1/12 BT44B 1975

11 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Wow 😮

You have been a busy boy haven't you Ron :) 

The amount of detail is absolutely superb as usual, I think the painting and weathering of the engine is excellent 

Ian :) 

Many thanks Ian.

It's the same old argument...the more you add the more you find to add 🤬

I admit to enjoying the weathering on the DFV...more so than the flat twelve Boxer...it just looks more race used than the 312T did.

Replicating the wear to go along with the weathering is a nice challenge...and lends itself well to my techniques.

ATB

Ron

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toftdale said:

Which you have achieved to absolute perfection 👌 - Andy

Much appreciated Andy 👍

I will admit to having a soft spot for the DFV...they always look so well used in pretty much all the pics you can find...which gives someone like me a lot of fun when trying to replicate it...and allows me to use all the favourite techniques I have in my toolbox.

Ron

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Ron, the brake assemblies look fab and the gearbox unit looks real, I like the weathered appearance fella, just add the gearbox oil and it's good to go.

Chris

Glad you like the work so far Chris :)

There will be more detailing and weathering at a later stage on the gearbox...as I tend to tie everything together following the final assembly...which gives a more 'balanced' final presentation to my eye.

Ron

• Like 1

In response to Dave's (Coors54) comment in being interested to see what I came up with for the 'injectors'...and not being happy with my first/second or third attempts!...here is the Mk4 version.

They are now 30% smaller overall than the Mk1 😉

First the spread of parts involved in each one.....

IMG-7645.jpg

Next a test fit.....

IMG-7646.jpg

After 9 hours and much cursing...8 made :)

A comparison to the kit parts.....

IMG-7648.jpg

I am pleased that...even reducing the overall size...the fuel lines will insert into the injector as per the 1:1...and avoid the push on solution of the kit.

to be continued............

• Like 8

As always, beautifull stuff, Ron. And yes, you keep finding additions and improvements.😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pouln said:

As always, beautifull stuff, Ron. And yes, you keep finding additions and improvements.😉

Thanks Poul :)

With the BT44b...as opposed to the 312T...it's not so much about what's missing from the kit...more an exercise in what can be replaced/improved/corrected...with extra/missing details added purely for the fun of it.

Ron

2 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Impressing work so far, this kit will end up being better engineered than the real car 👍 :) 

Thanks DF 👍

It's a fine piece of engineering but...like so many cars of that era...certain areas of engineering were a bit suspect 😱

Ron

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silver911 said:

Thanks DF 👍

It's a fine piece of engineering but...like so many cars of that era...certain areas of engineering were a bit suspect 😱

Ron

It is all too easy to forget that that era really was a time when cars were knocked up in a shed.  I remember all the manufacturers that were in Slough Trading Estate in tiny workshops, only noticeable by their transport trailers giving the game away.

A far cry from today’s surgical clean environments. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mumbly said:

It is all too easy to forget that that era really was a time when cars were knocked up in a shed.  I remember all the manufacturers that were in Slough Trading Estate in tiny workshops, only noticeable by their transport trailers giving the game away.

A far cry from today’s surgical clean environments. 

I know people often refer to the golden days of Fangio et al...and indeed there were many such eras you could deem as incredibly dangerous...to which I wholeheartedly concur...but...1975/6 holds many fond memories for me...not least of which F1

Ron

Continuing with the fuel rails/trumpets...

Having made the injectors from metals...and with Tamiya supplying machined ali trumpets in this 're-release'...I just had to do something about the injector bases !

No point in having metal trumpets sat on blobs of plastic...with the added hassle of trying to fit the metal injectors into them.

So...time to create some metal replacements.

I used some ali tube that fitted snugly into the cut-outs in the trumpets (sorry about the poor pic but you get the idea) and used industrial strength CA Gel to fix it in place.....

IMG-7649.jpg

These were left over night to harden...then...using a micro saw...the overhang was cut away flush with the trumpet base...and a mounting pin glued into it.....

