Kawasaki Ninja H2 Carbon 1/12 (Tamiya 14136)

Ian T

Firstly an apology …. I’ve started work on this without submitting photos of the box and sprues!! So I apologise to those that like to see those photos. Below is a photo of the box lid, a forest of black bits and a smaller forest of silver bits including the main cylinder block.

51831972625_a2ae1e23cd_b.jpg

51831972630_efe72df5a3_b.jpg

51830295117_9cb6e279b9_b.jpg

• Like 6

51836143787_36f7f8acc7_b.jpg

Probably a bit more than I was expecting and enough to be troublesome!! The tops ones are the “standard” decals, bottom left are the metallic ones and the bottom right are the masking stickers. Both the masking stickers and the metallic decals are new to me.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Hannes said:

I´m not a motorcycle builder but I found this video from a very talented Japanese Modeller. It´s a great pleasure to watch him and it could probably help you to improve some details.

Thanks @Hannes, I hadn’t seen that video, and very nice it is too, a nice combination of colours. It’ll definitely help me in my build …. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marco F. said:

Good luck for your progress 

Marco F 

Thanks @Marco F., I’ve just about finished the major components of the engine, pictures to follow in the next day or two.

14 hours ago, Ian T said:

Thanks @Hannes, I hadn’t seen that video, and very nice it is too, a nice combination of colours. It’ll definitely help me in my build …. 

Hi @Hannes, I’ve watched some more of the video amd I’ve just realised that this is a slighty different kit to mine. I’m building the Ninja H2 Carbon and the kit in the video is the H2R, and I think that the H2R must be a track version as there are no mirrors and it has aerodynamic “wings”. But that takes nothing away from the skill of that builder, and some of the tools and accessories being used are amazing.

• Like 1

Yes, this guy is some kind of wizard or modeller god. In the video below we can see how he was modelling the driver and that´s really breathtaking. Every wrinkle and tension on the leather dress is correct and the figure is anatomically  perfect 100 per cent. I´m a sculptor too and I know how hard it is to achieve this result in 1:12 scale.

He was even representing  the eyeballs! (and did hide the face inside the helmet later on and that´s funny!)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hannes said:

Yes, this guy is some kind of wizard or modeller god. In the video below we can see how he was modelling the driver and that´s really breathtaking. Every wrinkle and tension on the leather dress is correct and the figure is anatomically  perfect 100 per cent. I´m a sculptor too and I know how hard it is to achieve this result in 1:12 scale.

He was even representing  the eyeballs! (and did hide the face inside the helmet later on and that´s funny!)

OK, that’s spooky, how can anybody do that at 1/12 scale? I thought some of the builds on this forum were unbelievable, but this guy has taken it to a whole new level.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to have taken a long time to get this far, but I’m pleased with the results so far. So this is the completed engine mounted into the frame. Next to be built up is the rear suspension and the stand.

51869119301_b7890ac8c6_b.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Quite a bit of work went into the rear wheel, rear suspension, the swing arm and the stand, all of which I’d intended to complete for this entry in the forum. But I’ve also done the seat frame/rear mudguard/rear indicators etc. as I needed something to be getting on with while paint dried on the other bits.

I’m very impressed with the standard of the Tamiya mouldings, this is quite a new kit and the positioning of the ejectors pin marks, the sprue attachment points and mould seam lines are exceptionally well thought out and it is often tempting or necessary to not do anything with some of them.

51920666036_ffc469e262_b.jpg

51919690822_2b24a784f6_b.jpg

51919690837_fd68a5ea52_b.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

A few photos showing the latest progress including my first ever attempt at “weathering” which in this case is limited to some colour on the exhaust pipes, I’m quite pleased with the results.

51945028703_18c4023159_b.jpg

51945265464_01613bae45_b.jpg

51944948401_fa6b2a9005_b.jpg

51944948421_2f1788ece5_b.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more slow progress with H2, I can thoroughly recommend this kit to any bike builders out there, the quality is outstanding. Anyway, I’ve now finished the seat and petrol tank assemblies, together with the side panels to the rear of the seat and those flanking the petrol tank. The next assemblies will be the front wheel, followed by the front fork, then the handlebars, I love the detail in the handlebars.

Any constructive comments are very welcome.

51978746919_0a1eabc629_b.jpg

51977459112_9d419162b6_b.jpg

51978746944_29728ace62_b.jpg

51978467396_02a4854ce2_b.jpg

51977459122_26c88030d9_b.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

You know how slow you are at building when you have to use the “search” function to find your WIP!!!!

We now have the front forks, handlebars, front wheel etc. complete. I’m afraid the photographer isn’t the best I’ve done, but it hopefully shows the progress.

52044054126_eab44e76c6_b.jpg

52044054141_0878017842_b.jpg

52044564225_7463a14c10_b.jpg

52044054146_94825320a1_b.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

The Kawasaki Ninja H2 Carbon is now a Kawasaki Ninja H2 (without the Carbon) and the Ninja was nearly a Nina …….

I’ve had no end of problems with the fairing, the instructions called for the fairing to be painted in gloss black on the outside and semi-gloss black on the inside. This went OK and I was pleased with the result, so next up was the carbon fibre decals. Much to my surprise, I’m not the World's best decaller, these went on quite well and stuck very well. I didn’t put them all on as there were a few really tricky ones, but I wasn’t at all pleased with result, the carbon fibre just didn’t look realistic. I decided to take the decals back off which was a nightmare, I ended up have to lightly sand some of them off and scratched away with a knife to get the corners cleaned up. So the next plan was to revert to the gloss black exterior, again this went OK, but when I applied the clear coat it was horrible. All I can think of was that the weather has been very humid (I live in Queensland Australia) and I’m guessing that stuffed it up. Next I realised that the fairing really should be metallic black to match the rest of the black body work. Finally success, and not a bad finish.

As for the Ninja/Nina, I applied one of the metallic decals (stickers?) to the tailpiece and realised much later that the “j” had come off on one side. So I managed to cut a very then strip off from the metallic sheet and used this as a “j”, not very good but better than a “Nina”.

Anyway, enough rambling, here are a couple of pictures, only the final decals to go. The next update will be in the “Ready for Inspection” section, thanks for reading.

52104428956_22abaacc5a_b.jpg

52104428951_df0b9a9c36_b.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks @Clogged, this is probably the first kit that I’ve I’ve built recently that I’m pleased with overall. Previous kits have been steps along the way, but as usual, there’s still more to learn and refine.

• Like 1