Classic Airframes 1/48 Grumman OA-12A Duck

Hello everyone,

This was my penultimate build for 2021: Classic Airframes' 1/48 Grumman OA-12A Duck. A lot of modifications went into this one: scratchbuilt forward lower fuselage, missing wing strut replaced, props shortened so they clear the float, corrected upper cowling, and the missing aerials added. This was my first biplane and attempt at rigging since the early 90s, when I was a young teenager, and it was a challenge. Most of the markings are masked and airbrushed; only the national insignia and prop stencils are decals. A full build article is in the latest edition of Scale Aircraft Modelling (Feb 2022 44-12).

Comments welcome and thanks for looking.

Jon

OA12A_18-1200.jpg

OA12A_05-1200.jpg

OA12A_10-1200.jpg

OA12A_11-1200.jpg

OA12A_12-1200.jpg

OA12A_14-1200.jpg

OA12A_28-1200.jpg

OA12A_32-1200.jpg

OA12A_26-1200.jpg

OA12A_27-1200.jpg

OA12A_37-1200.jpg

OA12A_43-1200.jpg

Edited by Jon Bryon
  • Like 42
  • Thanks 2

Really nice job, I've always loved the Duck for some reason and this is a lovely model. Really like the fact you haven't weathered it to within an inch of its life despite the facts its an amphibious plane.

What was your experience with this kit? I've always wanted to try a Classic Airframes kit but as they're quite rare now they're rather expensive...

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

If it flies like a duck; if it lands like a duck...Seriously, that is a very nice build and I like the chosen scheme, as well. It's a BIG duck in real life, as I have been up close to the one at the AFM and also the one in Kermit Weeks' Fantasy of Flight collection. I have the Airfix, Pavla, and Valom kits in  1/72...need to get up the nerve to see if I can get close to what you have done with yours!

Mike 

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments chaps :)

1 hour ago, Quiet Mike said:

What did you use for your rigging Jon?

It's Uschi van der Rosten standard rigging thread. It's not particularly representative of the real thing, but it's about as involved as I'm willing to get at this stage!

1 hour ago, MBM said:

What was your experience with this kit? I've always wanted to try a Classic Airframes kit but as they're quite rare now they're rather expensive...

The moulding quality is poor; mine might have been worse as it was a reissue boxing, and thus the moulds might have been more worn. However, once all the parts are cleaned up, the fit is surprisingly good. I began to think of it like a vacform. It's not particularly accurate and comes with lots of errors. It was a challenge I enjoyed, but I wouldn't want to make another one. It hasn't put me off the other Classic Airframes kits in my stash, and is the fifth I've made (after two Vampires, an Attacker and an Anson).

Cheers

Jon

On 1/19/2022 at 5:02 PM, Chaotic Mike said:

I'm surprised you used decals for the insignia, if you masked everything else, 

I've masked US Stars and Bars before, and it's not particularly fun :)

Jon

• Haha 1