IMG-7654.jpg IMG-7655.jpg

Then I removed the kit injectors from the rails...and drilled holes for the mounting pins in the base of each trumpet.....

IMG-7653.jpg

Then it was a case of base coating the rails and...once dry...attaching the trumpets.....

IMG-7656.jpg IMG-7657.jpg

Will let these harden over night...then test fit the primed injectors 😱

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Toftdale said:

Well worth your efforts, the trumpets look fantastic - Andy 

Much appreciated Andy :)

A lot more still to do...add the injectors...weather it all etc. ...but very happy with it so far.

Ron

Time to start assembling some bits.

First off...coil/distributor/fuel pump/vacuum pump.....

IMG-7661.jpg

Weathered and fitted rails/trumpets and injector assembly to main block.....

IMG-7665.jpg IMG-7666.jpg

A few fun hours of making sense of all the lines and leads ahead 😱🤬

Edited by silver911
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Toftdale said:

Another perfect example of how you always manage to harmonise all the individual elements so nothing looks out off place - Andy 

Many thanks for compliment Andy...always appreciated :)

I have always tried to maintain a 'balance' in my style/techniques...and always work from 1:1 refs...which...IMHO...is the only way to replicate the full size subject.

Ron

12 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Stunning work as usual Ron :) 

Looking very realistic 

Ian :) 

Many thanks Ian :)

Glad you find the look realistic...must be doing something right then 😉

Ron

• Like 1

Nothing exciting...just a couple of bits added to the main block...a small tank...on which I replaced the main pipe with ali tube...plus heat shrink and hose clamps.....

IMG-7680.jpg IMG-7681.jpg

Next kit part for replacement...and another chance to use the micro UJ's...gear shift linkage.....

IMG-7679.jpg

Then four more tie rods...which have one end unglued for final adjustment when assembling.....

IMG-7683.jpg

Lastly....another pipe modified with ali tubes/heat shrink/ hose clamps.....

IMG-7682.jpg

• Like 10

A fair bit of scratching done today :)

Final eight tie rods made from metals to replace the kit parts.....

IMG-7686.jpg

Then the torsion bar...seen in amongst the kit tie rods above...which...having made the front one from metals...I had to repeat it with the rear one...a lot of tiny bits and careful bending resulted in this.....

IMG-7688.jpg

The two tiny brass sleeves are for the eye bolts (too much play in the holes)...I will cut the brass rod to size when it's ready to be assembled.

Another tiny piece modified...just for the hell of it.....

IMG-7684.jpg IMG-7685.jpg

A lot of metal priming to be done now.

to be continued..............

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if updates are still of interest to others...but work is still progressing.

First up...the rear radiator stone guards.

In the pic are the three iterations...1 (far left) too big in scale and size...2 (middle) better scale but too small in size...3 (far right) good scale and size.....

IMG-7692.jpg

Then it was time to get all the bits and fixings onto the sub frame...including the above stone guards.....

IMG-7725.jpgIMG-7726.jpg

Another area to receive detailing/modifying...the rear wing stays.

Instead of using the plastic stubs (moulded onto the gearbox for mounting) they now have proper bolts as per the 1:1...and the kit plastic cross brace has been replaced with metals and end fixing bolts.....

IMG-7693.jpg

Along with the above...work continues on the engine/gearbox assembly.

I had to revise and remake the brake lines...the first attempt interfered with the wing stays!...ooopsie.

The first of the metal tie bars are bolted in place...along with some added cables and wires.....

IMG-7713.jpgIMG-7720.jpgIMG-7714.jpgIMG-7715.jpgIMG-7716.jpgIMG-7717.jpgIMG-7718.jpgIMG-7719.jpg

Still a lot more to be added...but beginning to take shape.

• Like 13

Hi Ron

Your updates are always still welcome mate. 

The engine looks absolutely superb  as is to be expected, need to have a proper read through of  the site as I've been away for a week or so, so much progression has gone on all over

Ian 😁

• Thanks 1