1/12 BT44B 1975

2 hours ago, silver911 said:

Many thanks for kind words Chris :)

What does the 'IP' refer to?

Ron

Sorry, Instrument Panel,  I should of said dash really, it's because I am mainly an Aircraft modeller, that's my excuse 😉 

Chris

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Sorry, Instrument Panel,  I should of said dash really, it's because I am mainly an Aircraft modeller, that's my excuse 😉 

Chris

👍🤣

No worries...a mate of mine always refers to it as a 'Binacle'...not sure why...as it has nothing to do with any form of dash that I know of 🤔

Ron

• Like 1

Binnacle - stand alone pedestal with instruments on a ship/yacht/power boat.

Sorry, my inner sailor came out there!

I am very impressed with how clean your tiny assemblies are Ron, no matter how hard I try there is always some evidence of adhesive or overpaint on my models. Great Optivisor or NinjaVision?

Dave

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coors54 said:

Binnacle - stand alone pedestal with instruments on a ship/yacht/power boat.

Sorry, my inner sailor came out there!

I am very impressed with how clean your tiny assemblies are Ron, no matter how hard I try there is always some evidence of adhesive or overpaint on my models. Great Optivisor or NinjaVision?

Dave

It would seem the key is in the spelling then Dave.

One 'N' and it's a sea creature...two and it's as you describe.

Ahoy an all that 🤣

An optivisor over close up glasses mate...and I still can't see clearly 🤬

Ron

• Like 1

Continuing on with my anal moments.

Next up for modifying...the medical air tank...with the supplied kit part first...

AAA.jpg

Having removed the simplistic valve (which is on the wrong side according to my  refs)...a case of fabricating a more accurate version...and adding the missing one to the other end...

BBB.jpg  CCC.jpg DDD.jpg  

You can see that the moulded bands and mounting pins have been removed...with new mounts scratched and ready for metal straps to be added after painting etc.

Another kit part that I didn't like...too small...and poorly defined...a connector plate that sits next to the above MA tank...

EEE.jpg

A lot more kit parts still remain to be modified/replaced...but...this all needs to be done before any painting begins.

to be continued............

• Like 10

"

Next up for modifying...the medical air tank...with the supplied kit part first..."

Beautiful craftsmanship, as usual Ron 👍.

Said differently: how transform crap lead in gold ? 😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

"

Next up for modifying...the medical air tank...with the supplied kit part first..."

Beautiful craftsmanship, as usual Ron 👍.

Said differently: how transform crap lead in gold ? 😉

Thanks mate...although nearer to brass than gold 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Lovely work as usual Ron mate 👏

Keep up the good work :) 

Ian :) 

Many thanks Ian :)

As said...this build is a painfully slow process due to not having a separate chassis like the 312T...so every little detail/modification has to be test fitted to the main body...which means constant assembly and disassembly of everything 🤬

Another issue has been the moulding...this kit...classed as a re-release...is not a new tooling...so suffers a lot from the aging of the moulds...with the decals also giving me concern for the future...as the few small ones used so far...being incredibly difficult to get off the backing!

Obviously...had I not chosen to push the detail level so far...things would be moving much  faster...but then that wouldn't be me 😉

Ron

• Like 1

With a lot of loose bits accumulating on the bench...I was looking to get some of them into sub assemblies...with the front bulkhead/servos and radiators being a prime example.

Whilst the kit provides the basic parts...as always...there is considerable room for improvement.

These are the main components in the kit.....

Y1.jpg

One area that had me worried was the tiny locating pins for the plate that goes between the rads...each about the size of a pin!.....

Y2.jpg

Some strengthening was definitely needed...so my solution was a couple of 1.5 mm fillets to increase the contact areas...plus a 0.6 mm nickel silver brace along the top and bottom to improve the rigidity of the weak centre area.....

Y3.jpg

A further aid to creating a stronger assembly...was to replace the branch pipe with metal.....

Y4.jpg

Then it was a case of adding some of the missing details.

First up...on the 1:1...the top of the rads has a plate with holes...through which you can see the fins.

I scored the top of the kit part with a scalpel to represent the fins...then added some ali plate to imitate the holed plate.....

Y6.jpg

Next a shot of some of the other bits I am using to add some more detail.....

Y5.jpg

I also wanted to refine the servos with fittings and lines which...strangely enough...Tamiya hint at with stubs for hoses/lines...but no instructions to do so...weird !

In the pic you can see some spare PE cap tops I added...which I later removed after having found a better ref pic...with the fittings and silver wire to be added below them.....

