Tamiya Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth

Tamiya 1/24 Ford RS500 BTCC Labatts , for me this is the iconic BTCC car, an absolute monster in its day and could probably still hold its own now !!!.
Despite the age of the kit it is usual Tamiya quality for fit and finish, no issues at all in the build department.
The Trampio kit decals were no good so a set of SK Decals were obtained from Hiroboy along with the exact Zero Labatts paint.
Primered with Mr Surfacer black and clear coated with Mr Color Superclear 3, other paints were a mix of Tamiya and Mr Color.
Decals were softened with Microsol & set and were no issue at all.
As usual, constrcutive criticism more than welcome, thanks for looking !!!!

AA9-F72-C2-E948-4-C15-90-BC-816-B78-E404

D584-C40-E-DD87-4-AAC-B1-C6-6-C2896-DD84
48726-A8-C-5059-4047-9-B20-35-D4-A364-CF
B310-F05-D-D7-D7-4-F79-AE67-F34-B37940-D
C149586-C-9-C40-49-F8-AB9-F-FA3539-C50-E
50-D0-B34-D-2168-4-A03-827-E-9-CCCE8-F64
81-AA1-E72-8-FE9-45-C0-A194-673-A5218908
CEA1-D4-CE-C777-4598-AFCE-AFEFB6-D33759.
FF57-D01-B-F8-E8-4-B02-931-A-D9-B42-E5-A
8-C49238-B-9-B41-40-CA-BBA4-3-BDAACE1-EE
9-E8-AD007-ED45-465-F-A9-D5-24-D046825-C
AA9-F72-C2-E948-4-C15-90-BC-816-B78-E404

Edited by paulyoung666
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Really nice Paul. Great painting and decaling, which look like a tough job, done very well. The blue is also really nice choice. Top work.👏

Thanks , it’s definitely the best finish I’ve ever produced , not the most complex of kits though so there’s not a massive amount of detail going on , still it is a 30 odd year old kit , I’ve got another one in the stash to do in the red and black texaco colours 👍

• Like 1

Ah the Sierra, that brings some memories back. You've done a nice job on that, I don't remember it in the BTCC, but I think they had moved onto Mondeo's mostly by the time I took an interest. I love the irony of a don't drink and drive message on a race car advertising beer 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MRMRL said:

Ah the Sierra, that brings some memories back. You've done a nice job on that, I don't remember it in the BTCC, but I think they had moved onto Mondeo's mostly by the time I took an interest. I love the irony of a don't drink and drive message on a race car advertising beer 😂

Thanks , yes there’s a canny drop of irony there 🤣

Cracking Cossie Paul, lovely paint and decal work. Only thing I would do is touch in the bonnet pins in silver. Never seen any painted over, and if they were the paint would wear off by the third time you opened the bonnet.... :)

Top job!! 👍

Keith

• Thanks 1

That's great . Another example of old school livery ;simple , clean , memorable  . My only issue with the Tamiya Sierra is the real race cars always had a nose down , rear up stance which the kit doesn't portray. I remember not clipping the body down fully at the rear to try to get this look . 

Gary . 

• Thanks 1

Not a lot to criticise here, it looks good to me (And I didn';t notice the bonnet clips until Keith mentioned above).

It's weird how your memory plays tricks, I was sure these were a darker blue. Then when I Googled I realised my memory had put the dark blue from the Kaliber cars onto these :wall:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Beautiful build! Your paint looks flawless! Did you have any problems fitting the rear wing? That’s the only thing that gave me trouble when I built mine last month.

Ben

The rear wing was interesting , that’s all I’m saying 🤣

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Cracking Cossie Paul, lovely paint and decal work. Only thing I would do is touch in the bonnet pins in silver. Never seen any painted over, and if they were the paint would wear off by the third time you opened the bonnet.... :)

Top job!! 👍

Keith

Thanks Keith , 100% on the bonnet pins , I actually had some PE ones to fit but I completely forgot to carve the plastic ones off 🤦‍♂️

42 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Beautiful work :goodjob:

Thanks 🙏 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Windy37 said:

always had a nose down , rear up stance

I'd never noticed that! When googling images to look for it, I came across this that I hadn't heard of before either;

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ford-sierra-rs500-btcc-racer-reborn-new-continuation-run

Off to buy a Euromillions ticket....!! 🤣

Keith

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Cracking build!

Please re-release this Tamiya (built the Eggenberger one in 1990 when it first came out) to drive down eBay prices!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...