Special Hobby 1/32 Westland Whirlwind F MK.l

Andy J

So only a very short time at the bench today after work and I've added a little more extra detail to the cockpit mainly gauges and switches but well worth it imo 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have a couple of days off work now so hopefully I can make some real progress with the build. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 16

39 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

The cockpit detail looks really good, especially when well painted.

John

Thanks John I'm by no means a super detailer and a lot of this work won't be seen later on but I have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying myself atm and looking forward to the next session at the bench already 🙂👍

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good Andy, the gauges everywhere llok great.

Cracking job fella.

Chris

Thanks Chris considering I only managed just over an hour at the bench today I'm pleased with the results. I've been busy scrutinising the next steps of the build mate so I have a plan when work commences tomorrow 👍

• Like 1

Just now, spitfire said:

Looking good, that detail should look great through that bubble canopy.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis and that's an interesting point.....do I have the canopy open or closed 🤔 

• Like 1

Your finishing on those bits is superb Andy, really realistic looking - top job!

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

do I have the canopy open or closed

Open, without doubt! (but do SH give you the boarding ladder? IIRC it opened automatically when the pilot opened the canopy)

K

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Your finishing on those bits is superb Andy, really realistic looking - top job!

Open, without doubt! (but do SH give you the boarding ladder? IIRC it opened automatically when the pilot opened the canopy)

K

Thanks Keith I could never have imagined me of all people trying to add detail but you know what....I'm loving it 🙂. I've seen the boarding ladder in the instructions mate so there must be one on a sprue somewhere 👍 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

Your work in the cockpit area is outstanding Andy, looking forward to more of the same

Stay safe          Roger

Cheers Roger I'm very pleased with the results 🙂👍

• Like 1

So today's update and I've been busy working on the wing halves plus the floor of the cockpit which on this kit is attached to the topside of the wings before the fuselage is finally fitted into position. Although very little if any of the internal wing work will be visible later on i still plan to weather and detail these parts slightly which I suppose is not really required but I don't mind that infact the total opposite i actually enjoy doing it 🙂.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Like I say these parts will get some subtle weathering tomorrow and then I can close up the wings and move forward. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍.

I'm also thinking about adding this chap to the build....what do you reckon 🤔 

spacer.png

Edited by Andy J
New information
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

So today's update and I've been busy working on the wing halves plus the floor of the cockpit which on this kit is attached to the topside of the wings before the fuselage is finally fitted into position. Although very little if any of the internal wing work will be visible later on i still plan to weather and detail these parts slightly which I suppose is not really required but I don't mind that infact the total opposite i actually enjoy doing it 🙂.

Like I say these parts will get some subtle weathering tomorrow and then I can close up the wings and move forward. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍.

I'm also thinking about adding this chap to the build....what do you reckon 🤔 

To me that's the whole point, that you enjoy doing it, as to the pilot figure, I'm in two minds, it would bring the aircraft to "life" but it would obscure all your nice details, I'm hopeles with figures so I never go there !

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks great Andy , the in wing details look good.  

Chris

Thanks Chris, the wing details will look much better tomorrow when I've had a chance to fettle them 😉👍

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, spitfire said:

To me that's the whole point, that you enjoy doing it, as to the pilot figure, I'm in two minds, it would bring the aircraft to "life" but it would obscure all your nice details, I'm hopeles with figures so I never go there !

Cheers

Dennis

Hiya Dennis I think you may be right about the seated pilot figure so......how about this fella about to climb the boarding ladder 🤔 

spacer.png

Obviously with the arms in the correct positions and a head on his shoulders it might just work 🤔👍

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Hiya Dennis I think you may be right about the seated pilot figure so......how about this fella about to climb the boarding ladder 🤔 

Obviously with the arms in the correct positions and a head on his shoulders it might just work 🤔👍

That would look great, where is that one from I might just be tempted myself.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, spitfire said:

That would look great, where is that one from I might just be tempted myself.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

That's a great pic Dennis I'll keep that for reference purposes 🙂. I found the figure on eBay mate just type in 1/32 pilot figure and he will appear 🙂👍

• Like 1

You are cracking on there, Andy.

It all looks really good so far.

2 hours ago, spitfire said:

i actually enjoy doing it 🙂.

That completely fits in with my thoughts.

It's your kit, you do what you want with it and just enjoy the process.

It's all about having fun.

As to the figure, 

I agree that a seated figure would hide all that glorious detail and the climbing figure would look great.

I wouldn't do it but that's only because I'm awful at painting figures hence the reason I've not touched the Spitfire V! Doodlebug Special Hobby kit that keeps shouting at me to be made as there is a resin pilot figure to be done and as it would be in flight I would need to do it. :D

In saying all this it's your kit, you do what you want.

I'm just enjoying the ride. 

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

You are cracking on there, Andy.

It all looks really good so far.

That completely fits in with my thoughts.

It's your kit, you do what you want with it and just enjoy the process.

It's all about having fun.

As to the figure, 

I agree that a seated figure would hide all that glorious detail and the climbing figure would look great.

I wouldn't do it but that's only because I'm awful at painting figures hence the reason I've not touched the Spitfire V! Doodlebug Special Hobby kit that keeps shouting at me to be made as there is a resin pilot figure to be done and as it would be in flight I would need to do it. :D

In saying all this it's your kit, you do what you want.

I'm just enjoying the ride. 

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair good to hear from you my friend 🙂. I'm not a figure painter either but I don't care...I mean what's the worst thing that can happen 🤔. If I make a mess of it then I simply don't use it. Ok there's the cost of the figure I suppose but it's how I approach all aspects of my modelling....give it a go and see what happens 🙂. I don't expect my figure to be an award winner but as long as it's a respectable effort then that'll do for me 😉👍

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Alistair good to hear from you my friend 🙂. I'm not a figure painter either but I don't care...I mean what's the worst thing that can happen 🤔. If I make a mess of it then I simply don't use it. Ok there's the cost of the figure I suppose but it's how I approach all aspects of my modelling....give it a go and see what happens 🙂. I don't expect my figure to be an award winner but as long as it's a respectable effort then that'll do for me 😉👍

That works for me. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

I found the figure on eBay mate just type in 1/32 pilot figure and he will appear

Or Hannants;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QAB320095?result-token=tsZfh

28 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I don't expect my figure to be an award winner but as long as it's a respectable effort then that'll do for me

My thoughts on my figure painting too! I'm not much good at it, but do enjoy painting one now and again. And I think the guy climbing into the Whirlwind would look great Andy! 

K

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Or Hannants;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QAB320095?result-token=tsZfh

My thoughts on my figure painting too! I'm not much good at it, but do enjoy painting one now and again. And I think the guy climbing into the Whirlwind would look great Andy! 

K

Cheers Keith I have ordered the figure and will give it a go.....nothing ventured nothing gained as they say 🙂👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

Looking good. I'm following with interest as these flew from RAF Grangemouth just down the road from me.

Q

Glad to have you along Q I'll do my best to do justice to this great aircraft 🙂👍

• Like 1