SCRATCH BUILDING THE INTERIOR OF A 1:72 SCALE AIRFIX SPITFIRE MK1A

Fozzy

7 hours ago, Fozzy said:

cockpit-detail-11.jpg

very impressive work...

easyfix, red crowbar is post war, wartime is black, steel, grey green.

Probably too late, but most of the internals area of Spitfires up until at least 1944, were painted aluminium,  except for the cockpit, and that up top the seat bulkhead.

The change point can be seen in images here

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/07/anatomy-of-spitfire-cockpit.html

there are 5 films here

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060020636

at 2.25 in reel 3 , the engine is being inspected, which shows mid tone on the engine bearers and firewall,  so that does look to all be in grey green,   (which I'd not noticed before) so you are all good there,   but the gun bays and radio compartment, inner section of the wheel well (the leg part) and flaps all show aluminium paint, as are the insides of the engine bay panels, which maybe of help.

If you have the time the films are well worth a watch,  as they show a mass of airframe detail, and how much went into keeping them working. 

Great project :goodjob:

HTH

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

very impressive work...

easyfix, red crowbar is post war, wartime is black, steel, grey green.

Probably too late, but most of the internals area of Spitfires up until at least 1944, were painted aluminium,  except for the cockpit, and that up top the seat bulkhead.

The change point can be seen in images here

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/07/anatomy-of-spitfire-cockpit.html

there are 5 films here

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060020636

at 2.25 in reel 3 , the engine is being inspected, which shows mid tone on the engine bearers and firewall,  so that does look to all be in grey green,   (which I'd not noticed before) so you are all good there,   but the gun bays and radio compartment, inner section of the wheel well (the leg part) and flaps all show aluminium paint, as are the insides of the engine bay panels, which maybe of help.

If you have the time the films are well worth a watch,  as they show a mass of airframe detail, and how much went into keeping them working. 

Great project :goodjob:

HTH

Hi Troy

Thank you for your input. ...the films are very interesting and the photos I have seen before!

The crow bar colour  is always a bone of contention that is brought up in the model world. I know that the red crow bar is for post war aircraft but I have painted it red because this model is very small at 1:72 and I wanted it to stand out!.....I actually painted it green to start off with ...but it was lost!☹️...so for aesthetic reasons and artistic licence it ended up red!

I am intending to make a cutaway of the rear section and rest assured  I know that the fuselage rear of the pilot seat is aluminum. 

Cheers Troy😉

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to everyone!

Time for another update on my 1:72 scale Spitfire.......

I could have quite easily glued the two fuselage halves together but somehow I knew I couldn't resist having a go at detailing the rear!....I have actually done this before on a 1:24 scale Spit years ago and was very pleased of the out come ,so I just had to see if it was at all possible in such a small scale!

If I was to add detail then I had to make it a cutaway model. As I did years ago I cut away some of the port side of the rear of the fuselage leaving the starboard side in tact!

TAIL_INTERIOR_DETAIL_(1).jpg

Most of the scratch built detail will be on the inside of the starboard fuselage and so it was time to don my big boy strong glasses and get to work...starting with the ribs!

TAIL_INTERIOR_DETAIL_(2).jpg

With the two halves together...this is what it will look like....

TAIL_INTERIOR_DETAIL_(3).jpg

Here is the battery!.......

TAIL_INTERIOR_DETAIL_(4).jpg

The rest of the detail was then scratch built. All done except for the control cables........

TAIL_INTERIOR_DETAIL_(5).jpg

TAIL_INTERIOR_DETAIL_(6).jpg

Time to paint the parts. Before painting I added the control cables made from fuse wire.....it was almost a challenge too far!....Aluminum for the interior walls and a few other colours thrown in to bring out the detail!

INTERIOR_PAINTED_(1).jpg

INTERIOR_PAINTED_(2).jpg

INTERIOR_PAINTED_(3).jpg

Here's the inside of the port fuselage half showing the oxygen bottles and the teeny TR9D radio....blink and you'll miss it!!

INTERIOR_PAINTED_(4).jpg

INTERIOR_PAINTED_(5).jpg

Here it all is with the two halves temporarily tacked together.......

INTERIOR_PAINTED_(6).jpg

INTERIOR_PAINTED_(7).jpg

INTERIOR_PAINTED_(8).jpg

......and of course the scale shot!

INTERIOR_PAINTED_(9).jpg

That is as far as I have got so far!

I am trying to get it done as far as I can so that I can pack it in a packing case as I am in the process of re locating back to Blighty after years of living in Bulgaria!....I will miss this work shop of mine but as long as I have a work desk plonked somewhere in my flat........model on!

Thanks for looking in and see you on the next post!

Cheers

Fozzy

• Like 17

Lovely job on the interior Fozzy.

It seems you've discovered just how hard it is to line up all the longerons in 1:72!

Ian

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Lovely job on the interior Fozzy.

It seems you've discovered just how hard it is to line up all the longerons in 1:72!

Ian

Too true Ian!...best I could do!😉

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon guys

This will be the last post I will do from my workshop here in Bulgaria as I am in the process of moving back to UK...the land of the living and extreme expense!.....I will miss this old office of mine but now all my bits and bobs have been packed up ready for the journey. The continuation and next post on this Spitfire will be done from my little old flat in UK!

I have packed most of my stuff up and funnily enough the only checked in baggage for the flight is a suitcase full of modelling equipment!....much more important than clothes and things!....I'm sure you understand!!😉 ....Meanwhile I managed to get this model sprayed before I return as I'm not sure when I'll see my compressor again!

So here is the first photo......as you can see I have attached all the necessary bits and bobs before masking and spraying!

PRE_PAINT_(1).jpg

After masking all the detail the dark green was sprayed on......

PRE_PAINT_(2).jpg

.....followed by the dark earth........

PRE_PAINT_(3).jpg

PRE_PAINT_(4).jpg

I then took the masking off and did a bit of touching up here and there....and on the model!🙄

PAINTED_1.jpg

PAINTED_2.jpg

PAINTED_3.jpg

PAINTED_4.jpg

Here is the starboard side that isn't cut away....

PAINTED_5.jpg

PAINTED_6.jpg

PAINTED_7.jpg

PAINTED_8.jpg

Incidentally my compressor just about finished producing the pressure I wanted for the job as the tube running from the compressor to the tank split!.....first problem I have ever had with it after years of running!...that will be one of the first jobs I do when I arrive in blighty......well I suppose I ought to buy a bed and furniture first!

Any way....All the best to you all and this project will continue when I am settled in.

Cheers for taking a look

Fozzy

• Like 11

14 hours ago, brianthemodeller said:

Not saying anything about the model - I can’t think of suitable superlatives!

Good luck with the move! Where will you be living?

Cheers mate!......I'm moving to the sunshine coast!.....Eastbourne, E.Sussex 😎

• Like 2

Eastbourne wins, so do we because Fozzy will now be available for desperate detailing dashes in the night when our scratchbuilds fall apart, no doubt.

The Spitfire looks as damned wonderful as I expected, with a damaged compressor mind you!

Welcome home mate.

👍

• Like 2