Starfighter in 'Gentleman's Scale'

Ian

Absolutely no idea who came-up with 'Gentlemans Scale' but it makes me smile every time I read it !!

Ir2qw9D.jpg

yavMEex.jpg

4KnBAC7.jpg

hevMbTm.jpg

UG0xm7n.jpg

PLiFVYU.jpg

5N16agD.jpg

Started just before Christmas as a 'Mojo Restorer', loved the build and paintwork, gave me a great excuse to drag-out all my Starfighter reference books - yeah, 'books' remember them ?. Built straight from the box with no additives, just glue. Paints are all Tamiya, Xtracolour and Humbrol enamels - remember them too ? - decals are from the kit and a thirty-five year old Microscale sheet. There's really very little else to say, IMHO this is still the best 1:72 F-104 kit available and impressed me so much that I went and brought my (untouched) Hasegawa 1:72 F-14A to the bench, which I'll begin once the weather here cools-off a little, we're getting close to 30c here most days with almost no wind, so the paint is drying on the airbrush needle !!

Please feel free to ask any questions, hurl any abuse or make any comments. All the best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 64

German starfighters always look dramatic, menacing and colourful.  Yours looks very well done indeed Ian- what paint did you use on the tip tanks?  I once heard the  definition of a gentleman was  someone who knows how to play the bagpipes - but doesn't.

Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Superb build! The coloring is top notch.

Also, from what I remember reading a while back - one of the early model manufacturers (Frog or someone) figured 1/72 was a good scale because a 6 foot man would be an inch high in that scale and it was called the gentleman's scale for that. Not sure how true or correct that is.

• Like 1

Ian, I'm normally a denizen of the armour thread so don't normally comment on hairyplanes, but I has to say that is superb. The modulation is spot in.

It reminds me of the old joke - if you want to own a Starfighter, buy a field in Germany and wait.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

German starfighters always look dramatic, menacing and colourful.  Yours looks very well done indeed Ian- what paint did you use on the tip tanks? 

Colin, the tip tanks are Xtracolour 'Leuchtorange' X253 over a white base.

Ian.

• Thanks 1

Looks good.

Really.

You wrote bout gent scale?

My thoght is, you do not see and have to omitt many details compared with 48 and 32.

So you never wrong so much, gent critic too!

Happy modelling

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomcat101 said:

Very nice F-104.  I suspect those decals took a while to put on. :)

All the stencil decals are printed in four or five large 'sheets' for each fuselage side, measured to take into account the curves of the fuselage, brilliant forethought by Hasegawa back in the day. 

Ian.