1/72 - Revell - P 51B VF - U (Part of a combat set - Part 1)

First metallic paint aircraft I’ve ever airbrushed. I think when you read the troubles that some modelers have with metallic paints, guys like us would be put off straight away; at making any advances on the subject. However, you do. Just to see if you can. With all the discussing about pigments, different shades of aluminium, graininess of the paint and the actual adhering of metallic, it’s hard to get your head round the technical stuff, when all you want to do is make a kit and paint it. Still we live and learn and I suppose you read a little, experiment a little and believe in yourself; a lot

I only had Tamiyas XF – 16 Flat Aluminium at the time, which was a bit thick, gloppy and grainy. Great start. However, after reading “Airbrushing and finishing scale models” by Brett Green, I found you could thin the paint with IPA. Thought I had nothing to lose and so went for it. It still gives a grainy finish. However, after a little work with some smoothing files, from my wife’s nail box, and a going over with a NSI leather finisher, things improved to what you see now.

Wasn’t too keen on the half transfer and half paint invasion stripes. So, decided to go the full hog and airbrush the lot. The black was done in Humbrol 33 Black and the white was done with Humbrol 34 White, both thinned and airbrushed. Still a bit thick in some places and the saw blade wasn’t playing tennis. I think for a first build, with I invasion stripes, I did OK. However, there is room for improvement. So ill not pat myself on the back just yet.

I think the pin wash is a little naf now – might go back to the drawing board with that, in more than one way – and the canopy was, well Ill not go there.

A lot going on in this kit and I think I was pretty glad to finish it. Don’t know if I should say this but I think I’d had enough of the kit and was just glad to finish it in one piece. However, Iam not out of the thick of it at the moment. Sometime in the future I have an Academy 1/72 P-51C “Red Tail” to do; and guess what, its metallic. At least there are no Invasion stripes. Thanks for looking in and Cheers.

PS - Hope you like the last picture, it was just a bit of fun to see it I could get it like an old black and white war photograph.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge
Reloaded images from new hosting site.
  • Like 24

On 1/19/2022 at 9:05 PM, billn53 said:

Aircraft with natural metal finish cover a wide spectrum, from highly polished to heavily worn and oxidized

This is true, as I am beginning to learn. In the book I mentioned the guy says that panels on the aircraft could be slightly different shades. On one of his builds he mentions using Alclad II and using shades A, B, C and D saying that its effective on the finished result.

realm of realism.

Wow, what can I say, Iam buzzing after that comment. Thank you billn53.  

Edited by Valleyforge

On 1/19/2022 at 11:50 PM, Jackson Duvalier said:

You've done a pretty good job, the metallic paint looks good.

Thanks, like I say first time with metallic s and maybe not the best paint to go with. However, when your starting out and not sure were you are going with things, you just go with what you have. I did a fair bit of research on the build so was pretty happy with the outcome. Thanks for looking in.

On 1/20/2022 at 5:52 AM, kapam said:

slightly dull finish seems to suit it

Thanks, cant say it was what I was trying to achieve; in the long run. :wonder: However, I do see were you are coming from; especially when I compare it to other builds. Still Ill have to up the anty if I want to get to the stage were I achieve the look I want; not thorough a mistake though. :nod: Iam going back to the book I read and I am going to do a break down of a build step by step. :nerdy: There is so much to take in and you only have to miss one thing or take a short cut and it seems you could end up in a world of pain. :like:

I think you're being a little hard on yourself with this. Its very nice indeed. As a first NMF build you've done something pretty special if i may say so. 

Some of the tips and tricks you'll pick up and improve upon with more builds. you might consider using Maskol liquid to protect the canopy from overspray or mask it with tape? If i'm using acrylics i use a cocktail stick to gently remove the overspray following the canopy moulding lines. 

You were quite brave to attempt invasion stripes I did some  on my current project in 1:32 scale. Another BM member pointed out that they were done in a hurry often. I did mine in acrylics white XF-2 first, then masked and hand painted the black over the white.. a slightly rough and ready look sometimes adds a little more realism.

The NMF is entirely authentic to my eye. There is such a variation in weathering they largely emerged from US factories in a mirror like finish but depending on which Theatre they ended up in and for how long they ended up with different degrees of oxidation and weathering . No one approach is right or wrong to my mind. Yours looks pretty good i must say and the wash had added something to it.

Really well done! An impressive debut NMF build. I look forward to your RedTail Mustang!

Kind Regards' Andy

• Like 1

I agree with the Colonel's comments. I have seen models from builders with a lot more time under their belt than you whose bare metal finishes were not as good as yours. If this is your first attempt, I would say you are pretty far along on the scale. I have a real  soft spot for 4th FG Mustangs, so I really like your choice of subject, A couple of suggestions for your next project, or to file away:

IIRC, P-51B/C's that were fitted with a Malcolm hood had the antenna mast replaced with a whip antenna, as the Malcolm hood slid back, unlike the original hood, which was hinged to open to one side at the top, and down at the side. A sliding hood would not open fully due to the mast. 

Wings were filled, surfacer was applied, and painted with aluminum paint, but the metal ailerons, flaps, and fuel tank covers under the wing center section were left unpainted. Subtle, to be sure, but adds to a realistic model.

Now go get an Academy or Tamiya P-47D razorback and get back to us! You can do it- every model you make will get better and better, as you apply what you have learned and what you have seen by looking at and reading about what others have done. 

