Beaufighter TFX RD784 OB-Z 45 Squadron, Operation Firedog - spinners?

David Womby

I have an old Wingspan magazine from June 1996 with an article on 45 Squadron Beaufighters used in Firedog.   The article is by Jeff Jefford and is 'heavily condensed' from the  Flying Camels book he wrote.   In the article are 2 pictures of RD784.  One clearly shows the 'Winnie The Pooh' text on the port nose and spinners fitted.   The other shows her in flight but from the rear port side so the nose area is not visible but it looks to me like she has no spinners in that pic.    I haven't found any other pics of any Firedog Beaus without spinners.  Has anybody else seen evidence to confirm lack of spinners at times?

David

• David Womby changed the title to Beaufighter TFX RD784 OB-Z 45 Squadron, Operation Firedog - spinners?

Not sure I can help...but I did find this pic of RD784 with spinners. 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205212639

Dunno if that's one of the two you mention.

This other Britmodeller thread also mentions Firedog Beaufighters and seems to show at least one without spinners:

Not sure I'm being helpful but looking forward to what others have to say on the topic.  

Edited by mhaselden

28 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

Not sure I can help...but I did find this pic of RD784 with spinners. 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205212639

Dunno if that's one of the two you mention.

>

>

>

Thanks.  That's a different pic of RD784 than in the article I have.  So that makes 2 of her with spinners and one where I think she doesn't have them.

David

5 hours ago, David Womby said:

I have an old Wingspan magazine from June 1996 with an article on 45 Squadron Beaufighters used in Firedog.   The article is by Jeff Jefford and is 'heavily condensed' from the  Flying Camels book he wrote.   In the article are 2 pictures of RD784.  One clearly shows the 'Winnie The Pooh' text on the port nose and spinners fitted.   The other shows her in flight but from the rear port side so the nose area is not visible but it looks to me like she has no spinners in that pic.    I haven't found any other pics of any Firedog Beaus without spinners.  Has anybody else seen evidence to confirm lack of spinners at times?

David

Those wearing the last scheme,.... the black and MSG Bomber scheme often had the spinners removed. 

• Thanks 1