/armstrong-whitworth-meteor-nf14/

I have NF 14 articles in two different Air Enthusiast Quarterlies, Airpower, three volumes of Scale Aircraft Modelling, and none of them showed any intakes except those on top of the rear fuselage; there was on e photo in AEQ 25 that showed two No, 60 Sq. NF14's in formation, but only the upper fuselage intakes were visible.

Didn't Haynes, Warpaint,  and 4+ Publications do monographs on the Meteor? Maybe there is some mention or photographs of intakes on the lower fuselage.

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling added text
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Does anyone know if the SH NF14 kit has the air conditioning intakes that were fitted under the fuselage of the 60 Squadron aircraft?

Had a look at the review,  but they aren't apparent

No it doesn't Dave.  

Both intakes are missing despite there being 60Sqdn markings on the decal sheet.  The small intake on the roof of the rear fuselage is there (Part D27).

I've only just opened the 14 kit, I will have to open the others and see what else is wrong/missing.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

No it doesn't Dave.  

Both intakes are missing despite there being 60Sqdn markings on the decal sheet.  The small intake on the roof of the rear fuselage is there (Part D27).

I've only just opened the 14 kit, I will have to open the others and see what else is wrong/missing.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I've got the NF11 and 12 kits, and couldn't see anything that could be them. need to see what the NF13 has...

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Thanks Dennis, I've got the NF11 and 12 kits, and couldn't see anything that could be them. need to see what the NF13 has...

On a hunch, I checked one of my many Matchbox Meteor kits -- It does not have them either !!

Dennis

1 hour ago, sloegin57 said:

On a hunch, I checked one of my many Matchbox Meteor kits -- It does not have them either !!

Dennis

The A/C vents were originally a feature of the NF 13 which was basically a tropicalised NF 11.  The same system was only retrofitted to NF 14 that were based in the  far east.

Selwyn 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Selwyn said:

The A/C vents were originally a feature of the NF 13 which was basically a tropicalised NF 11.  The same system was only retrofitted to NF 14 that were based in the  far east.

Were they above or below the fuselage, Selwyn? I guess that's why you see them mostly on No. 60 Sq. NF14's.

Mike

23 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Not much of an authority on Meatboxes, single or two-seat, but I do have some references that are considered to be pretty good- SAM Modelers Datafile 8 and Valiant Wings  Airframe Allbum 15 on the Meteor. Both monographs mention that the NF13 was built as a tropical version with a cold air conditioning unit that had an intake on each side of the rear fuselage above the trailing edge at the wing root; both books also include a drawing that showed the intakes. There was nothing I could find in either reference, either in the text, photos, or drawings that showed air conditioning system intakes for the NF14.

That being said, I did see photos and  a color profile of No. 60 Sq. NF14's that showed a small curved intake on  top of the rear fuselage  that might have been for an air air conditioning system. See the linked illustration below.

I am guessing that maybe all NF14's had an air conditioning system as standard equipment, and not just for tropical regions- perhaps a welcome feature in view of that big bubble canopy that really soaked up the sun, but I didn't see any evidence of intakes for it in any of the references I have on the Meteor. Maybe our resident RAF jet savante, John, alias @canberra kid, might be able to help you more than I.

I do have the SH NF14 kit, and I can get up to the hobby room/kit mausoleum tomorrow and check out what's on the sprues- I will report what I  find here.

Mike

The curved intake on the upper rear fuselage of this profile might be for the air conditioning system.

You can just see one of the small curved intakes behind the canopy in this NF 14 photo; I haven't seen any intakes under the fuselage in any of the photos I have seen. BTW, I checked my SH NF 14 kit, and on the D sprue, there are two small curved intakes, labeled part 27 that are shown to be mounted on the upper fuselage behind the canopy.

https://www.nationalcoldwarexhibition.org/research/collections/armstrong-whitworth-meteor-nf14/

I have NF 14 articles in two different Air Enthusiast Quarterlies, Airpower, three volumes of Scale Aircraft Modelling, and none of them showed any intakes except those on top of the rear fuselage; there was on e photo in AEQ 25 that showed two No, 60 Sq. NF14's in formation, but only the upper fuselage intakes were visible.

Didn't Haynes, Warpaint,  and 4+ Publications do monographs on the Meteor? Maybe there is some mention or photographs of intakes on the lower fuselage.