Mike

• Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 10:53 PM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Its very nice indeed

Thanks very much for that.

the canopy

I made a hell of a mess of the canopy. To much handling of it. My strategy has change now. I get the clear parts only to paint them; then store them away. I put the canopy on before I varnish the aircraft and mask it off. However, I might start to varnish, decal, weather and matt varnish, then put the canopy on at the last minute.

brave to attempt invasion stripes

I had read a magazine and seen a few things on here and thought to myself, whats the point in decals and painting the stripes, why not do the lot in paint. Bit a of a pain when it came to masking over the paint. However, I have another approach to this next time.

No one approach is right or wrong to my mind

I am beginning to learn this a little now. It looks like that in some topics there are some real grey areas. I do some research into what Iam doing. However, not to the point some people do. I admire them for that. However, its not what Iam on here for.

I look forward to your RedTail Mustang!

Might be a while before that happens as I have about 6 small kits on the go at the moment. Thanks for the comments, time and input

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your replies Valley. Indeed I try and minimise canopy handling and it's always one of the last things I put into place these days. Glad I could be of help with some tips and advice. I think it's always a personal choice what you do and sometimes I find myself going in to too much detail and worrying... it's so true that this should be enjoyment first and foremost 😉... I did see some models on here where the guy had entirely coated the jets with a foil for NMF as a finish.. it looked amazing and the pics looked lifelike. Beyond my skills though!

Kind Regards, Andy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I did see some models on here where the guy had entirely coated the jets with a foil

Iam not sure about the jets, but seeing WW 2 is my era, I think these are pretty awesome. 

I find myself going in to too much detail and worrying

I know the feeling

minimize canopy handling

Lessons learnt

• Like 1

That was the guy! Well done for finding the thread!

i loved his liberator..amazing!

i always think of my old Art teacher at school who helped me develop my art she said " Go on, make your first 'mess' " lol when I was learning to paint with Acrylics.. she was right I'm sure. Enjoy yourself and don't worry if it doesn't come out Perfect! 

On 1/26/2022 at 12:06 PM, silverkite211 said:

Am I the only one who can't see the pictures that have been posted? I just see the broken image link with spacer.png instead of photos.

On 1/26/2022 at 1:02 PM, vppelt68 said:

No, you're not 😞

21 hours ago, Natter said:

Broken links...

Sorry guys. Iam not sure what the hell this is all about. I keep putting the pictures up and then they keep disappearing leaving behind the spacer png thing. On some links Ive had to put the images up several times. It seems to happen after about 12 days or so. Other people have posted on my thread and their pictures are still there. However, after a few days mine disappear. If some one can get the bottom of this or as any suggestions I would much appreciate a resolve to this problem. At the moment I dont know why it says spacer png to you guys as the images are there; for how long I dont know. Kind regards Keith

On 1/23/2022 at 9:36 PM, 72modeler said:

I would say you are pretty far along on the scale

Thanks. Had to go back over it a few times. Its not perfect but it was as good as I was prepared to take the build before I was going over work a couple of times and not improving it.

A couple of suggestions for your next project, or to file away:

Iam all ears. :thumbsup:

A sliding hood would not open fully due to the mast. 

Got it. Yeap it does make sense. 

Subtle, to be sure, but adds to a realistic model.

OK

Now go get an Academy or Tamiya P-47D razorback

Ill see what I can do. Ive just got a a couple of kits for this month and the piggy bank will need a restock. Ive a couple of 1/32nds to have a go at and a load of 1/72nds so ill try and slot a 1/72 Razorback in there somewhere. Thanks for the hints and information. Cheers.

2 hours ago, Valleyforge said:

Sorry guys. Iam not sure what the hell this is all about. I keep putting the pictures up and then they keep disappearing leaving behind the spacer png thing. On some links Ive had to put the images up several times. It seems to happen after about 12 days or so. Other people have posted on my thread and their pictures are still there. However, after a few days mine disappear. If some one can get the bottom of this or as any suggestions I would much appreciate a resolve to this problem. At the moment I dont know why it says spacer png to you guys as the images are there; for how long I dont know. Kind regards Keith

What host site are you using? When I try to open your photos on a new tab, it says URL signature expired.

Chris

On 1/27/2022 at 10:26 PM, dogsbody said:

What host site are you using? When I try to open your photos on a new tab, it says URL signature expired.

I started a new face book page just for pictures I post up on here.. The only other site I use to post pictures is PX 500

7 hours ago, Valleyforge said:

Will a Hasegawa P-47D razorback do

I actually like it better than the Academy kit, but the stabilizers are a little undersized, but not visibly so; the cockpit is very simple and not correct, and the wheel bays need to be boxed in, but they build into very nice models. Watch out for the sink marks above the flaps on the upper wings, and oh yes, the machine gun barrels should be horizontal and not follow the dihedral of the wings. They do fit very well and the canopy is crystal clear and fits very well! I had one that was pretty far along with wheel bay and cockpit improvements, to be done as a No. 73 OTU razorback based at Fayid, Egypt, bur then Tamiya released their two jewels....

Mike

https://www.bravobravoaviation.com/en/republic-p-47-thunderbolt/272-thunderbolt-mk-i-no-73-operational-training-unit-egypt-autumn-1944.html