Y8.jpg

Now I just have to implement all the modifications and details.

Edited by silver911
  • Like 5

Rather than bore you with in progress pics of every stage of the above...here are the pics of what I came up with...needless to say...there were some moments of stress along the way but...I am pleased with the end result.....

IMG-7524.jpg

IMG-7525.jpg  IMG-7526.jpg

IMG-7528.jpg

IMG-7529.jpg

IMG-7530.jpg

IMG-7531.jpg

Next in line is to finalise the front suspension.

• Like 11

17 hours ago, Pouln said:

Very nicely executed, Ron. Lovely details and well thought through solutions.

Thanks Poul...much appreciated :)

Having to adopt a very different approach to the 312T is somewhat confusing...and a lot more time consuming...with little progress to show for the effort...although...once I can get the main body painted the assembly will be much quicker.

Ron

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

There is no secret Ron! Your result attest this...

Dan.

Many thanks Dan :)

19 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The airpark and derails look fantastic . The dub assembly with the rads looks phenomenal,  great work. 

Chris

Much appreciated Chris 👍

Ron

Another area that needs dealing with before any start can be made on the main body...the roll bar.

Again...the kit parts are very basic when compared to the 1:1.....

ABC1.jpg

The real deal.....

Roll-Bar-Close-up-mini.jpg

In keeping with both wanting to replace as much as I can with metal...and also in line with what I did with the 312T...it was a natural progression to make it from metal again.

What was obvious was the complexity when compared with the Ferrari...and as you can see from my ref pic...a whole lot more details to be made and added.

First step was to create a bending jig for the main hoop using the kit part as a basic template.....then I inserted some posts to guide me in the bending.....

ABC2.jpg

I used a heat gun to aid in the bending...and did it very slowly a couple of millimeters at a time...each time just heating a small area...and managed to get this...(the tape across the struts is to hold it in place for cutting to length).....

ABC3.jpg

The rear support required no bending...just some angles to shape to meet the centre post...then it was a case of fabricating the finer details...one of which are nuts and bolts to hold it together as per the 1:1.....

ABC4.jpg

ABC5.jpg

Very much in it's 'raw' state at the moment...with a lot of refining (such as the welds which look awful in the close up!) and clean up still to be done...but you get the general idea.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Amazing attention to detail as usual Ron mate, this is starting to take shape nicely :) 

Ian :) 

Thanks Ian...as said...still a lot to do...but hopefully will be worth it 🤔

Ron

• Like 1

Continuing on with the 'roll bar'...first...a word of warning for any that may want to go this route (replacing it with metal)...the kit parts are all but useless as an accurate template! 🤬

Not so much the front hoop...but the rear section is fraught with problems when following the kit parts as a guide...suffice it to say...I scrapped my first attempt...and started again from scratch 😱

With the front bar/hoop...the main areas you need to consider are...height/width and clearances to the upper body...cockpit shroud and air box...with the height of the crossbar and headrest being yet another trap that is easy to fall into and get wrong.

When it comes to the rear hoop...the most important dimensions to get right are...the width...angle to meet the front arch...clearance of the oil tank...and finally...that it does not interfere with the airbox to body fitment.

What you see in the pics are the result of four days of work...with each small adjustment seeming to create yet another problem ☹️

It's especially frustrating when you see the tiny bit of the rear section that will be visible on the finished car!

I will let the pictures tell their own story.....

IMG-7554.jpgIMG-7545.jpgIMG-7540.jpgIMG-7541.jpgIMG-7542.jpgIMG-7546.jpgIMG-7547.jpgIMG-7549.jpgIMG-7553.jpgIMG-7552.jpgIMG-7551.jpg

In theory...all that remains to do are...the cross bar mounts...and mounts to the front and rear top mounting points...then bolt it all together for a final check before moving on to polishing etc. ...and adding the headrest padding.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Great job with the roll bars Ron !

You are inspiring me to get out the 312t4 which is languishing in body paint and decalling.....

Cheers

Gradually coming to fruition mate...and appreciate comment :)

Would love to see the 312T4.....

Ron

2 hours ago, Pouln said:

Well Ron, it may have taken days but this roll bar does look really good. 👍

Many thanks Poul :)

Another 2 - 3 days should see it done :yahoo:

When I decided to use metals for it...what appeared to be quite a straight forward task...quickly became a serious challenge of will power.

What I didn't take into account...was the number of parts involved...the kit consisting of just two parts...whereas...the metal version contains nineteen pieces...all scratched 😱🤬

But that is the nature of this hobby I guess.

Ron

• Like 1