Monogram F-8E (FN) Crusader, 1/48

I was lucky enough to see just a few operational French Crusaders in the beginning of the nineties. Especially a display of two of these ancient birds on the airshow of Brustem in 1994 made a lasting impression. 

The Revell rebox of the Monogram Crusader is a very enjoyable build.. Fit is very good and there's a lot of detail, especially considering the age of the kit.

I used a Berna decalset, which was unimpresive: decals are very thick and not in register. I used mainly Vallejo and MiG acrylics for the finishing.

Anyway, here are some pictures, hope you like them. 

Kind regards, Gerben

Crusader2a

Crusader1a

Crusader4a

Crusader3a

• Like 51

Very attractive build. Am I mistaken in thinking the kits main landing gear is too short? The aft fuselage appears to sit too low. This is nothing against your build. It appears to be a kit fault ... and I could well be wrong about that.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Very attractive build. Am I mistaken in thinking the kits main landing gear is too short? The aft fuselage appears to sit too low. This is nothing against your build. It appears to be a kit fault ... and I could well be wrong about that.

I think you're right, it's one of the Monogram kits errors. Pretty hard to correct, so I Just left it as is.. thans for the kind comments!

Edited by PhantomLover

Looks great, I too enjoyed watching these birds at Fairford for a couple of years before they retired.................proper cold war heavy metal!

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Truly a thing of beauty.

I too was lucky enough (am old enough?) to have seen some of these at UK air shows, a fantastic aircraft.

Did you bother to rescribe the kit? I am considering building one and probably won't bother to scribe it.

Thanx! I never rescribe kits.. instead I use a black primer. After spraying the final colors I apply a nail polishing stick and polish the panel lines so that the black primer becomes visible.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, PhantomLover said:

Thanx! I never rescribe kits.. instead I use a black primer. After spraying the final colors I apply a nail polishing stick and polish the panel lines so that the black primer becomes visible.

That is very similar to what I had in mind, if mine turns out anything like yours then I will be very happy.

• Thanks 1