SCRATCH BUILDING THE INTERIOR OF A 1:72 SCALE AIRFIX SPITFIRE MK1A

Fozzy

Good afternoon everyone!

The dust has now truly settled on my Scratch built B17G and its time to start another project!.......( for those of you that followed my B17G build....you might be interested in knowing that the model arrived in UK safely with no breakages thank God.....and its now ready for the next trip to the States for the Museum next month!)

I really didn't know what was next for me as I have spent the last 10 years building and fully immersed in the B17 project .....and since it was at 1:20 scale and coming out at 3 feet 8 inches long .....I thought that it would be good to have a go at the other end of the scale spectrum!

Last year my brother sadly passed away and whilst clearing out his flat I came across this Airfix 1:72 scale Spitfiremk1a that he must of been thinking to build.....

MAKING-A-START-ON-THE-MERLIN-1.jpg

I took the kit home and have been thinking ever since if it would be possible to scratch build the interior of this kit!.....this would mean having a go at building the Merlin engine and cockpit! ....and at such a small scale wondered if it would be worth the effort?....then I thought that I would have a go at it.... as a kind of tribute to my brother David!

So I started this project when I was at home in Bulgaria and took some photos of the progress so far and thought I would make the first post here now. ....however ...as I am away from my office at the moment not sure when the next post will be!

After opening the kit box I decided to first mark up the area on the front of the fuselage where the merlin will sit. After cutting away the plastic I saw I had to sand down the thickness the plastic....way down!!.....else it will be way out of scale!....then I shaped out of plastic the first bulk head that sits directly behind the power plant. After adding some detail on the bulkhead ....by looking at some reference photos...I took these photos.

MAKING-A-START-ON-THE-MERLIN-2.jpg

MAKING-A-START-ON-THE-MERLIN-3.jpg

So to the scratch building of the Merlin!

The engine block was first made from scrap plastic and being so small it seemed the my fingers were getting fatter by the minute and making the task even harder and fiddly than ever! I tried to shape it the best that I could and slowly added other parts to the engine to get it looking as near as possible to the real thing!

I started to scratch build the exhaust stacks but I wasn't happy with them!....then I realized that I could use the kits exhausts!....silly me!

Here is the Merlin before all the piping work ..........after a weeks work....

MAKING-A-START-ON-THE-MERLIN-4.jpg

MAKING-A-START-ON-THE-MERLIN-5.jpg

MAKING-A-START-ON-THE-MERLIN-6.jpg

I then painted the basic colours for the Merlin......and whilst doing that , thought of how I was to make the engine frame and I decided to make the frame out of wire and build the frame around the engine when it was sat in the fuselage....here is the painted Merlin with out the frame work....

MERLIN-PAINTED-1.jpg

MERLIN-PAINTED-2.jpg

MERLIN-PAINTED-3.jpg

MERLIN-PAINTED-4.jpg

I then had a real hard time lining up the engine with the propeller disk plate that I cut out of plastic but after hours of dry fitting of the engine finally got the job done!...I then painted the area before gluing the engine in.......

MERLIN-PAINTED-5.jpg

It was now time to fit the engine in place and then add all the other detail...this included the radiator at the front plus the engine frame and all the piping and wiring.

I taped the two halves together with masking tape for the purpose of taking the photos and to show the engine in place and placed the prop on for effect!....

MERLIN-FINISHED.jpg

MERLIN-FINISHED-1.jpg

MERLIN-FINISHED-2.jpg

MERLIN-FINISHED-3.jpg

MERLIN-FINISHED-4.jpg

MERLIN-FINISHED-5.jpg

MERLIN-FINISHED-6.jpg

You might have noticed that I have scratch built a tiny gun camera on the Port wing root and cut away the panel that housed it! 

So that is as far as I have got on this project for now.

I am planning the next part and that is cutting the top of the fuselage off to either build the fuel tanks or leave it empty so you can see down into the cockpit floor and the rudder pedals....I think it all depends on how it goes when I'm back in the office in a month or so's time!

So until then guys.......Happy modelling to you all!

