1/12 BT44B 1975

With the 312T all but finished and ready for the buyer to take possession of it...time to think about my next project!

This was gifted to me as an added bonus and thank you from the 312T's new owner...and is another of my favourite cars from that era (1975).

This is the latest re-release of the 1/12 Tamiya Brabham BT44b...in which they have chosen to cut down on the PE...but included metal air funnels...personally...I would rather have had the extended PE.

The obligatory box shot.....

IMG-7348.jpg

Much like the 312T...there are a lot of missing details...and with no after-market PE or detail up sets available...these will have to be scratched.

I have begun to put together a 'build' diary...and also started a reference library...although there are even fewer detail shots of this than the Ferrari 😱🤬

With almost all my stocks of fixtures and fittings used up on the 312T...I will have to buy things as funds become available...so it will take a while to get going.

Having learned a lot from the Ferrari...I want to try and take this build a lot further with replacing kit parts with metal etc.

At least I won't be fighting with 40 year old plastic!

Ron

to be continued............

• Like 10

I still have an unmade one that I bought probably twenty years ago, which I intended to make a better job of than this one, which I built when it first came out about forty-five years ago. I still have this original version, photographed recently after being exhumed from a box where it’s been since my last house move ten years ago. Definitely past its best, but holds fond memories of my teenage modelling years.

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

Edited by Camwader
  • Like 6

Another Ron masterclass to look forward to. I have a couple of these in various stages of incompletion bought as spares sources to use as a basis for a scratch BT45 but I may have enough to do a proper BT44B.

Have you seen the book by Frans van de Camp Brabham in practice 1973-1979? ISBN 978-9082762457

I picked it up off a well known book site quite cheaply, it' s all black and white shots taken at European Grand Prix but he was a regular in the pits so quite a lot of the cars in bits. I bought it for the BT45 but looking at the earlier years there's plenty on the BT44 & 44B.

Dave

PS Frans also has a website with some archive photo's like this https://camp-archives.com/archives/photo/045/

Edited by Coors54
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, rjfk2002 said:

Oh boy, really excited to see this one come together Ron! Another masterpiece in the making 

Thanks Rich :)

21 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Excellent Ron :) 

I've got one of those as well, look forward to the build :) 

Ian 

Cheers Ian...is this the 1/12 you were thinking about doing next?

16 hours ago, Camwader said:

I still have an unmade one that I bought probably twenty years ago, which I intended to make a better job of than this one, which I built when it first came out about forty-five years ago. I still have this original version, photographed recently after being exhumed from a box where it’s been since my last house move ten years ago. Definitely past it’s best, but holds fond memories of my teenage modelling years.

A new set of decals and a bit of glue is all you need mate.

11 hours ago, Coors54 said:

Another Ron masterclass to look forward to. I have a couple of these in various stages of incompletion bought as spares sources to use as a basis for a scratch BT45 but I may have enough to do a proper BT44B.

Have you seen the book by Frans van de Camp Brabham in practice 1973-1979? ISBN 978-9082762457

I picked it up off a well known book site quite cheaply, it' s all black and white shots taken at European Grand Prix but he was a regular in the pits so quite a lot of the cars in bits. I bought it for the BT45 but looking at the earlier years there's plenty on the BT44 & 44B.

Dave

PS Frans also has a website with some archive photo's like this https://camp-archives.com/archives/photo/045/

Hi Dave...so I know where to come for spares then 😏

Thanks for the link to that book...unfortunately...only one I could find would cost more than all the materials I need for the build...so above my pay grade mate.

His website was interesting though.

As said...the BT44b is proving to be harder to find detailed views than the 312T...although Malc2 kindly sent me this link (very useful).....https://oneformulagordonmurray.com/en/

So far...in doing research for the build...I have been focussing on which kit parts can be relaced with metals...however...this has high lighted a large amount of missing details as with the 312T...and created a growing list of things I need 😱

Ron

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silver911 said:

Cheers Ian...is this the 1/12 you were thinking about doing next?

Hi Ron

I was thinking of going with the Tyrell F1 first as an easyish kit to have a practice on before I had a go at this or the FW14b or the MP4/6, but not 100% sure yet

Still got the Lotus 97t waiting for decals and a couple of cars in the matchbox GB to finish first

Still undecided, I usually make a plan then start on whatever takes my fancy when the time comes :) 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 1:52 PM, Redstaff said:

Hi Ron

I was thinking of going with the Tyrell F1 first as an easyish kit to have a practice on before I had a go at this or the FW14b or the MP4/6, but not 100% sure yet

Still got the Lotus 97t waiting for decals and a couple of cars in the matchbox GB to finish first

Still undecided, I usually make a plan then start on whatever takes my fancy when the time comes :) 

That's a serious stash you have there mate...that MP4/6 is a much sort after beast these days...and with the detail up sets...goes even further than the FW14B.

