1/12 BT44B 1975

43 minutes ago, Coors54 said:

Impressive haul of metalwork there Ron, where did you get the tiny u/j's from may I ask? I could do with some of those.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I came across the UJ's purely by chance...and tiny doesn't truly desribe them...they are designed for micro radio control cars ( right down to 1/87th scale !!! )...not by any means cheap...but worth it IMHO

Here are a few links to different types.....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001683629956.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000013.9.48c6708fTCRvTl&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.169870.0&scm_id=1007.13339.169870.0&scm-url=1007.13339.169870.0&pvid=7aa8d543-f852-4105-9762-cb483816e4d8&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller,scm-url:1007.13339.169870.0,pvid:7aa8d543-f852-4105-9762-cb483816e4d8,tpp_buckets:668%232846%238110%231995&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000017124588080%22%2C%22sceneId%22%3A%223339%22%7D&pdp_pi=-1%3B26.77%3B-1%3B-1%40salePrice%3BGBP%3Brecommend-recommend

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001055973483.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.0.0.678a383fL3RC4H&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.169870.0&scm_id=1007.13339.169870.0&scm-url=1007.13339.169870.0&pvid=e5f3c283-ab06-40a4-8abf-910fc02684b2&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller,scm-url:1007.13339.169870.0,pvid:e5f3c283-ab06-40a4-8abf-910fc02684b2,tpp_buckets:668%232846%238110%231995&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2210000013897278701%22%2C%22sceneId%22%3A%223339%22%7D&pdp_pi=-1%3B21.94%3B-1%3B-1%40salePrice%3BGBP%3Brecommend-recommend

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002525214582.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000013.1.3ae4386dQSdh38&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.169870.0&scm_id=1007.13339.169870.0&scm-url=1007.13339.169870.0&pvid=a789bd2a-d83f-486d-85c1-eabbbe468879&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller,scm-url:1007.13339.169870.0,pvid:a789bd2a-d83f-486d-85c1-eabbbe468879,tpp_buckets:668%232846%238110%231995&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000020996619694%22%2C%22sceneId%22%3A%223339%22%7D&pdp_pi=-1%3B8.12%3B-1%3B-1%40salePrice%3BGBP%3Brecommend-recommend

I got them in a shade over two weeks...and the seller was very helpful and polite.

Just be warned...there is so much stuff available on that site...a lottery win would help :)

Ron

• Like 2

Hi Ron,

Wow! What a great update.  This looks like it’s sure to be an addictive build log (as yours always are!).  

I am going to look up those joints too.  I recognize the Prime Miniatures parts, but not familiar with the eye bolt manufacturer - I’ll look them up too.  

Looking forward to your next update

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 6:15 AM, Stickframe said:

Hi Ron,

Wow! What a great update.  This looks like it’s sure to be an addictive build log (as yours always are!).  

I am going to look up those joints too.  I recognize the Prime Miniatures parts, but not familiar with the eye bolt manufacturer - I’ll look them up too.  

Looking forward to your next update

Cheers

Nick 

Cheers for comment Nick :)

Of late...I have been investigating other arenas for bits and pieces...RC cars/boats/planes and helicopters !

There is a surprising amount available in sizes that work with 1/12.

With China...ordering can be a little hit and miss at times...and delivery obviously takes a bit longer...to be fair though...the communication from the seller was first class...as was the supplied tracking...with postage either minimal or free 👍

Along with Prime Miniatures and Hiroboy over here...another useful resource is Spotmodel (Spain)...but their postage is high...with delivery times almost the same as China !!!

Found these few sites useful of late...and good prices to boot...

https://www.maritime-models.co.uk/acatalog/Eyebolt.html

https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/radio-active-eyebolt-m2-ball-3-8mm-thread-length-14mm-pk4-rma66505-82673?gclid=CjwKCAiAz--OBhBIEiwAG1rIOr3xvjF9QnSy3Z14O-MH5Vctj4e9FcuyG4IAz9jI0W0vk-XEzipnChoCcuIQAvD_BwE

https://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/ball-head-m2-5-x-4-5-2.html

https://www.scotiarc.co.uk/product/m2-ball-joint-set-oshm2070/

Good old Ebay is still worth a look...however...prices have risen recently...but that's the same the world over now.

Updates will be slow whilst saving up for more materials...so check back from time to time mate 😉

Ron

Edited by silver911
  • Like 1

Well now you're just taunting us - lol -

Yes, I'm looking forward to all of this!  Am curious, for parts like control arms, will you retrofit kit parts with hardware or be making/fabricating new versions?  In either case, I will be watching!  

