Trumpeter 1/35 BR52 Kreigslocomotive

MRMRL

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to catch up on presenting my completed builds after only joining recently (a process that might take a while as some of the older ones I plan to touch up first). Since I'm sort of going back in time doing more recent things first, here's one I made earlier (as in mid-2021). This is Trumpeter's 1/35 BR52 Kreigslocomotive kit. I've got to be honest, I was expecting it to be a really tough build, but the kit went together really well and I actually wish there were more steam engines in this scale to build because it was so much fun. The only snag I had was that there were three missing pieces, three out of four parts from two of the same vertical links in the wheel mechanism (sorry I'm not really into trains so I don't know the technical terms). I did get a reply from the Trumpeter spare parts email address (apparently that's not always the case) but no spares could be sent, so I had to scratch build what I was missing and even though I rarely scratch build anything, I think I've done it well enough that they're hard to see. Hope you enjoy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And one of the interior, sorry this isn't the best photo

spacer.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Looks great, and is a simple but effective colour scheme. Nice to see the pipes and valves inside the cab too.

How long is the kit? I've looked at this one, along with a few other Trumpeter train kits in this scale (although the others seem to be diesel locomotives, or a smaller steam train to this one), have yet to buy one though.

Edited by Comcastle
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Comcastle said:

Looks great, and is a simple but effective colour scheme. Nice to see the pipes and valves inside the cab too.

How long is the kit? I've looked at this one, along with a few other Trumpeter train kits in this scale (although the others seem to be diesel locomotives, or a smaller steam train to this one), have yet to buy one though.

Thank you, I agree the red and black isn't a difficult scheme to produce but it's pretty striking.

The kit is about 85 cm long (just fractionally too long for a well known Ikea bookcase that I use for most of my display cases), and the track base takes it to close to 1 m.

3 hours ago, MRMRL said:

Thank you, I agree the red and black isn't a difficult scheme to produce but it's pretty striking.

The kit is about 85 cm long (just fractionally too long for a well known Ikea bookcase that I use for most of my display cases), and the track base takes it to close to 1 m.

Ah, quite large then! I think I may have to look at their smaller steam engine kit then, or the diesel loco's they offer. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Comcastle said:

Ah, quite large then! I think I may have to look at their smaller steam engine kit then, or the diesel loco's they offer. 

Fair enough, I'd be tempted by the smaller steam engine myself, have a little brother for this beastie.

28 minutes ago, Maginot said:

Very impressive model nicely finished. Yes, you're going to need a bigger cabinet.

Agreed, I do have a  man cave in the loft with a space it fits in, although I might need a better space if I build enough of the stash.

Hi MRMRL,

A model rarely seen in the forum, I myself think I only made one locomotive since I made models, I think it was a smaller scale, so you comment on dimensions, obviously yours is a better kit, and you have gotten very good out of it party, I really like the metallic aspect of the 3rd photo, perhaps because of how the light falls on the body.
Good Job.
Cheers and TC.
Francis👍

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi MRMRL,

A model rarely seen in the forum, I myself think I only made one locomotive since I made models, I think it was a smaller scale, so you comment on dimensions, obviously yours is a better kit, and you have gotten very good out of it party, I really like the metallic aspect of the 3rd photo, perhaps because of how the light falls on the body.
Good Job.
Cheers and TC.
Francis👍

Hi Francis, thank you. It was a very good kit, very fun to build if you (sort of) have room for it. My metallic effect is luck and lighting I'm afraid, just airbrushed the black then applied a gloss varnish, a weathering wash and then another coat of gloss. Shiny :) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MRMRL said:

Thus it seems that Trumpeter has grossly oversized this engine.

The full-size BR52 with rigid-frame 4T30 tender (as seen in your pictures) was exactly 22,830mm long, which at 1:35 should be just 652mm.

With the twin-bogie 2'2'T30 "Badewannentender" the O/L was 22,975mm (early tender, with 1800mm bogie wheelbase) or 23,430mm (late-war version, with 2000mm bogie w/b).

