PK-72 A-34 Comet Mk1 1/76 ++Finished++

I can't believe this one isn't on the list already. That needs rectified.

This was the first Matchbox AFV I ever built, I'd no idea what a Comet was but it looked cool. My dad, a former army officer, filled me in with the details as he had seen quite a few in during his service in the second half of the 1940s. The diorama base - an absolutely inspired move by Matchbox that set them apart from the competition.

A recent Revell rebox has been ordered and should arrive in a day or 2. I've been working on the excellent Rubicon 1/56th scale kit so I'm in the Comet groove at the moment. My son has also recently acquired the Vespid 1/72 scale kit which is a stunner.

Looking forward to this muchly 😀

John

• Like 11

Great news John and I too am quite surprised that we did not have a Comet thread until now. 

We look forward to seeing the Revell re-box and please feel free to share more Dad stories should the opportunity arise. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

Well hello, look what the postie just delivered:

Comet1

You have to love these new Revell boxes, excellent quality. 

Equally, excellent quality instruction sheet:

Comet2

2 crisp grey sprues:

Comet3

Comet4

Small but very nice decal sheet:

Comet5

It's nearly 50 years since I last built one of these so looking forward to it. Revell have produced a quality package, let's hope the parts hold up to the promise.

John 

• Like 6

• John changed the title to PK-72 A-34 Comet Mk1 1/76

Sure does look nice and one of these kits could possibly get me to open my up my wallet! The decals look quite good too, although I have no idea what units or regiments they are for.... give me squadron codes or bars any day! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Hi John,

I think that it was the Matchbox tank kit for me too, though I would prehaps have preferred the Cromwell. In fact I have built two Comets and at least one "backdated" to a Cromwell before anybody else released one - ie Revell then Airfix. I have also built a Centaur of the Royal Marines close support unit intended to fire from landing craft on D-Day which ended up going ashore anyway I too used SCC15 - mine was from the original White Ensign range of Colourcoats before Jamie took over.

I seem to remember Matchbox had one of their 2 versions with some sort of camo pattern in Deep Bronze Green and Dark Earth which was perhaps wrong - certainly the green would be SCC15, and by the time of the Normandy landing official instructions had dispensed with the use of disruptive colours, although at least one unit were still painting blue/black SCC14 over their OD Shermans. The instructions even banned the use of whitewash for winter schemes, saying that sheets should be used instead, though that was often ignored - perhaps they did not want to "requisition" any from German civilians?

Whatever, it is a nice kit and I am sure you will make a good job of it.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/01/2022 at 19:31, PeterB said:

I seem to remember Matchbox had one of their 2 versions with some sort of camo pattern in Deep Bronze Green and Dark Earth which was perhaps wrong - certainly the green would be SCC15, and by the time of the Normandy landing official instructions had dispensed with the use of disruptive colours, although at least one unit were still painting blue/black SCC14 over their OD Shermans.

On 30/01/2022 at 14:54, John said:

Revell have continued with the 2-tone scheme:

Comet10

2nd Devonshire Regiment.  Colour B is Bronze Green, C is Ochre.

51851925911_d6fbe0f69e.jpg

I suspect the answer is as simple as copying one in a museum...  (from http://timstanks.blogspot.com/2018/08/)  in the case Samur in France.

IMG_0184.JPG

the markings are identical

51836313528_10aa61f3b1_z.jpg

which at least answers the question i was going to ask, having picked up one of these myself recently as well, along with my survivor from 78/79 I think..

I really really wish that revell would tool up some link and length tracks for it, or just some decent tracks.  

neat work so far John

:goodjob:

cheers

T

• Like 4

Guess who managed to drop one of the front towing eyes on the floor and into oblivion...?

Comet12

Another is in the process of being fashioned from plastic strip. The overall bright green is Humbrol 80, which will be overcoated with Sovereign Hobbies SCC15.

John

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, John said:

Guess who managed to drop one of the front towing eyes on the floor and into oblivion...?

I do that a lot too, but the biggest problem is headlamps which, because of their shape, often ping off out of my tweezers and have to be replaced.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 5:31 AM, PeterB said:

Hi John,

I think that it was the Matchbox tank kit for me too, though I would prehaps have preferred the Cromwell. In fact I have built two Comets and at least one "backdated" to a Cromwell before anybody else released one - ie Revell then Airfix. I have also built a Centaur of the Royal Marines close support unit intended to fire from landing craft on D-Day which ended up going ashore anyway I too used SCC15 - mine was from the original White Ensign range of Colourcoats before Jamie took over.

I seem to remember Matchbox had one of their 2 versions with some sort of camo pattern in Deep Bronze Green and Dark Earth which was perhaps wrong - certainly the green would be SCC15, and by the time of the Normandy landing official instructions had dispensed with the use of disruptive colours, although at least one unit were still painting blue/black SCC14 over their OD Shermans. The instructions even banned the use of whitewash for winter schemes, saying that sheets should be used instead, though that was often ignored - perhaps they did not want to "requisition" any from German civilians?

Whatever, it is a nice kit and I am sure you will make a good job of it.

Cheers

Pete

Yes back in the day I yelled out loudly to Matchbox “Why the heck did you produce the Comet when we all wanted a Cromwell!”.  

And then we learned to live with and love the Comet ... (but still wanted a Cromwell!).  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rob S said:

Yes back in the day I yelled out loudly to Matchbox “Why the heck did you produce the Comet when we all wanted a Cromwell!”.  

And then we learned to live with and love the Comet ... (but still wanted a Cromwell!).  

I liked the Comet because it gave some much needed hitting power on the school wargames table, especially as I always seemed to be the Allies and my opponents invariably fielded historically incorrect phalanxes of Tigers and Panthers. 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, IanC said:

I liked the Comet because it gave some much needed hitting power on the school wargames table, 

And of course the Matchbox Firefly helped as well.

Pete

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • John changed the title to PK-72 A-34 Comet Mk1 1/76 ++Finished++