Nick 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stickframe said:

Well now you're just taunting us - lol -

Yes, I'm looking forward to all of this!  Am curious, for parts like control arms, will you retrofit kit parts with hardware or be making/fabricating new versions?  In either case, I will be watching!  

Nick 

My intention is to replace as many parts as I can with metals...or...as you mention...with a combination of kit plastic combined with metals.

The most obvious challenge in doing so...will be to maintain the 'geometry and stance' of both the original 1:1 as well as the kit itself.

One point of note regarding the build sequence compared to the 312T...this one will require the bodywork to be finished from a very early stage...which will present some problems when it comes to handling throughout the build stages.

Fortunately...I learned a lot from the Ferrari build...and at least I won't be fighting with 40+ year old plastic.

Cheers for looking in mate :)

Ron

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Looking forward to you starting this one Ron, as I will be able to relate to this one completely seeing as I've got one in my stash :) 

Ian :) 

Me too mate...itching to get going now :)

Does yours have the extended PE fret instead of the metal funnels?

Ron

Last bits arrived this morning.....

IMG-7364.jpgIMG-7366.jpg

With these now in place...I can begin the initial prep for the first stage of the build.

Unlike the 312T...and because of what I am aiming to achieve with this build...a lot more pre-assembly will be required than on the Ferrari.

Because of this...I will have to considerably alter the build sequence from what the instructions dictate...should make for an interesting sequence 😱

Ron

to be continued............

• Like 1

Glad I made it before tge start after your previous build.  This looks to be another great project and a nice surprise from the new owner, they should be justifiably pleased with your creation.

I am no expert on well anything, I'm afraid but can offer encouragement and compliments.

Hood luck with this epic build.

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Glad I made it before tge start after your previous build.  This looks to be another great project and a nice surprise from the new owner, they should be justifiably pleased with your creation.

I am no expert on well anything, I'm afraid but can offer encouragement and compliments.

Hood luck with this epic build.

Chris

Hi Chris...yep...in at the very beginning mate :)

A very nice surprise indeed...and yes...he is very pleased with the 312T.

None of us can truly be classed as 'experts' Chris...just members of a crazy tribe...with a passion for plastic bashing 🤣

Thanks for tagging along...and for taking the time to comment...always appreciated...and means a lot 👍

Ron

• Like 1

On 25/02/2022 at 10:13, silver911 said:

Does yours have the extended PE fret instead of the metal funnels?

Ron

To be honest Ron, I don't know. It's one of the 're released ones from last year and it has the pe included on the box art but I haven't opened it yet so I don't know

Ian 

• Like 1

With all this hardware and your p[lans to exchange plastic parts as much as possible with metal parts, I’m sure you are going to surprise us with many not so obvious solutions for problems the average modeller does not even know they exist. I think we are in for a fantastic ride. 

I would like to sit in the front seat (at least in the back seat if it is already taken) with you.😉

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Redstaff said:

To be honest Ron, I don't know. It's one of the 're released ones from last year and it has the pe included on the box art but I haven't opened it yet so I don't know

Ian 

Ah...in that case it's exactly the same as mine...it was the re-release from ten years ago that had the extended PE fret.

Thanks for reply Ian :)

Ron

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pouln said:

With all this hardware and your p[lans to exchange plastic parts as much as possible with metal parts, I’m sure you are going to surprise us with many not so obvious solutions for problems the average modeller does not even know they exist. I think we are in for a fantastic ride. 

I would like to sit in the front seat (at least in the back seat if it is already taken) with you.😉

Hi Poul...I have reserved the 'shotgun' seat for you mate...may be a bumpy ride tho 😱

It has all come about from what I learned with the 312T build...in as much as...a lot of the 40+ years old plastic had to be reinforced with metal...which taught me a lot...and planted the seed of an idea for doing all this with the BT44b.

This car has the advantage of being less complicated than the Ferrari in it's construction...for instance...the engine bay is open...no radiator/oil tank frames or bodywork enclosing the DFV...and a much less complex exhaust layout.

In contemplating this approach...two problems had to be accounted for...first...maintaining the correct geometry...second...the Brabham has a lot of 'blackened' metal...whether powder coated or anodised...not easy to replicate with aluminium...although 'abraiding' the surface...and using metal etches will help the paint/coating to adhere better...you can never be certain it (the paint) won't rub off...even so...a little 'wear and tear' will be needed...so again...a balance is required in the finishes.

One thing is for sure...if I can pull this off...it should make for an interesting learning experience...with the safeguard being...I don't have to alter or destroy the kit parts...just use them as templates...which means I have a 'failsafe' of sorts.

Glad to have you along mate :)

Ron

• Like 1

So...it's finally time to get this build started and...as previously mentioned...this will be a very different approach to the 312T build.

