Hungarian Savoia SM 75 camo?

JWM

Hi

The Hungarian Savoia SM 75, like that E.103 

sm-75k.jpg

for me have four shades of gray seen on the top of airplane on above photo. 

Below, for E.101 I seems that it is still 4 shades:

https://www.avia-info.hu/Kep/Katonai/Savoia-Marchetti-SM-75-E-101.jpg

The E 104 looks like having only two colors

https://www.avia-info.hu/Kep/Katonai/Savoia-Marchetti-SM-75-E-104.jpg

E105 likely more than two:

https://www.avia-info.hu/Kep/Katonai/Savoia-Marchetti-SM-75-E-105.jpg

The Balaton resin kit of E 103 has only 3 shades from top

36325_rd.png

the box art is based on this photo

12105728_1546768598942338_73233316384969

My question is - is it possible that four colors upper camo existed, or simply the two light are apparent, as result of some overpainting work? 

In this case the colors are I think the German RLM 61,62,63, and 65 from bottoms. If they are four - which is the fourth (second light) one?

Regards

J-W

Hi J W,

Not that I could be of much help, but couldn't that plane just be painted in the Italian camou colors of any of various versions of those camouflage yellows, browns, and greens?  Not saying the box art is wrong, just that Italian colors might be more likely....

Jim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, expositor said:

Hi J W,

Not that I could be of much help, but couldn't that plane just be painted in the Italian camou colors of any of various versions of those camouflage yellows, browns, and greens?  Not saying the box art is wrong, just that Italian colors might be more likely....

Jim

I did consider this possibility, afterall the original camouflage scheme for Italian bombers consisted of bands of various colours. However the style of the bands in those pictures is not really consistent with the one generally used on Italian aircraft. Then I checked the history of the Hungarian order and these were delivered to the Malert airline, so the camouflage was applied later when the 5 aircraft were militarised

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Looking at the first photo a few times, I've come to believe that there are only three, with the light reflections on the wing root making a false impression of a fourth.  In particular, that there is only one darker colour.

I think that first two windows behind canopy are on the darkest color, then next two and half on middle dark, then light spot is horizontally divided with two shades of ligh gray on BW color - this is how I see four shades of gray here... Maybe the most light is a not well  overpainted cream from civil scheme?

J-W

According to the book Hungarian airforce colours 1930-1945 by mushroom publications they were painted in stone grey G1100,earth brown G1102,dark green G1103 with the lower parts painted in light blue G1101.The colours were celaetern(?) nitrocellulose colours from Krayer.

Saluti

Giampiero

• Thanks 1