Cheers

Fozzy

• Like 49
  • Thanks 1

We will come and visit you often at the Home! You are a steely-eyed master modeler! I liked everything you did on your Merlin, but I do believe you have a leaky carburettor (Carburetor on this side of the pond!) gasket! :giggle:

Mike

I still can't believe that's 1/72 scale! You must have monkey hands!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone

Finally....finally I am back in my workshop in Bulgaria!.....not for long though, as I am moving back to the UK ...so this means a lot of disruption this end!...especially to modelling!

However I have made small progress on this 1:72 scale Mk1a Spitfire....

Moving back from the engine bay and my scratch built Merlin I decided to cut away the fuel cell panel and have a go at scratch building that area. The fuel cell bay hosted an upper and  lower fuel tank that I may or may not scratch build. I wanted to leave the tanks out to show the detail of the rear of the IP and the Yaw peddles...sort of foolish of me as its so tiny!

Here's the area to be cut out........of course "X" marks the spot!

fuel-cells.jpg

Then I got to work on the various pipes and cables in the fuel tank bay and the rear of the IP. ...as usual I used different sizes of electrical wire and bits of plastic....

fuel-cells-1.jpg

fuel-cells-2.jpg

fuel-cells-3.jpg

fuel-cells-4.jpg

fuel-cells-5.jpg

fuel-cells-6.jpgxx

I then painted the area.......

fuel-cells-10.jpg

fuel-cells-11.jpg

fuel-cells-7.jpg

fuel-cells-8.jpg

fuel-cells-9.jpg

....and here it is with the two fuselage halves taped together....

fuel-cells-12.jpg

fuel-cells-13.jpg

fuel-cells-14.jpg

fuel-cells-15.jpg

fuel-cells-16.jpg

and here's the scale shot!.......

fuel-cells-17.jpg

Well that's as far as I have got so far!

Next up I will be tackling the cockpit!

Thanks for looking in!😀

Cheers

Fozzy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

After all this time, I had to go back and check the scale (yes, your giant hand isn't fooling anybody, Fozzy.... :rofl: )

Amazing job! :gobsmacked:  :worthy:

Ciao

• Haha 2

Thanks guys!. ....it's good to be back at the bench and to be able to post here again!😀

• Like 3

Outstanding. How could I miss this!

Now I've got to keep switching the microscope lens between you and Rymulus. Sorry, but I can't choose between your Spit and his Tomcat, both being such unbelievably detailed builds.

Eagerly waiting for your magic touch on the pit.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again every one!

Time for another update on the old Spit!

It was time to work on the cockpit that I thought would be....and was..... a challenge!...My normal scale I scratch build in is no smaller than 1:48 scale so as I said before this is a real challenge!

I used the kits pilots seat and made a harness out of paper and attached the seat to its frame......

cockpit-detail-1.jpg

I also decided to just use the I.P provided with the kit including  a decal for the instruments. It was just too small to scratch build!

This next photo shows the scratch built detail on the starboard side wall........

cockpit-detail-2.jpg

.....and here is the Port side wall. I used tiny pieces of plastic and fuse wire to make all the parts....

cockpit-detail-3.jpg

Here is a view of the starboard side with the I.P and seat/frame in position....

cockpit-detail-4.jpg

....and the port side...

cockpit-detail-5.jpg

These next set of photos were difficult to take due to the size and of course the tightness of the cockpit on a Spitfire.....

cockpit-detail-6.jpg

cockpit-detail-7.jpg

cockpit-detail-8.jpg

cockpit-detail-9.jpg

cockpit-detail-10.jpg

The cockpit door was built from a small piece of plastic....

cockpit-detail-11.jpg

.....and in the open position.

cockpit-detail-12.jpg

....and so far so good!

cockpit_detail_(13).jpg

That's it for this post.

Now I could just now close it all up and finish it all off...........but I might go crazy and open up the rear of the fuselage as a cutaway and have a go at what I did years ago with a 1:24 scale Spitfire.........don't know  yet...I'll sleep on it!

Till then guys.....thanks for looking in

Fozzy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2