Primary difference is the way this kit goes together when compared to the Ferrari...in as much as...the bodywork will have to be finished at a very early stage...which means a lot more pre-assembly of stages...to avoid issues when mating sub assemblies to the main body.

One issue I have already come across is the amount of injector pin marks...and a lot of edge 'flash' on pieces...certainly more than on the 312T...so a lot more clean up and test fitting is required to ensure a good fit.

Another point to note is the clearance from the edges of holes on some parts!...which becomes critical to what I want to do with kit as a whole in replacing a lot of plastic with metals.

One part in particular is the front bulkhead...where the lower suspension arms connect...as you can see...there is dangerously little plastic to support a metal connection.....

IMG-7350.jpg

The obvious answer was to 'sleeve' them with a tiny piece of ali tube and CA.....

IMG-7372.jpg

You can clearly see the pin marks I mentioned.

For some parts it's just a matter of drilling out the hinted at holes...as in the bulkhead above...and the suspension frames below.....

IMG-7369.jpg

These also have very little plastic around the moulded holes...so they will be 'sleeved' as well.....

IMG-7370.jpg

The rear bulkhead is another part where this becomes an issue...but I am undecided quite how to rectify the problem as yet.....

IMG-7371.jpg

I will change the two pairs of fittings at the top for metal or resin ones in due course.

As you can clearly see...all of the moulded holes and slots are not up to Tamiya's usual high standard...and will require some attention...with points of obvious weakness clearly apparent.

Ron

Edited by silver911
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Hi Ron,

Good to see you have started.

I'm sitting here taking notes for when I get round to mine!!

Or should I be modelling not staring at the computer?

Malc.

You should definitely be 'modelling' mate :)

Feel free to take notes Malc...but also to suggest further improvements...please 😉

Ron

This small update should...hopefully...illustrate my intention to replace kit plastic with metals whenever it is viable.

In the first pic...the kit parts above...with the metal fabricated parts below.

I used a selection of 'slide fit' ali tubes...an ali nut...and one of the tiny UJ's.....

IMG-7373.jpg

The second pic shows the parts just pushed together to check the fit and dimensions...and shows which kit parts are used...you can see I have also sleeved the pinion gear with metal for added strength.....

IMG-7374.jpg

Next job is to clean up and detail the steering wheel and 'dashboard'.

• Like 9

Wow Ron!  You are taking this to the next level indeed!  That tiny u-joint looks great - I did as you suggested, and looked them up.  I found some that I could actually get in a timely manner (they were sold in bulk of 10, and were relatively inexpensive), but they are a bit too big for my FJ project (1/24), but the next project will be a 1/24 6x6 or 4x4 Peterbilt, and I'm looking forward to trying them out. How do the versions you are using attach to the shafts?  The parts I found come preassembled and to attach them to the shaft, you need to install 2 tiny allen head lock pins - not looking forward to that.   I am though looking forward to your next update!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1

That u/j looks the dog's. Unless you're keen to have operating steering could you lose the awful cog affair and scratch a more proto typical tubular rack? I did a similar thing with my BMW CSL -

spacer.png

Just a thought, I plan on doing this with my next F1 builds.

Dave

• Like 3

On 3/6/2022 at 7:45 PM, Stickframe said:

Wow Ron!  You are taking this to the next level indeed!  That tiny u-joint looks great - I did as you suggested, and looked them up.  I found some that I could actually get in a timely manner (they were sold in bulk of 10, and were relatively inexpensive), but they are a bit too big for my FJ project (1/24), but the next project will be a 1/24 6x6 or 4x4 Peterbilt, and I'm looking forward to trying them out. How do the versions you are using attach to the shafts?  The parts I found come preassembled and to attach them to the shaft, you need to install 2 tiny allen head lock pins - not looking forward to that.   I am though looking forward to your next update!

Cheers

Nick 

Hi Nick...my aim is to take it beyond the 312T if possible...and those UJ's seemed a logical starting point...an absolute bitch to assemble tho! 😱🤬

There were many sizes available...however...all the pre-assembled ones were too big for 1/12...and the ones I got are a perfect match for the kit sizes of shafts etc.

They have a 1mm hole drilled in the ends...so the shafts were a slidefit of 1mm for the UJ...sleeved with 1.58mm for the outer tube (shaft).

Thanks for comment as always mate :)

Ron

Edited by silver911

On 3/6/2022 at 7:59 PM, Vesa Jussila said:

Really nice small details. I know these look really good in completed model.

Hi V...pleased you like the modified small details :)

Thanks for taking time to comment...much appreciated.

Ron

Edited by silver911