Special Hobby 1/32 Westland Whirlwind F MK.l

Andy J

So fresh from the Spitfire build I've decided to have a go at this rather nice looking kit from Special Hobby. This is a step up in scale for me but I have the room so why not 🙂. The fuselage doesn't seem that big to me but the wings seem to go on forever so this should become very interesting once the exterior painting is due. I have on order a few aftermarket parts which should arrive soon but I have plenty of other work to keep me occupied for the time being. I've barely scratched the surface so far but based on what I've seen and used so far I'm quite happy with the kit and hope I can do it justice. This is the scheme I'm going to try and recreate and I already have the paint colours required from the Spitfire build which is a bonus 

spacer.png

Like I say I haven't achieved much so far but here's a pic of today's progress 

spacer.png

So plenty to do but at least I've made a start. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 19

58 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Like I say I haven't achieved much so far but here's a pic of today's progress 

Get on with it man, what are you waiting for...?! :tease:

(makes a change for me to get more done in a day than you mate! 🤣 )

Keith

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Get on with it man, what are you waiting for...?! :tease:

(makes a change for me to get more done in a day than you mate! 🤣 )

Keith

Ahhh but it's a marathon not a sprint Keith......actually why am I telling you that 12 years per build is pretty good going 🤣🤣👍

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Good to see this on the go , I can't see the image of your work so far unfortunately. Looking forward to this.

Chris

Thanks Chris the pics appear to be working fine mate maybe you need to change the dynamo on your PC 🤣👍

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

It was t'internet , re started the router and now working.

Chris

Just remember the paraffin for your lighting....its difficult to build models by candlelight 😆👍

• Haha 1

Mind if I take a seat always had a soft spot for the Whirlwind (fixed wing not rotary)

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Mind if I take a seat always had a soft spot for the Whirlwind (fixed wing not rotary)

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one

Stay safe          Roger

Wouldn't be the same without you Roger welcome aboard mate 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

One of my absolute favourites, I waited years for a 1/32 scale Whirlwind, I even dropped down a scale to build one the Classic Airframes 1/48. Nice but not as satisfying as a 1/32 scale one so I will watch with interest as your build progresses.

I am finishing off two builds at the moment so cannot start mine but hopefully I can steal some ideas from your build.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

You're not hanging about. :D

Nice start. Looking forward to this one, I've eyed the kit a few times but haven't bought it yet.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair this build may take a while mate but I'm really looking forward to it 👍 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spitfire said:

One of my absolute favourites, I waited years for a 1/32 scale Whirlwind, I even dropped down a scale to build one the Classic Airframes 1/48. Nice but not as satisfying as a 1/32 scale one so I will watch with interest as your build progresses.

I am finishing off two builds at the moment so cannot start mine but hopefully I can steal some ideas from your build.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis I'm pretty much a virgin when it comes to building aircraft but as always I'll give it my best shot 🙂. Thanks for the photo the guy on the end of the nose balancing himself made me laugh I hope he got off before take off 🙂👍

26 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Alistair this build may take a while mate but I'm really looking forward to it 👍 

Take as long as you need. It just increases the vicarious enjoyment for folks like me. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Take as long as you need. It just increases the vicarious enjoyment for folks like me. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Alistair

I can't take too long Alistair I have another 3 Spitfire kits on the way and I don't have much room left in the hangar 🙂👍

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I'm in. I battled the Trumpy 1:48 so looking forward to seeing the results from this beauty! Good luck...

Thanks Dunny I'll give it my best shot 🙂👍

• Like 2

So today's update and I've managed to attach a few of the many cockpit parts to one half of the fuselage. I've test fitted the two fuselage halves together and so far so good as they line up really well. Still some weathering and fettling to be done to these parts but the plan for now is to get the parts in place and tinker with them at a later date. Here's a couple of pics of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

So it may not look like a day's work but it has taken me a while to fit this little lot together and I'm happy with the results so far.  Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 17