The Tyrell is another kit that screams out for extra detailing...although just the added PE makes a nice difference.

I really fancied the six wheeler for a while...but once Tamiya announced the BT44b...decision made :)

Look forward to your choice.

Ron

Edited by silver911

4 minutes ago, silver911 said:

The Tyrell is another kit that screams out for extra detailing...although just the added PE makes a nice difference.

Hi Ron

I've got the original Tyrell without the PE from the 70s/80s, got it off Ebay for about £60 last year, I know you can get aftermarket PE, but it seems as rare as hens teeth

I've got all the goodies for the FW14b but nothing for the MP4/6 as yet except for tobacco decals, but will try and gather as I go along and money permits.

I've got the 6 wheeler in 1/20 as it needs to be made and put alongside the other 1/20 stuff, but I was never a huge fan of it in the day.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Hi Ron

I've got the original Tyrell without the PE from the 70s/80s, got it off Ebay for about £60 last year, I know you can get aftermarket PE, but it seems as rare as hens teeth

I've got all the goodies for the FW14b but nothing for the MP4/6 as yet except for tobacco decals, but will try and gather as I go along and money permits.

I've got the 6 wheeler in 1/20 as it needs to be made and put alongside the other 1/20 stuff, but I was never a huge fan of it in the day.

The Tyrell is a nice...if basic kit.

TBH...when I looked into the FW14b detail sets...and the amount of cutting and modifying required...I decided no thanks and sold my kit.

Where the MP4/6 is concerned...nobody does it better than this guy.....https://www.youtube.com/c/NIGHTROTROOM

Many thanks for that link...whilst a refurb (2009)...it has some excellent reference shots for smaller details.

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Good to see this one being built, its not a common choice.

Be careful with the photos on the BT42/44 link, its a BT42 dressed up with BT44 bodywork, you can tell by the wishbones which are round chromed tube, where as the real BT44 had black rectangular section tube for the same part. There are many other detail differences.

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc2 said:

Good to see this one being built, its not a common choice.

Be careful with the photos on the BT42/44 link, its a BT42 dressed up with BT44 bodywork, you can tell by the wishbones which are round chromed tube, where as the real BT44 had black rectangular section tube for the same part. There are many other detail differences.

Malc.

Thanks for heads up Malc 👍

After the issues with the 312T and ref pics...this time I am taking care to cross reference every pic with known ones of the BT44b

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

That’s a nice gesture from the buyer of your Ferrari. Will be a leaaning experience for us all.

Btw, is there anybody who have thoughts about the Eidai kit of the Lotus 72 F1 (Fittipaldi and Peterson) in 1:8 scale? 

There is one for sale and would like to know if it is a good kit.

• Like 1

I am really waiting progress of this project. Your previous projects have been really inspiring. It's really true about reference pictures that you need to be careful. Race cars were modified from race to race even at active use. Then when those were moved to 2nd line duty only thing was to keep them moving and that's why we see these pizza's today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pouln said:

That’s a nice gesture from the buyer of your Ferrari. Will be a leaaning experience for us all.

Btw, is there anybody who have thoughts about the Eidai kit of the Lotus 72 F1 (Fittipaldi and Peterson) in 1:8 scale? 

There is one for sale and would like to know if it is a good kit.

Yes indeed...a very nice gesture...and a welcome surprise :)

Regards the 1/8 Lotus 72...I examined one about ten years ago...very simplistic in terms of detail...although at1/8...certainly a good basis for extra detailing.

Obviously...there is also the Pocher 72 to consider...so I guess your choice would be driven by price in that regard.

Another point to consider...you would almost certainly require new decals for the Entex/Edai...and I have never come across any in that scale personally...whereas the Pocher is pre-painted with the markings.

Regards

Ron

17 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

I am really waiting progress of this project. Your previous projects have been really inspiring. It's really true about reference pictures that you need to be careful. Race cars were modified from race to race even at active use. Then when those were moved to 2nd line duty only thing was to keep them moving and that's why we see these pizza's today.

Hi mate...progress will be slow initially whilst saving to re-stock the materials needed (I used up virtually all my stocks on the 312T) 🤬

I am really pleased my work is 'inspiring' to others...a huge compliment.

Totally agree on how careful you need to be when collecting references...fortunately...I gained a lot of experience in that regard from the Ferrari build...so this time around I am being much more cautious.

Even Gordan Murray's two examples...in his personal museum...exhibit marked differences between the two cars!

I have some ref pics that illustrate the car modifications between different races...even between the two drivers in the same race...so I am constantly cross referencing pictures to try and avoid the pitfalls 😱

Thanks for comment.

