Special Hobby 1/32 Westland Whirlwind F MK.l

Andy J

So a decent session at the bench today and I now have the wing halves joined together although some minor fettling will be required just to tidy up and smooth out the edges. Considering that there are very few location points on this kit i must say that so far I've been impressed with the parts fit it really is very good indeed. I've also managed some work on the engine covers and various other bits and pieces and I'm very happy with how things are progressing. Here's a few pic's of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And that's where the build stands atm. Work will interfere with my bench time for the next few days but I'll crack on whenever I get the opportunity. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 16

48 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Good progress Andy, coming on nicely mate! 👍

K

Thanks Keith definitely moving in the right direction mate 👍. It will be nice to see the wings and fuselage come together 🙂👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh yes very nice indeed Andy, that wing detail is certainly impressive as is the cockpit floor fella. 

Great work 

Chris

Cheers Chris I'm happy with the results so far 🙂👍

• Like 1

This project is coming along nicely. Good work on the cockpit. Yes, they're long, slender wings alright.

I was hoping I'd spot a build of this SH kit sooner or later. I grabbed one as soon as it came back into stock at my local supplier last year. The last Whirlwind I built was in a previous life; the Airfix 1959 iteration. I'm interested to see how you get along with this one, though it will be a while till I tackle mine. Hals und beinbruch!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maginot said:

This project is coming along nicely. Good work on the cockpit. Yes, they're long, slender wings alright.

I was hoping I'd spot a build of this SH kit sooner or later. I grabbed one as soon as it came back into stock at my local supplier last year. The last Whirlwind I built was in a previous life; the Airfix 1959 iteration. I'm interested to see how you get along with this one, though it will be a while till I tackle mine. Hals und beinbruch!

Thanks for the comment much appreciated 👍. So far I have to say that I'm impressed with this kit though plenty of test fitting is a must as some of the instructions are a bit vague. However I don't mind the extra attention required after all it's the end product that matters and hopefully this build will look ok when I'm finished with it 🙂👍

• Like 1

Yes, the components look to be of high quality in the box.

My limited experience notwithstanding, I have found that repeated dry fitting is the G.O. even with superbly engineered kits like Tamiya. Apart from checking parts fit and developing assembly procedures, it's fun to handle the 3d form as it takes shape and to document the stages with photos. Certainly careful attention to anomalies encountered during dry fitting can reduce the amount of filling and sanding after assembly by ensuring as snug a fit as possible.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 5:33 PM, Andy J said:

So only a very short time at the bench today after work and I've added a little more extra detail to the cockpit mainly gauges and switches but well worth it imo 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have a couple of days off work now so hopefully I can make some real progress with the build. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

that cockpit is amazing :) very nice job

..it looks very well detailed and you have really brough out the best in it

Peter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maginot said:

Yes, the components look to be of high quality in the box.

My limited experience notwithstanding, I have found that repeated dry fitting is the G.O. even with superbly engineered kits like Tamiya. Apart from checking parts fit and developing assembly procedures, it's fun to handle the 3d form as it takes shape and to document the stages with photos. Certainly careful attention to anomalies encountered during dry fitting can reduce the amount of filling and sanding after assembly by ensuring as snug a fit as possible.

I just like to think that when this build is complete I've given it my best shot. Building aircraft is a new venture for me so I'm adapting and learning as I go and more importantly.....I'm enjoying every moment 🙂👍

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, airscale said:

that cockpit is amazing :) very nice job

..it looks very well detailed and you have really brough out the best in it

Peter

Thanks Peter that's a huge compliment and very much appreciated indeed 👍. I did consider adding a small amount of wiring etc but for now at least I think one step at a time is the order of the day.....after all I now have plenty of aircraft kits for future builds so maybe I'll just add a little more detail with each one 🙂👍

• Like 1

I haven’t yet bought this kit and seeing it go together so well - in some very capable hands I must add - is testing my resolve. 

Loving your work on what looks like a great kit! Looking forward to more!

Tom

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

I haven’t yet bought this kit and seeing it go together so well - in some very capable hands I must add - is testing my resolve. 

Loving your work on what looks like a great kit! Looking forward to more!

Tom

Hiya Tom thanks for the comment much appreciated 👍. I've still got a long way to go with this build but based on what I've completed so far this kit gets a big thumbs up from me. I feel pretty confident that the rest of the build will follow the same theme as having checked through the rest of the parts and the instructions everything seems fine to me. I suppose the first real test will come when I join the fuselage and wings together which shouldn't be long now but I have to admit I've already tested the fit and things look very promising. Work is keeping me away from the bench atm but first chance I get I'll be back at it 😉👍

• Like 1

So a little more progress on the Whirlwind and I've managed to build up the engine covers and landing gear bay's and the good news is they fit the wings perfectly. I haven't secured them in place atm as a little more fettling and sanding is required but like I say at least I know that they fit as they should which is welcome news 🙂. Here's a few pic's of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not very easy to take decent photos of these parts but I guess you can get an idea of how it all looks and im happy with the results so far. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 13

38 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Starting to look like an airframe that is being assembled now, which is grand.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

Hiya Dennis it won't be long now before I can start fixing the main parts together and that's something I'm really looking forward to 🙂👍

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Andy  they look fab and it's great to know they fit well too fella.

Chris

Cheers Chris the parts needed fettling slightly to make everything fit correctly but I actually enjoyed the extra work involved 👍 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Coming along nicely Andy! 👍

K

Cheers Keith I'm not getting much bench time atm due to work commitments but I'll crack on whenever I get the chance 🙂👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AliGauld said:

All looking splendid.

Nice progress.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair it will be nice to take a proper look at the kit when the fuselage and wings are fixed together 🙂👍

• Like 1