Special Hobby 1/32 Westland Whirlwind F MK.l

Andy J

9 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see this progress Andy, looking forward to seeing the rest of the cockpit,  the fire extinguisher would be brass, however you won't see when closed up anyway.  Looking good fella.

Chris

Thanks Chris tbh I did think that the red fire extinguisher looked out of place but I've seen it painted red in build reviews so took for granted it must be right....lesson learned I'll take a look at changing the colour tomorrow 🙂👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Chris tbh I did think that the red fire extinguisher looked out of place but I've seen it painted red in build reviews so took for granted it must be right....lesson learned I'll take a look at changing the colour tomorrow 🙂👍

No worries fella, I don't think it will be seen will it when closed up

Chris

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

No worries fella, I don't think it will be seen will it when closed up

Chris

It won't be seen Chris but atm i can get to it and change it if I have any brass paint. Tbh I'm trying to move away from the " oh that'll do " attitude and concentrate on trying to get the details right if you get what I mean 🙂👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andy J said:

It won't be seen Chris but atm i can get to it and change it if I have any brass paint. Tbh I'm trying to move away from the " oh that'll do " attitude and concentrate on trying to get the details right if you get what I mean 🙂👍

Me, no I don't know what you mean😉  if the Spitfire is anything to go by  you will do well with this.  

Oooooo I see you have been challenged, I think the loser should build an orrible German WW2 plane!!!😄

Chris

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Chaotic Mike said:

I've just come in from the shed having drilled out a few holes, and done some priming... The race is(n't) on! 

No racing here Mike just steady progress hopefully. Good luck with your build 🙂👍

4 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Great progress, it takes me this long to open the box.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis I actually got more done today than I thought i would so a good day at the bench 🙂👍

Nice work Andy, Chris beat me to pointing out the fire extinquisher colour - drat...!! :)

If you haven't got any brass paint, you can get somewhere close (well closer than red!) by mixing some yellow into silver.

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Nice work Andy, Chris beat me to pointing out the fire extinquisher colour - drat...!! :)

If you haven't got any brass paint, you can get somewhere close (well closer than red!) by mixing some yellow into silver.

K

Cheers Keith I think I have some vallejo brass paint somewhere I'll have a look for it tomorrow 🙂👍

• Like 2

So it's taken a couple of sessions over the weekend but I've managed to add all of the cockpit details to the two fuselage halves and I'm pleased with the results. The pilots seat and control stick are added later in the build just in case anyone thought I'd forgotten them 😉. There are many parts that go together to make up the details but fairplay to Special Hobby i think they have made the process as straightforward as they could have done. The other good news is that a quick test fit of the fuselage halves with these parts in place went very well with no obvious gaps or other issues. Construction of the wings comes next and I'll be tackling these steps during the week when work permits but for now I'm going to take a break and relax 🙂. Here's a few pic's of the weekends progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So that's where the build stands atm and I must say I'm very much enjoying myself with this kit so far. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice job Andy, the interior looks rather splendid fella.

You'll soon have the fuselage halves joined up.

Chris

Thanks Chris I'm following the kit instructions religiously but I think I could probably join the fuselage together now if I wanted to. Oh and the fire extinguisher is now brass though I'm pretty sure you had already noticed 😉👍

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sinnerboy said:

Looking good Andy 

What are you going to use for belts?

Thanks I've got these to try out 🙂

spacer.png

I'm not certain how these work exactly so if anyone out there has used them i would be grateful of any advice and tips.  Thanks 🙂👍

• Like 5

Blimey, Andy, considering you're "not an aircraft builder" and that you've only just finished your Spitfire I think your build rate and skills are very impressive.  That cockpit is going to look amazing.  I'm sure you'll do just as good a job on this Whirlwind (one of my favourite aircraft as a kid, after reading a Commando comic about them) as you did on the wee Spitfire.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Blimey, Andy, considering you're "not an aircraft builder" and that you've only just finished your Spitfire I think your build rate and skills are very impressive.  That cockpit is going to look amazing.  I'm sure you'll do just as good a job on this Whirlwind (one of my favourite aircraft as a kid, after reading a Commando comic about them) as you did on the wee Spitfire.

Thanks JRK as soon as I finish a build I start the next one , infact I'm probably planning the next one as soon as I start painting the current one if that makes sense 🤔. I'm in no rush to complete any build tbh I just go with the flow and enjoy myself. I'm thourghly enjoying building aircraft mate and the choice of kits and different subjects is astonishing....at least it is to me anyway. I'm getting used to reviewing the kits before purchasing though as fancy box art can hide a multitude of sins. Yep I'm enjoying my stay at this end of the forum and plan to hang around for a while yet 🙂👍

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Was it the one where were the Whirlwind pilot's friend in a Typhoon saves him but gets shot down in the process.

Cheers

Dennis

39 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Was it the one where were the Whirlwind pilot's friend in a Typhoon saves him but gets shot down in the process.

Cheers

Dennis

Quite possibly; I remember there were experimental armaments involved (12 .303's in the nose, a dirty great cannon a la the Me262's mk214) and the pilot standing on the wing before taking to his parachute.  I'll have to do some digging and see if I can find it.

EDIT: it was Air Ace (would have sworn it was Commando, but still....) number 224, "Whirlwind Warriors", see:

http://pocketwarcomics.blogspot.com/2010/04/air-ace-picture-library-224-whirlwind.html

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Quite possibly; I remember there were experimental armaments involved (12 .303's in the nose, a dirty great cannon a la the Me262's mk214) and the pilot standing on the wing before taking to his parachute.  I'll have to do some digging and see if I can find it.

EDIT: it was Air Ace (would have sworn it was Commando, but still....) number 224, "Whirlwind Warriors", see:

http://pocketwarcomics.blogspot.com/2010/04/air-ace-picture-library-224-whirlwind.html

What a great website brings back lots of memories, the one I remember was an Air Ace but on the front was a Typhoon with the pilot bailing out.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

Thanks I've got these to try out 🙂

spacer.png

I'm not certain how these work exactly so if anyone out there has used them i would be grateful of any advice and tips.  Thanks 🙂👍

Hi Andy   

Indeed I had seen it had gone to Brass, looks good.  The Kits World Seatbelts are supposed to be 3d decals. There are no instructions with them and I have used them on my Chipmunk along with the IPs too.  I could not get them to stick in the normal way of applying decals so after a soak in warm water  took them off the backing sheet and left them to dry before using CA glue to stick them in place.  You only need a couple of spots of glue.

Hope that helps fella

Chris

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Andy   

Indeed I had seen it had gone to Brass, looks good.  The Kits World Seatbelts are supposed to be 3d decals. There are no instructions with them and I have used them on my Chipmunk along with the IPs too.  I could not get them to stick in the normal way of applying decals so after a soak in warm water  took them off the backing sheet and left them to dry before using CA glue to stick them in place.  You only need a couple of spots of glue.

Hope that helps fella

Chris

Thanks Chris that's a great help mate thanks for the information 🙂👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That's some cracking work on the 'pit Andy! Great pics too - I'm saving them as reference for when I find the energy to rebuild the awful attempt at a 'cockpit' in the Trumpeter 1/48 kit!

Really good progress! :)

K

Thanks Keith I appreciate your comment mate 👍. Tbh it's taken pretty much two days solid work to reach this stage there's quite a few parts and colour changes etc but it's a very nice kit to build so the time just flew by. I also think that there's an advantage in this scale as even the small parts aren't really that small if you get what I mean which makes painting and assembly much easier and more enjoyable 🙂👍

• Like 1