Ron

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silver911 said:

Yes indeed...a very nice gesture...and a welcome surprise :)

Regards the 1/8 Lotus 72...I examined one about ten years ago...very simplistic in terms of detail...although at1/8...certainly a good basis for extra detailing.

Obviously...there is also the Pocher 72 to consider...so I guess your choice would be driven by price in that regard.

Another point to consider...you would almost certainly require new decals for the Entex/Edai...and I have never come across any in that scale personally...whereas the Pocher is pre-painted with the markings.

Regards

Ron

Thanks, Ron. I guess I will not go for the eidai kit. Asked him price he was looking at. Way too much compared to the Pocher ‘72.

Seriously thinking about the Pocher.

2 hours ago, Pouln said:

Thanks, Ron. I guess I will not go for the eidai kit. Asked him price he was looking at. Way too much compared to the Pocher ‘72.

Seriously thinking about the Pocher.

I am surprised you are looking at an F1...would have thought the 300SL was more your bag Poul.

For me personally...having experienced first hand the trials of modern Pocher's...and after reading many tales of woe in other threads here...I would be very wary of their products now.

Another purely personal view but...I honestly don't think F1 cars work above 1/12...they lose their sleekness and charm...become 'brutish' lumps so to speak.

Will be very interested  to see it if you get the Pocher.

Ron

19 hours ago, silver911 said:

I am surprised you are looking at an F1...would have thought the 300SL was more your bag Poul.

For me personally...having experienced first hand the trials of modern Pocher's...and after reading many tales of woe in other threads here...I would be very wary of their products now.

Another purely personal view but...I honestly don't think F1 cars work above 1/12...they lose their sleekness and charm...become 'brutish' lumps so to speak.

Will be very interested  to see it if you get the Pocher.

Ron

Hmm, the 300SL, but did Pocher ever bring this to market? There was talk of it many years ago. 

I know Eaglemoss/deagostini had it, but their subscription method makes it too expensive (at least I find it too expensive).

Haven’t decided yet on the Lotus. Would like to see a build report before doing that.

5 minutes ago, Pouln said:

Hmm, the 300SL, but did Pocher ever bring this to market? There was talk of it many years ago. 

I know Eaglemoss/deagostini had it, but their subscription method makes it too expensive (at least I find it too expensive).

Haven’t decided yet on the Lotus. Would like to see a build report before doing that.

I get emails from time to time about progress of 300SL...and option to pre-order...will forward it to you when I get the next one Poul.

Don't hold your breath for a build report on the Pocher 72D...3 people I know cancelled their pre-orders due to closer examination of released promo pics!

One of them had asked me for a price to build it...which I turned down for various reasons...one of which was my previously mentioned scale issue.

R

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst following my usual approach to a build...editing the kit instructions...writing copious notes...and creating a reference library...I have managed to start replenishing my stocks of materials.....

IMG-7355.jpgIMG-7356.jpgIMG-7357.jpgIMG-7358.jpg

In the second picture above...the bag with the large orange/gold coloured nuts (which I won't be using) are a set of RC wheel hubs which...hopefully...I can use to replace the kit plastic parts.

I also managed to find some 'castle' nuts to go with them to replace the kit supplied generic nuts...which means I will then be able to scratch and use the correct retaining clips for them.

Although I haven't made a start on the kit itself as such...one prominent detail that is missing from the kit are the front air duct hoses to the disc brakes...which nobody else seems to have tried to replicate.

As usual...there are no after-market options available...so I have been playing with some self made ideas using clear heat shrink and wire...which is then coloured with an oil paint wash that is injected into the heat shrink after heating.

Still not a 100% happy with the result...but a promising outcome.

Also in the pic is the tool I have made for the weld beads...an idea taken from the tank modelling arena.

At the bottom of the picture are a set of brass UJ's...absolutely incredible engineering at this size...which will replace the kit UJ on the steering column...and the two on the gearshift linkage to the gearbox.....

IMG-7359.jpg

Now it just remains to wait for some funds to become available for the remaining materials I need (a lot!)...then I can begin the build in ernest :)

Ron

to be continued............

Edited by silver911
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Can't wait to see what you do with this!

Brake ducts method sound promising.

I have thought of using used the same method but the wire coil wrapped with a strip of model tissue coated in PVA then painted.

M.

I am itching to get started myself mate...unfortunately...life revolves around money more and more these days ☹️

Although the heat shrink becomes less pliable once shrunk...in my previous experiences...it will still bend to a greater degree than paper that has been coated in PVA.

I have been doing some research into heat shrinks...and there are some that retain their softness when shrunk...just a case of finding some in clear...and the right size.

One thing I have come to realise with this kit...the bodywork will have to be finished at a very early stage compared to the 312T 😱🤬

Appreciate the comment Malc...and especially the off-line advice and help 👍

Ron