Ammo Mig Gloss Varnish Issue - Newbie question

dm3lions

Hi,

Wondered if anyone could give me any tips on where I am going wrong please?

I am new to modelling so this is likely user error but on two occasions i have glossed my model with the Ammo Mig lucky gloss varnish, left it a day and then put the decals on. 

On both occasions the varnish has kind of rubbed off/worn away in some places whilst doing this. 

I am also using Ammo Mig decal set and fix but it's generally happened at the "set" stage.

With the first model it also affected the paint, on the second I made sure the layers were thicker so it seems to have just impacted the gloss coat. I did see one small piece of gloss peel back too.

Example image attached, any ideas where I might be going wrong please?

Gloss

Cheers

I've never used the stuff (the clear coat or decal solution) but I saw a review saying that Tamiya decal solution did attack it:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/paint/mig/paint_mig_2057.shtml

Is that image showing it chipping up the paint too? If so it sounds as though it's chemically quite reactive as a decal setting solution, I've never seen anything like this with the Microscale set stuff I use, though these days I tend to use it less - for tiny decals I use their solvent solution instead (need to work fast before they melt though) and bigger ones only a tiny bit / lots more water.

What paint are you using? (Is it water based? I find it best to prime if using water based paint to help it key/stick.)

Do you prime the model before paint, if so what with?

Is the model clean from dirt/grease before paint/primer? - I've had issues where mould release agent has stopped even lacquer primer adhering properly. I don't usually wash my models but it is worth putting the sprues in some warm soapy water (with a splash of vinegar), then rinsing them off before starting.  Some people also wash after building before priming / painting to remove any finger oils from handling - I usually only do that for car bodies but I'm lazy!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply @scargsy.

I got a reply from Ammo Mig saying: The problem is that Lucky coatings are developed for finished. The correct varnish for working with decals or Weathering products is Aqua Gloss (A.MIG-8212). This is much more resistant and will resist the most aggressive products such as decals or enamels.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I too, have recently had a bad experience with "lucky" varnishes.

I used Lucky gloss coat (brush painted) before decaling a jet, and it was ok, but when I added the decals they were a bit thick so I decided to seal them with another gloss coat and sand them to reduce thickness. As I was applying this second gloss coat, I started noticing my brush strokes peel off the first gloss layer in some places (specifically near decals I applied with a setting solution, Revell decal soft). Then I started wet sanding the surface after it was touch dry, but this basically universally removed the whole gloss layer, even though it was several days later. Peeled it off like diseased skin. Luckily, the decals were not damaged. I used Ammo Mig gloss varnish before and didn't experience any trouble (it was just called Gloss Varnish, not their modern lucky varnish back then).

Similarly, their Ultra matt lucky varnish tends to leave white-ish blobs all around the place when brush painting. Altough I didn't experience any peeling with that one.

Overall, I decided to throw all the "Lucky" varnishes in the bin and ordered some Vallejo ones. Hopefully those are proper ones.

• 8 months later...

I use Alcald Aqua gloss 600 with Microsol/set. Then I changed over to Ammo lucky varnish. Went down ok had a little pooling but that was my error. Once dry used Microsol and yes it eat through the varnish and rubbed off. It gives a lovely shine. So it will be uses as a finishing medium. Mike