PBY-5A eyeball nose turret

72modeler

Found this earlier today and had to share it; I don't think I've seen any better photos of the eyeball nose turret fitted to late Production PBY-5A's before. I hope you enjoy them and that they are useful in detailing that 1/48 Monogram/Revell or 1/72 Revell or Academy kit. This one;s for you, @Admiral Puff, @tonyot, @LDSModeller, @Navy Bird, and @71chally

Mike

http://svsm.org/gallery/pby5_nose_turret/P1510967

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Found this earlier today and had to share it; I don't think I've seen any better photos of the eyeball nose turret fitted to late Production PBY-5A's before. I hope you enjoy them and that they are useful in detailing that 1/48 Monogram/Revell

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that link - cool - I have (at a later date) the 1/48 Monogram

PBY5 to build as an RNZAF Catalina which had the Eyeball Turret.

Of course I have underway a Catalina build as a 1950's RNZAF Target Tug.

One of my choices is NZ4055 as seen in a Photo from my Dads Collection

at Lauthala bay Fiji

09f4f721-df75-4520-8691-cd1846f15c9e.jpg

Thanks/regards

Alan

• Like 3

Some information from Carl Vincent ( @Carl V )

I really appreciated the fabulous detail shots of the PBY-5A eyeball turret and the additional RNZAF information, I thought that some equivalent information regarding the RCAF’s Canso A’s might be of interest.

The momentum behind this can be undoubtedly laid to EAC’s 162 (BR) Squadron which, detached from Reykjavík and operating from Wick in June 1944, sank five U-boats having three Canso A’s shot down in the process. These losses were laid down, at least in part, to the pitiful forward armament available for flak suppression. As a result, efforts were made to enhance this.

The first was the provision of two additional guns in the upper portion of the nose hatch, the second the addition of the eyeball turret and, next, the provision for a total of four nose guns. All of these modifications, at least as far as 162 (BR) is concerned, was done on site in Reykjavík. "

Photo 1, Canso A 9810 with the provision for two nose guns, not fitted here.

Photo 2, Canso A 11090 with the eyeball turret and provision for four guns.

Photo 3, Canso A 11066 with the turret and all four guns fitted.

Carl

51832227681_2fbb742ba0_b.jpg

51832343768_ce22009ba9_b.jpg

51832961000_fe382df4fd_b.jpg

Chris, for Carl

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ossington said:

A Catalina target tug? Please let it have Black & yellow stripes! Got a photo?

Ah no, unfortunately no black/yellow stripes, that would have been a sight to

behold :D

The one or two Catalina's used were stock standard RNZAF finish of the time, being

Medium Sea Grey (or New Zealand Equivalent)/White as in the photo I posted above or

this photo from my Dads Collection (NZ4046 on the Hard at Hobby)

03db1455-f843-4f71-86ee-189965de630e.jpg

Interestingly NZ4046 had an Eyeball turret either before or after the photo above (from RNZAF Museum)

MUS940677a.t5f767212.m800.xlU4oqWW7.jpg

(RNZAF Official - Air Force Museum of New Zealand - Used with Permissions)

The RNZAF Catalina Target Tugs were fitted with a winch  immediately forward of the ventral gun port/hatch which

allowed the Drogue/Pennant to be trailed behind the aircraft as in this photo from the RNZAF Museum below.

LbG139-51.t5efe8132.m600.xRoTJauDn.jpg

The only RNZAF Aircraft to wear the Yellow/Black stripes (that I'm aware of, circa 1950's) were

the 42 Squadron Avengers (another one of my Target Tug Builds). One had an all

over Black/Yellow stripe scheme

Some what OT, but here she is in all here glory NZ4203 in her Bumble Bee Colours

at an open day RNZAF Station Wigram (circa early 1950's)

OhAC27H.t5f3f1bf6.m800.x8m0Z79G6.jpg

Sadly both NZ4046 and NZ4203 were lost to ditching incidents.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Shame. You got me really interested there. I was almost in the loft. I take it that there was sufficient power generation on board not to need a wooden windmill. I made an Airfix Avenger into a TT following an article in AM about 1970. It's still my go-to scheme should I ever pass a Trumpy kit for sale at a price low enough to tempt me.   

2 hours ago, Ossington said:

I take it that there was sufficient power generation on board not to need a wooden windmill.

Either that or (knowing the RNZAF number 8 wire thinking :smartass:) a jury rig of either an extra set of batteries

or some sort of wind driven system.

Interestingly the Winch's for the Catalina and Avenger were of British design, so you would

have to factor in any voltage/electrical differences too

Regards

Alan

• Like 1