The "Kondenslok" variant BR52 19-20 with the 2'2'T13,5Ko tender was 25,875mm long, while the BR52 18-90 with the 5-axis 3'2'T16Ko tender was the longest BR52 ever, measuring 27,535mm. But even that one at 1:35 should be just 787mm - it's still quite a lot to 85cm.

Mind that 85 cm in 1:35 is 29,750mm real size, and the turntables in BR engine houses were only 30,000m in diameter.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m

8 hours ago, MRMRL said:

Hi Francis, thank you. It was a very good kit, very fun to build if you (sort of) have room for it. My metallic effect is luck and lighting I'm afraid, just airbrushed the black then applied a gloss varnish, a weathering wash and then another coat of gloss. Shiny :) 

Hi MRMRL,

It's not just luck, the work you mention is there, it's just a matter of discovering it with the later photos, (I'm not referring to tricks like Photoshop in full edition...lol)...
I think the photos are an important part (later and complementary) for the hobby, they show our work (for better or worse), and they are a great help to guide us to where we want to go in our hobby...
For this reason, that "metallic" shine looks so good for my taste, previously, you have done some processes, and there is the result.
I have seen that a satin varnish is a perfect option to reflect a metallic finish on an AFV, not too shiny, not totally matte....
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KRK4m said:

Thus it seems that Trumpeter has grossly oversized this engine.

The full-size BR52 with rigid-frame 4T30 tender (as seen in your pictures) was exactly 22,830mm long, which at 1:35 should be just 652mm.

With the twin-bogie 2'2'T30 "Badewannentender" the O/L was 22,975mm (early tender, with 1800mm bogie wheelbase) or 23,430mm (late-war version, with 2000mm bogie w/b).

The "Kondenslok" variant BR52 19-20 with the 2'2'T13,5Ko tender was 25,875mm long, while the BR52 18-90 with the 5-axis 3'2'T16Ko tender was the longest BR52 ever, measuring 27,535mm. But even that one at 1:35 should be just 787mm - it's still quite a lot to 85cm.

Mind that 85 cm in 1:35 is 29,750mm real size, and the turntables in BR engine houses were only 30,000m in diameter.

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael, 85cm was my guess, it's currently in the loft and I don't go up there all the time so I've not measured. 787mm with the tender would be really tight for my downstairs cabinet and wouldn't fit with the base in any case so that's probably about right. Trumpy list it as 886mm on their website, but that could include the track base to be fair.

That loco got a visual punch! Too long, or too short, whatever!

I just hope, you don't call it a "finished piece"!

Plenty of paintwork on a base (silver tracks, white gravel - really?)

Would be a high "talking point" on a separate shelf "downstairs" 👍

Try it!

Zig

• Thanks 1

I have an "in progress" one of these, tho currently stalled "on ice" whilst doing other things.

Well done for sticking it together!  ...I've found it an awful kit tbh with very bad fit of parts and injection marks everywhere, I'll have to scratch build much of it too. Mines going to be a WW2 period loco in grey and dirt !

Nice to see another one of these 👍

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

I have an "in progress" one of these, tho currently stalled "on ice" whilst doing other things.

Well done for sticking it together!  ...I've found it an awful kit tbh with very bad fit of parts and injection marks everywhere, I'll have to scratch build much of it too. Mines going to be a WW2 period loco in grey and dirt !

Nice to see another one of these 👍

Thanks "Pig", I'd say definitely stick at it, it's worth it in the end - quite the showstopper in anyone's collection (whatever the skill level too). I've seen some phenomenal efforts in constructing these kits, including one where 90% had been rebuilt for better accuracy, but I'm more than happy with my OOB result.

• Like 1

Wow, that's a great piece of modelling, and unusual in this posting section. I like the photographic perspectives you have chosen.

Btw, I think the word you're looking for is 'Kriegslokomotive'.

Cheers, Michael

• Thanks 1