Bedford RL in 1:35 scale - does anyone other than Accurate Armour produce them?

bootneck

I am trying to find a 1:35 scale Bedford RL but the only one I can see is the Accurate Armour version.  That does look to be a beautiful model but it is way out of my price range.   Anybody know of any other producer that does this vehicle to 1:35 scale?

cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,just seen the AA kit,a bit eyewatering on the price.The only other kit was that marketed by Airfix to 1.32nd scale in their ready made series from the late 60's,early 70's.These can still be found on auction/second hand kit sellers sites starting at roughly £25.They are basic though,but could form the basis for a well detailed model.

I seem to recall an old magazine article about building an RL from scratch,but can't remember which magazine,its an age think,or I may have dreamt it lol.You could also try MAFVA members if they have any info.

Dave.

Edited by Alfisti

Mike, a few years ago, up at the Nationals, I was talking to one of the AA people about the possibility of me building an R. Signals Comcen vehicle, based on an RL. But as I explained to him, I didn't want all that was in the kit, just the chassis and cab, so he said, tell them what I required, and they would put a package together for me. So I think that it might be worth your while getting in contact with them and seeing what they can do for you.

HTHs.

John.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alfisti said:

Hi Mike,just seen the AA kit,a bit eyewatering on the price.The only other kit was that marketed by Airfix to 1.32nd scale in their ready made series from the late 60's,early 70's.These can still be found on auction/second hand kit sellers sites starting at roughly £25.They are basic though,but could form the basis for a well detailed model.

I seem to recall an old magazine article about building an RL from scratch,but can't remember which magazine,its an age think,or I may have dreamt it lol.You could also try MAFVA members if they have any info.

Hi Dave,  Ah!  I remember that model from decades ago and seem to remember it being a bit hollow and flimsy.  Nontheless, that could be a workable option; cheers.   If you, or anyone else, remembers where the magazine article was then I would like to hear about it.

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Mike, a few years ago, up at the Nationals, I was talking to one of the AA people about the possibility of me building an R. Signals Comcen vehicle, based on an RL. But as I explained to him, I didn't want all that was in the kit, just the chassis and cab, so he said, tell them what I required, and they would put a package together for me. So I think that it might be worth your while getting in contact with them and seeing what they can do for you.

Hello John,  I hadn't even thought of that and it could be a very good idea indeed.  I shall make some overtures to AA and see if anything similar can be done.

With regard to scratchbuilding parts, such as the chassis etc.,  I have just seen a manual online that contains the two pages of diagrams below, which is just what I need. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The manual is a bit expensive for me, at £34 + shipping, especially for just two pages.  Does anyone have this book?  If so, could the plans pages be scanned please?  I'm quite happy to pay for that service and it would really help me to get started on the scratchbuild.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Does anyone have access to this document or plans?   I have the Mick Bell plans 006. 007 and 166 but thy only shows the bodywork and not a detailed view of the chassis and transmission arrangements.  It would really help my project if someone could scan those plans from the manual for me.

Cheers,

Mike

I scratchbuilt an RL, well sort of two actually.  It was not that difficult.  The first was an Armoured RL (so no roundy cab) using the Airfix QL chassis and wheels which were easily modified.  Later I did an RL cab as one was mounted on a bush rail truck in New Zealand.  Making the cab was actually fairly simple once I figured how to do it.  I made made three sets of male (balsa) &  female (hardboard outline) moulds so I could make three simple heat pressed structures for the three layers of the cab. The top roof section was done in plastic card then in clear plastic for the windows.  Great picture of it below by my friend Kevin Crosado. 

51834835683_eeae9cff50.jpg23588901-0456-4690-B359-9797C4E3166D by tankienz, on Flickr