Jump to content

1/12 BT44B 1975


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Looks good, glad it all worked out OK!

 

Malc.

 

Many thanks for all your help Malc...it was nice to finally resolve the issue...and very pleased you think it looks ok :)

 

Ron

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

With the top shock mounts out of the way...a few more bits received some attention 😱

 

First (what I assume is the torsion/stabilizer bar...but feel free to correct me)...which...as you can see...is very different on the 1:1 when compared to the kit.

Once I have the length sorted...I will then add the adjustment holes etc. (which is why I chose ali tube...much easier to drill all those holes).....

 

1975-06-22-Zandvoort-Holland-38-copy.jpg  CCC2.jpg

 

Then I needed to modify the A frame and connecting rods associated with the torsion bar.....

 

CCC1.jpg  CCC3.jpg

 

An idea of size.....

 

CCC4.jpg

 

As with all the modified/replaced parts...I have allowed for final adjustments when it comes to joining all the sub assemblies to the main body...so have used matt varnish to hold them together for now...which also makes painting it all much easier.

 

to be continued............

Edited by silver911
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yet another missing detail...throttle cable adjuster and linkage rod.

 

1:1 ref.....

 

Clutch-and-Throttle-Cables-copy.jpg

 

And what I came up with.....

 

IMG-7591.jpg

 

Not fixed or finished as yet...just another minor anal moment 🙄

 

to be continued............

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, silver911 said:

Yet another missing detail...throttle cable adjuster and linkage rod.

 

1:1 ref.....

 

Clutch-and-Throttle-Cables-copy.jpg

 

And what I came up with.....

 

IMG-7591.jpg

 

Not fixed or finished as yet...just another minor anal moment 🙄

 

to be continued............

 

Far better than "not so bad", @silver911 :)

 

Joke aside, you work is still and always inspiring for all of us, mere mortals, as the late Codger used to say, respect and thousand thanks, Ron 👏

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CrazyCrank said:

 

Far better than "not so bad", @silver911 :)

 

Joke aside, you work is still and always inspiring for all of us, mere mortals, as the late Codger used to say, respect and thousand thanks, Ron 👏

 

Many thanks for the huge compliment Thierry...and certainly no need to thank me.

I would like to think Mr C would have approved of my efforts...especially as he and I held you yourself in very high regard...so it means even more to me that you mention him with such feeling.

 

Ron

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, silver911 said:

 

Many thanks for the huge compliment Thierry...and certainly no need to thank me.

I would like to think Mr C would have approved of my efforts...especially as he and I held you yourself in very high regard...so it means even more to me that you mention him with such feeling.

 

Ron

As you certainly know, Codger was my sponsor on this forum.
He had always kind and encouraging words for everyone, and that,  I'll never forget that ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

As you certainly know, Codger was my sponsor on this forum.
He had always kind and encouraging words for everyone, and that,  I'll never forget that ...

 

In truth...it was Chas who drove me ever onwards in my search for 'reality' in my builds...indeed...it was his passion behind many of us here on this forum,,,and all of us benefited from knowing him.

His words of kindness were always genuine...never did he give empty compliments...and personally...his support got me through some dark times in my life...I miss his 'presence' here...and every day in my life.

 

Ron

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that we all miss him, but you, Ron had a special relationship with him. I can understand missing him has a different meaning for you than for most others.

After his Rolls, we did not see him build anything, but he sure kept a close eye on what everybody was doing and motivated many of us to do better and, above all to continu the builds. 

Anyway, your build pictures shows progress. Your improvements are far beyond what most (including me) can achieve.

Looking perfect to me 👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pouln said:

I think that we all miss him, but you, Ron had a special relationship with him. I can understand missing him has a different meaning for you than for most others.

After his Rolls, we did not see him build anything, but he sure kept a close eye on what everybody was doing and motivated many of us to do better and, above all to continu the builds. 

Anyway, your build pictures shows progress. Your improvements are far beyond what most (including me) can achieve.

Looking perfect to me 👍

 

Thank you for your kind words and sentiment towards Mr C

Sadly...due to many health issues...we were deprived of seeing his skills and dedication showcased further...but his love of...and passion for this hobby never waned for a second.

 

I admit to being happy with the progress so far...and you do yourself an injustice to say my skills are beyond most...certainly not yours.

 

Sincerely

 

Ron

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A little more progress on the front discs and calipers.

Using this ref...I have begun to add some finer details.....

 

Front-Brake-Detail.jpg

 

So far...I have added the brake pipe (which is yet to be bent and fittings added...but serves to hold it for painting)...the brake pads and their retaining clips...with the bleed nipples still to come.....

 

IMG-7593.jpg

 

to be continued............

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Awesome!!!

So many details added!

I love the lower fittings of your shock absorbers.

Can’t wait to see more.

 

Pascal 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, pg265 said:

Hi,

 

Awesome!!!

So many details added!

I love the lower fittings of your shock absorbers.

Can’t wait to see more.

 

Pascal 

 

A huge compliment from someone I respect and admire for true craftsmanship in your own work Pascal...especially your current Ferrari 256 F1

 

Whilst I envy those who can afford the MFH genre of kits...and although trying to achieve such levels of detail with a plastic injection kit will never be achievable...it's still a rewarding exercise for me.