The intakes sit below the cockpit just forward of the fuel tank. As noted, they were introduced in the NF13 and added to the NF14s that served in the Far East. You can see them on this shot of the NF13 in the IAF Museum. They are quite obvious on all the 60 Sqn 14s. Not too difficult to scratch build.

meteor_nf-13_02_of_39.jpg

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Dave Fleming

Dave,

Thank you sooo much for the posted photo! When I saw the first poster's question, I looked at a LOT of photos and all of my Meteor references, and yours is the first photo I have seen of the intakes as fitted to an NF14; I saw one photo of two No. 60 Sq NF14's flying in formation, and the photo was of low quality and resolution and what I thought might have been the intakes mentioned was hidden in  shadow. Disappointed that none of the 'serious' Meteor monographs I had in my library either mentioned their existence or illustrated them!  Much appreciated! You are right- they should be easy to scratch build or steal from a kit that has something close! :thanks:

Mike

12 hours ago, 72modeler said:

...yours is the first photo I have seen of the intakes as fitted to an NF14...

@72modeler: Mike, just to clarify, the picture @Dave Fleming posted is of an NF13, not NF14, although I assume the installation would be the same. I still don't have any of the Special Hobby NFs (been waiting for the 13) but in the sprue pics the dedicated NF11-13 one (the one containing the fuselage parts) has parts 8 and 10 marked as not to be used in the NF.11 boxings that look like they me be the intakes in question. Can any kit owner confirm my suspicions?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fukuryu said:

@72modeler: Mike, just to clarify, the picture @Dave Fleming posted is of an NF13, not NF14, although I assume the installation would be the same. I still don't have any of the Special Hobby NFs (been waiting for the 13) but in the sprue pics the dedicated NF11-13 one (the one containing the fuselage parts) has parts 8 and 10 marked as not to be used in the NF.11 boxings that look like they me be the intakes in question. Can any kit owner confirm my suspicions?

Thanks, Daniel! I will check for them on the sprue of my SH NF14 kit- now that I know what to look for!

Mike

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 12:55 AM, 72modeler said:

Mike

Sorry Mike, I have nothing on this.

John

• Sad 1

I've looked at my images of the NF.13 at Staverton to see if I have any detail shots of the extra intakes, but the they seem to missing from this airframe.

A few months back there was a whole load of slides of 60 Sqn NF.14s for sale on Ebay, some really nice detail shots of operational aircraft, but sadly missed out on them.

50001045206_e0a68612f9_b.jpgMeteor NF.14 WS800 by James Thomas, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The subject intakes are on Sprue 'A' (Fuselage halves) in kit number SH 72437 - Meteor NF Mk.11.  They are NOT on similar Sprue A's in either kit numbers SH72360 - Meteor NF.12 or kit number 72364 - Meteor NF.14.

As it is an NF.11 kit, no mention is made regarding installation

I have not yet seen an advert for a Meteor NF.13 kit although the afore mentioned Sprue A in the NF.11 kit is marked "Meteor NF.11 and NF.13"

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They're not included in the 1/48 Sword NF.14 either; although in fairness that kit does not include 60 Sqn markings, so probably would not be appropriate. However this is actually the subject I am planning when @26Decals releases a 1/48 NF.14 decal sheet (provided Ray includes a 60 Sqn option of course 🙂). So its a great spot for my purposes.  

Rich

19 minutes ago, sloegin57 said:

he subject intakes are on Sprue 'A' (Fuselage halves) in kit number SH 72437 - Meteor NF Mk.11.  They are NOT on similar Sprue A's in either kit numbers SH72360 - Meteor

Ah yes... there they are!  Bizarely I had this kit beside me unopened all the time :doh: - as previously highlighted parts 8 or 10 

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/2/9/1/1313291-16-instructions.pdf

Rich

Yes they are on sprue A in the 72437 NF11 kit. Incidentally, WM167 the now grounded but recent flyer NF11/TT20 has the air intakes but unsure when it acquired them. I can’t see any other -20s with them fitted.

2 hours ago, viscount806x said:

Yes they are on sprue A in the 72437 NF11 kit. Incidentally, WM167 the now grounded but recent flyer NF11/TT20 has the air on intakes but unsure when it acquired them. I can’t see any other -20s with them fitted.

Yes! They are also in my SH NF11 kit, 72348 NATO Users. Not in my SH NF14 kit, but it does have the small curved intake that is to the left of the centerline on the upper  fuselage aft of the canopy. I think I'm going to look at the various small intakes that Quickboost offers that would work with some reshaping, as I think the kit intakes are a little too small, and they are in two pieces- workable, but fiddly, as you UK types say!

Mike

18 hours ago, viscount806x said:

Incidentally, WM167 the now grounded but recent flyer NF11/TT20 has the air intakes but unsure when it acquired them. I can’t see any other -20s with them fitted.

That's an interesting one, it certainly had them as early as 1976 (having been sold in 1975) - it might be an addition during her MOD(PE) service

• 2 weeks later...