1/12 BT44B 1975

2 hours ago, Toftdale said:

All done to your impressively usual high standard.   I have said before that I particularly admire your painting skills, however I hope and assume that the roll-over hoop will remain unpainted - Andy 

Thanks for kind words Andy...and yes...will remain in bare metal 👍

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pouln said:

Amazing if you compare it to the stock stuff you showed before. Looking great?

Glad you approve of the effort Poul...having had to remake the rear bar and front cross bar twice each as well as the headrest...it was nice to finally get it sorted and together :)

Ron

16 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Thanks for all of the detail, Silver911.  I have this in my stash and am very much looking forward to it

Glad it may be of help when you tackle yours.

Ron

12 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Fantastic scratch building Ron, looks great !

Thanks for those kind words...and yes...I am pleased with how it turned out.

Ron

• Like 1

Next mix of scratch and kit parts...the steering rack and hub connecting arms.

With only the ends of the steering rack ever being visible...I decided to utilize the main body of it...and just replace the ends with metal couplings.....

AAA1.jpg

Just a case of cutting off the plastic ends...drilling out the main tubular sections...and replacing them with the scratched metal ones.....

AAA2.jpg

Then it was a case of making metal replacement connecting arms to match the kit and 1:1 ref parts.....

AAA3.jpg

Finally...a test assembly before cleaning everything up.....

AAA4.jpg

to be continued............

• Like 8

The details inside the rollbar look great Ron, some very nice scratchwork.

But the outside bar has some strange bends in the curve on top. Did you use a tube ? 

Personally, I prefer to use a metal rod, so that it doesn't "cave in" when I bend it.

But I'm nit picking here. 

Sincerely

Pascal

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pascal said:

The details inside the rollbar look great Ron, some very nice scratchwork.

But the outside bar has some strange bends in the curve on top. Did you use a tube ? 

Personally, I prefer to use a metal rod, so that it doesn't "cave in" when I bend it.

But I'm nit picking here. 

Sincerely

Pascal

Your criticism of the top bends is justified...it's crap!

Put quite simply Pascal...I had only one piece of tube the right diameter to work with (with needing to cut slots for the crossbar and rear bar supports rod would not work for me)...and even using heat didn't help...so it's the best result I could get using what I had.

With an inner diameter of 1.8 mm...it was impossible to use a bending spring or sand...and I didn't have any larger diameter posts to bend it around.

The above are not excuses for poor workmanship...merely an explanation for the less than perfect result.

I welcome your critique...and accept it in the vein it was intended :)

Ron

Carrying on with the steering rack and hub connecting rods...time to sort the hub itself.

I purchased some RC car hubs...with the intention to replace the plastic parts...along with the supplied screws and nuts...for something closer to the 1:1.

I knew they would need machining down to mirror the fit of the kit parts...whilst still giving the impression of the actual parts on the real car.

In the first pic are the kit parts.....

BBB1.jpg

Whilst in the second pic you can see the RC parts before and after machining down to the correct size.....

BBB2.jpg  BBB3.jpg

BBB4.jpg

I will adjust the length of the shafts to properly retain the wheels...and also drill holes for the retaining clips later on in the build.

With that done...next came the connecting points for the steering control arms I previously made...a case of removing the small plastic bar and drilling 1.2 mm holes for the bolts.

And this is the complete assembly.....

BBB5.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CrazyCrank said:

Amazing job, as always, Ron.

It's a pleasure to look at your micro-surgery work and to see how easily you solve some problems !

Congrats 👏

Your kind words are much appreciated Thierry :)

I admit...I try to think outside the box when looking for parts and accessories to replace kit parts...it's quite amazing what is out there if you look hard enough.

Much as I enjoy making things...sometimes a ready made solution comes in very handy.

Ron

Edited by silver911
  • Confused 1

Whilst prepping more of the hub associated bits...and studying some ref pics...I noticed a detail missing from the disc hubs!

The kit parts.....

IMG-7576.jpg

As you can see...there are no ventilation holes around the central cover plate.

A bit of careful drilling later.....

IMG-7577.jpg

To make it easier to clean them up the screws and nuts are used for mounting in the Dremel.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, silver911 said:

1 hour ago,  CrazyCrank said: 

Amazing job, as always, Ron.

It's a pleasure to look at your micro-surgery work and to see how easily you solve some problems !

Congrats 

Your kind words are much appreciated Pascal :)

I admit...I try to think outside the box when looking for parts and accessories to replace kit parts...it's quite amazing what is out there if you look hard enough.

Much as I enjoy making things...sometimes a ready made solution comes in very handy.

Ron

Hum, my firstname isn't Pascal  but Thierry 😄

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

Hum, my firstname isn't Pascal  but Thierry 😄

I sincerely apologise Thierry (and have corrected my error)...my bad...it's an age thing 😱

Ron

Edited by silver911
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The Roll bar assembly looks awesome, what a cracking job , loving the additions tother steering assembly too. 

Chris

Many thanks Chris...much appreciated :)

Whilst I freely admit it's not 100% accurate to the 1:1...I do feel it's an improvement over the basic kit parts...likewise with the steering rack etc. ...the best result I could get with what materials and tools I have.

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Finally got the top shock mounts finished...utiliising Malc2's suggestions...with minor refinements...I have a workable solution now and...again...I feel it looks better than the kit option.....

IMG-7580.jpg

It was critical to retain the kit stance...with the important aspect being the vertical alignment with the lower half of the shock and it's mounting frame.....

IMG-7581.jpg  IMG-7582.jpg

• Like 6

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks wonderful and great use of the materials you have, definitely much better than the kit's parts.

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris...pleased you think it looks better than the kit parts :)

Ron

• Like 1