 

Ron

Edited by silver911
added text
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking really good Ron :) 

Love the little torsion bar idea, so much more realistic and not a hugely difficult one to do with he right ends and ally tube either

 

I've got a week off next week, so hopefully I can fit a bit of benchtime in, finish the Matchbox surtees and on with the Castrol Celica rally car for the turning Japanese GB :) 

(All inbetween jobs being stacked up by SWMBO of course :) )

 

Ian :) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Looking really good Ron :) 

Love the little torsion bar idea, so much more realistic and not a hugely difficult one to do with he right ends and ally tube either

 

I've got a week off next week, so hopefully I can fit a bit of benchtime in, finish the Matchbox surtees and on with the Castrol Celica rally car for the turning Japanese GB :) 

(All inbetween jobs being stacked up by SWMBO of course :) )

 

Ian :) 

 

Thanks Ian...fingers crossed for some bench time for ya next week :)

 

Ron

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next modification of kit parts...front upper arms...the K3's need to remain movable when assembled to the arm frame itself (G12 & G13).

The kit instructions explain it best.....

 

3-copy.jpg

 

Spread of kit parts...and the two (K3) remade parts from metal...with a close up of them as well.....

 

IMG-7596.jpg   IMG-7597.jpg

 

Just for info...they are 24 mm long...and made with 2 x 1 mm eyebolts...1.58 mm ali tube...and 2 x 1.2 mm nuts.

 

to be continued............

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, silver911 said:

Next modification of kit parts...front upper arms...the K3's need to remain movable when assembled to the arm frame itself (G12 & G13).

The kit instructions explain it best.....

 

3-copy.jpg

 

Spread of kit parts...and the two (K3) remade parts from metal...with a close up of them as well.....

 

IMG-7596.jpg   IMG-7597.jpg

 

Just for info...they are 24 mm long...and made with 2 x 1 mm eyebolts...1.58 mm ali tube...and 2 x 1.2 mm nuts.

 

to be continued............

 

 

That is beautiful.

Are your Ali tubes glued with CA, or two-components glue ?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

 

That is beautiful.

Are your Ali tubes glued with CA, or two-components glue ?

 

 

Thank you Thierry :)

 

I generally use CA Gel...which gives a better bond in my personal experience...however...in cases such as these (the K3 parts) where there is only a very small surface area to glue between the main post and the small cross bar...I drilled through the cross piece...and used a nickel silver pin...which is inserted through it and into the upright tube...then gently grind the head of the pin flush to the surface.

It's important to roughen the surfaces to be mated...also...one thing I almost never do with CA ali joins...is to use an 'accelerator'...I find it makes the glue brittle...and reduces the adhesion.

Hope that helps?

 

Ron

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Just when you all thought you were safe from my ramblings 😱...yep.....I'm back to torment you 🤣

 

Whilst...in essence...nearly all the prep for the front end is now done...meaning I can start planning on painting the main section of bodywork when finances allow...I have been working on various other areas of the build.

In no particular order or sequence...other than to allow me to double and triple check the fit of sub assemblies...here are some shots of where it stands now.

First off...the front brakes and hubs.....

 

IMG-7609.jpg IMG-7635.jpg

IMG-7636.jpg

 

Test fit with front wheels.....

 

IMG-7605.jpg

IMG-7606.jpg

 

Next...a selection of various small details.

 

The seat belt rear anchors.....

 

IMG-7611.jpg

 

Cam cover fixings.....

 

IMG-7620.jpg

 

Medical Air Tank detailing.....

 

IMG-7637.jpg IMG-7638.jpg

 

Vacuum fitting.....

 

IMG-7623.jpg

 

Roll bar missing fittings...oil tank hoses...front brake air duct hose fittings at the caliper ends.....

 

IMG-7639.jpg

 

IMG-7640.jpg

 

IMG-7641.jpg

 

Fuel pump has been modded (much like the 312T was) with metal fittings.....

 

IMG-7625.jpgIMG-7624.jpgIMG-7626.jpg

 

Jumping ahead to coil/distributor/fuel pump are joined and have had the first stage of detailing added...and the scratched plug lead separators made...along with the oddly shaped boots at the cam cover endings (the tool I made is in the pic) as well as the rings that go on the plug leads.....along with an idea for replacing the injectors.....

 

IMG-7627.jpg

 

Some initial work has been done on the gearbox...with the starter shaft having been replaced with metals and the leads added...also the caliper and brake line details added.....

 

IMG-7628.jpgIMG-7629.jpg

IMG-7630.jpg

 

The main block has been kept to a minimum for now...as there are a lot more details to be added.

Weathering was added based on my mid 1975 race ref pics...and also the common appearance of the multitude of DFV refs I have...which show a discoloured and dusty look.....

 

IMG-7631.jpgIMG-7632.jpgIMG-7633.jpgIMG-7634.jpg

 

Finally...the wheels have had valves and weights added.....

 

IMG-7642.jpg

 

And there you have it as of today.

 

to be continued............

 

 

 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The neatness of your work never fails to impress Ron. Excellent stuff, the fuel metering unit is a gem and I'll be interested to see your injector solution, it's always a weak area on the Tamiya engines and one that bugs me every time I build one.

 

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow 😮

You have been a busy boy haven't you Ron :) 

The amount of detail is absolutely superb as usual, I think the painting and weathering of the engine is excellent 

 

Ian :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, silver911 said:

.and also the common appearance of the multitude of DFV refs I have...which show a discoloured and dusty look.

Which you have achieved to absolute perfection 👌 - Andy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great work Ron, the brake assemblies look fab and the gearbox unit looks real, I like the weathered appearance fella, just add the gearbox oil and it's good to go.

Chris

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Coors54 said:

The neatness of your work never fails to impress Ron. Excellent stuff, the fuel metering unit is a gem and I'll be interested to see your injector solution, it's always a weak area on the Tamiya engines and one that bugs me every time I build one.

 

Dave

 

Cheers for compliments Dave...I tend towards neatness in pretty much everything I do...old habits as they say :)

 

As for the injectors...I am still not happy with the trial one I made in the pic I posted...it's too large IMHO...so I have been studying my refs whilst searching through what materials I have to try and refine the idea...and get it smaller and more in line with the 1:1

 

Ron

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...