Airfix - Spitfire MkVb, 249sqn Malta, George Beurling, 1942 EP706

Spitfire MkVb, TL EP706 - 249sqn Malta, flown by George Beurling in the autumn of 1942 during the final blitz of Malta.

I'm midway through a Malta project on three 1/48 aircraft to match my signed print of Trudgian's painting (below). Spit Vb (finished), re2001 (started) and a 109G (in stash) that will eventually be altogether in flight on one long base with 'water' effects below and one or two 1/700 convoy ships.

Added Propblur and brass gun barrels. 

Malta colours, and indeed colours of EP706, are a can of worms... so I went for the colours represented in the painting.  Lots of different evidence on radio and IFF wires from different periods/airframes on the island, from what I can tell this airframe had neither. 

🙂 

y4mtpkSyKRizVU13IRYt1k8eQDDD0m4a2N5ByzUE y4mEXYvWfiJ7XjgP24plMUT6I1HZaR-JT0_K9gDC y4m9oY44AsDGdKwnYo-2sFwPbawNzi470pl9cmTA y4mxj0ecXbxSnnSY6xG-4CbRM7wKfcFBOFsCCud0y4mSrP5VP4mp1BdUj6_NyFxdxSGzZpoG6X4RAdW7y4mTA4W09r1DfoH2oqopj5M7O8jaj7oV8BPY06IR

y4mBvSOhYxQEkroNqRa_b25954iSISTZgw1qwx9Uy4mRizpX4YtK0z9OyKSb5AOmerKfran67RXo_FYJy4mEPvS_irLy7Ck9E1-Ra5Xrg8gngG7tqW446hAw

• Like 27

37 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Lovely finish, I'm looking forwards to the end result with them over the base :)

21 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

Very nice - that’s a great finish and I really like the display stand 👏 

Thanks 😀

1 hour ago, Whistlekiller said:

That prop effect is very clever. Have you some more info on the procedure? 👍

Thanks, 

Absolutely, 

Purchase online form states, (just google Propblur). They come as photo-etch style metal cut outs in 1/144, 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32. Come in sets of 4 for 1/48. Nice guy, usually adds in a little extra from a different scale or another goodie. 

y4mqotADO7iR91SBntfstQOCv8gqdFqMIECVNgPh    

You need to fill the propeller hub. to complete the effect and to hide the join of the problur. 

I usually put in the propeller blade hub inside and cut off the blades, drilling a small hole into the cut off hub, this acts as a snug guide for the end of the propblur when inserted. I use little bits of sprue or photo etch cut out in the hole to keep it open during filling. 

y4m_Yu2XMZT62QpOzlFb5WYP2psf0o94aZdQaLe7

y4mBWXCAAcISYMNWP2jx0w0qbu7Jb09SeFPMQcFK Works better if you leave the 'hub' to come as close to the hole as possible, this was a little to deep inside and made finding the hole with the hub a little tricky once it was filled (last time I took photos was a couple of builds ago).

y4m0UID040p6q9YU8uG114mJahsVTxLJAF9pB6Sg fill the hub from here, pull out whatever you've used to keep the holes open once mostly dry. If it pulls a little filler outwards as it comes that's not a bad thing as it makes the sanding to flat a little easier.  Sand down to totally flush.

You don't have to put the hubs inside and drill, you can just fill the empty holes thoroughly and then make a small slit for the propblurs with a sharp hobby knife/needle ... a lot easier and less faff. Probably also better to do this at smaller scales. I just prefer the hold that the hubs give. 

Painting - y4mQoDc_No1lyel67b9ZzjrqeNfGWVMRZmy-749y

Paint them off the hub. Use 'tyre black' as actual black is just too dark. Try to paint in light layers across the proplurs so there is a slight 'banded' effect. On my current build (above) I also added some light grey bands for the first time across the blades to accentuate the effect of a translucent spinner. I think it works better so will start doing that from now on. 

Lots of pics and a similar guide somewhere on the actual propblur website. 

👍

Edited by Murewa