Eduard Tempest Mkv (Weekend Edn)

Dunc2610

So, this is my first 'proper' build outside of an Airfix P51D and Bolton Paul Defiant (both in 1/72) I threw together as my first builds returning to hobby since I was a child! 

I went for a weekend edition so it wasn't too overwhelming. I forget to take pics of the cockpit before I put it all together, but so far I've used the decals the harness and instrument panel. And this is where I'm up to now...

20220120-203450.jpg

20220120-203425.jpg

20220120-203407.jpg

20220120-203358.jpg

Be kind 😂 

• Like 5

I built the ProfiPACK version of this kit and really enjoyed it, yours is looking good so far, those seat harness decals look ok, the PE ones can sometimes look too bright, and your instrument panel look very good .

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quick update, in the interests of painting totally bottom about face, I laid down a black primer coat, then masked off the areas I wanted to the black/white stripes, then did a grey undercoat for these before applying the white. I'm using Mr Colour Aqueous paints however the white i'm finding is really translucent, I've applied several coats to the point I've lost detail and not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Is there anyway to remove the excess paint and get a more consistent solid colour?

20220124-151434.jpg
20220124-151437.jpg
20220124-151441.jpg
20220124-151444.jpg
20220124-151450.jpg
20220124-151457.jpg
20220124-151504.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So this is where I'm up to... 

I can't say I'm overly happy, the black/white lines are wonky and uneven, I messed up the spinner and had to separate it from the back part as I stupily assembled it before spraying then props, my masking skills are non existent, I picked up the module once with thinner on my thumb and smudged the paint by the exhausts, I picked up the model when the rear stripes were wet due to touching in (as my masking wasn't good enough). To name but a few issues! 

One thing I was pleased with was how the camp came out, I used topnotch vinyl masks for it and they worked well. 

I need to varnish, apply decals and weather and then top coat and were done. This is the first eduard kit I've ever done and enjoyed it if not infuriated myself with my wobbly hands and lack of finesse! 😂 

20220210-181848.jpg

20220210-181833.jpg

20220210-181827.jpg

20220210-181820.jpg

20220210-181623.jpg

Edited by Dunc2610
  • Like 5

Very nice work there. It's a splendid kit, isn't it?

Don't tear yourself up over wonky and uneven stripes - the originals would not have been applied with precision for lack of time and resources. This is actually more realistic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That looks fantastic Dunc!  

1 hour ago, Steve Coombs said:

Don't tear yourself up over wonky and uneven stripes - the originals would not have been applied with precision for lack of time and resources. This is actually more realistic.

That's exactly what I was about to say.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Coombs said:

Very nice work there. It's a splendid kit, isn't it?

It's the first time I've ever made anything this scale, anything I built as a kid, or as a warm up to this was 1/72. After this I have the tamiya 1/48 spit, airfix hurricane, the eduard 'the sweeps' kits and then the eduard 'the few'. I shall be doing no more black/white lines. I think I rush things, I painted this all bottom about face too! 🙈

@Dunc2610 your Tempest’s looking rather good; I wish that mine was as far on as that, it’s been languishing for months.

Sadly, if you’re doing Roland Beamont’s JN751, she was the only Tempest that I know of that had her invasion stripes applied very neatly by the paint and dope shop at Hawkers’ Langley factory.  For just about every other Tempest at the time @Steve Coombs and @k5054nz are spot on, especially those panted in a hurry on or about June 5th 1944.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stever219 said:

@Dunc2610 your Tempest’s looking rather good; I wish that mine was as far on as that, it’s been languishing for months.

Sadly, if you’re doing Roland Beamont’s JN751, she was the only Tempest that I know of that had her invasion stripes applied very neatly by the paint and dope shop at Hawkers’ Langley factory.  For just about every other Tempest at the time @Steve Coombs and @k5054nz are spot on, especially those panted in a hurry on or about June 5th 1944.

I am indeed doing JN751! Hence my frustration, but I appreciate the comments! In my defence its the first time I've ever done stripes, a whole lot of firsts on this model. I'm sure if I was to do it again, I'd make a better fist of it! 

1 minute ago, Dunc2610 said:

I am indeed doing JN751! Hence my frustration, but I appreciate the comments! In my defence its the first time I've ever done stripes, a whole lot of firsts on this model. I'm sure if I was to do it again, I'd make a better fist of it! 

She’s on my “to do” list too, but I think I’m going to bottle it and depict her on June 4th!

I’ve never had much joy doing invasion stripes either, in 1/48th or 1/72th scale either, especially on fuselages with compound curves and wing root fillets in the way but I suppose we’ll all just have to keep trying!

• Like 1

Invasion stripes are a daunting task, and one that is so worth it. I've done it a few times now myself, and every time is just as frustrating, and none of them are perfect. However! When it's on the shelf and 99% of the time being viewed from at least 3 feet away, they all look great! So don't beat yourself up, give yourself a pat on the back - you DID it! Better than shying away and never trying. I really like them, by the way. Big whoop they're not perfect. It's a plastic model, not the real thing...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I called time on this one, I added decals and frankly had a nightmare with them, I didn't add any of the stensils, just main decals and got fed up with them. Also, the varnish didn't go down particularly well pre decals and have no idea why. It wasn't smooth, despite it being gloss, so not sure what went wrong with it. 

20220224-144859.jpg
20220224-144856.jpg
20220224-144844.jpg
20220224-144830.jpg
20220224-144226.jpg
20220224-144215.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1