DD-445 (PK-063 / 05127) USS Fletcher

Next up, and a change from the above plans, but the horizontal surfaces are done:

20220609_194433.jpg?psid=1

That can dry off and cure overnight and tomorrow ready for masking, it'll receive some AK wash for decks to provide the variation needed and if there's time some further detailing of the walkway strips on the deck.

Until then...

David

• Like 6

So that's why I originally decided to do the vertical surfaces first, masking the tiny deck proved too much of a challenge (the sausages I call finger conspired to attack the photo etch) so it will need touching up, nevertheless 5-O is down so just the 5-N and 5-H to go:

20220612_221143.jpg?psid=1

David

• Like 2

Oooh this is squeaky bum time indeed, deadline fast approaching but the first layer of 5-H is on.

20220614_022819.jpg?psid=1

And now some more ugly gaps reveal themselves. I have to admit, using the photoetch designed for another kit, especially when it included wraparound sections, was not one of my smartest life decisions.

David

• Like 2

Update from last night. The various winches were looking a bit barren:

20220614_115058.jpg?psid=1

Inserts made, plastic rod covered with string for texture (and later cut to size and combined, but you'll see that later):

20220614_121517.jpg?psid=1

And main armaments now attached:

20220614_152204.jpg?psid=1

Just need to add some superstructure details and tidy up the camo...before further details go on.

David

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey this has come on well, looking good, just all those teeny tiny bits to add now.  Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris. She might just have to be displayed fitting out...lost a couple of days messing around with the paint ordering and now have quite a bit of it to sort out. My plans to make scale apples for the veg locker (I must confess the plans are so small I'm guessing that's what one of the boxes says) is not going to come to fruition here. The rigging and crew can wait as well, as too much to do otherwise.

David

Oh and I need to do surgery on the mast as it apparently didn't push down far enough nor measured incorrectly, but has set solid (its waaaay too high).

• Like 2

Gidday David, she's certainly come along, particularly in that last photo. You've rekindled my desire to do a Fletcher and a Sumner, but I'd like to do them in 1/600. I've already done the USS The Sullivans in 1/700. A nice build but getting too small for me. Yours is looking very good. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday David, she's certainly come along, particularly in that last photo. You've rekindled my desire to do a Fletcher and a Sumner, but I'd like to do them in 1/600. I've already done the USS The Sullivans in 1/700. A nice build but getting too small for me. Yours is looking very good. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, I think part of the reason for the massive delay earlier was my displeasure with how she's turned out, she looks better in the flesh now, but the mismatch of kit and photo etch has been, er, 'challenging'. I would highly recommend you do another US destroyer though!

No update from yesterday as long-term toddler-induced sleep deprivation and subsequent migraine saw me conk out for 18hrs all told...work to resume later tonight though.

David.

Edited by Adm Lord De Univers
random letters...
  • Like 2

Not much of an update, only the darker hull camo got a 2nd coat, on the plus side I've learnt the new superglue I'm using scorched the paint straight off (midships main deck area around where some sticky-out-doors went in), so that's good. Poor lighting (and I cant even make out the part I've done) but as below:

20220615_235021.jpg?psid=1

And for those really keen to see the winches from above, some need tidying, but with some minor tinkering, this should serve its purpose well and I don't need all of them:

20220615_235002.jpg?psid=1

David

• Like 2

A twofer for tonight...yonks ago I noted how the Fletch would need a temp seabase, the plan being to eventually mount her with other W2 US ships, and although that will be under evaluation pending how happy I am with her, I still need a base. A budget base. So, out with the lighter over styrofoam method and in with scrap cardboard, then combined with the usual paint, pva, and medium acrylic gels...

First up two pieces, alternatively either paint or PVA first, metallic paint as I dont use it for anything else:

20220420_232758.jpg?psid=1

That'll do, next a pattern with greens, greys, blacks and smidgen of blue:

20220422_224109.jpg?psid=1

Sealed with a layer of medium gel, stipled, but not done close enough to drying time in this instance to keep those peaks raised:

20220424_002819.jpg?psid=1

Yes those light colours are in the photo above, anyway it's water, so next stop is to cheap out and create imperceptible films between the base coat proper and a thinner 'wash' on top that still shows through the pattern underneath:

20220424_003445.jpg?psid=1

The plan is to do each layer a smidgen inside the last (from the edge) so you can see its construction. But what happens if a Lord Admiral gets lazy and attempts too thick a layer at one time I hear you ask? Failure, utter failure:

20220615_235043.jpg?psid=1

Well that’s fantastic, creamy seas, it didn't even need that last layer either, but nothing a repeat of the process cannot solve (cue blindfolded stippling of greens, blue and blacks):

20220616_000223.jpg?psid=1

And a different angle:

20220616_000249.jpg?psid=1

Further different angle:

20220616_000227.jpg?psid=1

Gorgeous, completely the wrong colour for western US seaboard (NYC harbour)-too much blue and not enough dark green, but once it dries and with a coat of medium gel and then a wash on top of that, it’ll darken and be further hidden (and in my experience you need he underneath layer ridiculously light to show through), and look more wet and ‘sea-like' to boot. But the plus side is that the last 3 pics took me 5 mins to do just now, so if I'm not happy when dry, I can do it again.

Failing that my tarp is blue...

David

Oh and trying to infuse cardboard with PVA did not work to fix it subsequently pulling it up, but I can cheat there and weigh it down. The cardboard look hasn't been so easy to fix, so definitely a spot-gap solution.

Edited by Adm Lord De Univers
speeling
  • Like 2

Quick morning update, not much of an update really, there was minimal touch up of the Fletch with that bane - drying time - limiting what I could do. The 5-H, haze grey, still needs touching up and that's before I add on details (including removal and replacing of some twisted railing, and then touch up again. Anyway, let's complete the seabase, medium acrylic gel applied in a stippling motion with the brush (dried on left, wet on right):

20220617_234550.jpg?psid=1

Wash applied to base, hard to tell in photos but there are some 3d looking swirls and patterns underneath (even under the darkest layers):

20220618_005536.jpg?psid=1

Think this'll definitely end up as a fitting out sort of 'finish' tonight:

20220618_010656.jpg?psid=1

David

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work , those teeny wishes  wow, I knew you are a Masochist!!!

Seriously Great work though,  tge Sea base looks good too. 

Chris 

Thanks Chris, hopefully will do enough by midnight to make it into the gallery, currently I am here:

20220619_020548.jpg?psid=1

And I've got this left:

20220619_001809.jpg?psid=1

Not all to be attached (spare AA and doors etc) and boats and some other parts will be left off for now, and I've got an IKEA bookshelf, coming any minute, to build as well. I'll tackle that first and then crack on with the Fletch after lunch!

David

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Good luck David

I'm jealous of your eyesight :giggle:

Cheers Pat 

Cheers indeed! The optivisor (pic above, right) helps somewhat. Well here I am currently, had some toddler issues so slight delay, as always, but I'm confident of submitting something...

20220619_210549%201.jpg?psid=1

David

Ps, the beer helps the eyesight too.

• Like 1

Oh well, didn't quite finish, but at least I made it to the gallery in time, pic as below and link to the rest:

20220619_234116.jpg?psid=1

Those eagle-eyed among you may see that I dropped it at the last minute as the temporary sticky pads I used gave way right before photo time, fortunately only v minor bending of an aerial or two.

So what needs doing? Boot topping, deck and wall-mounted and bridge fixtures (bollards, winches etc), all doors, all small lockers, 2x large lockers, davits, carley floats, ships boats, railings, 40mm AA, redo ladders, redo front superstructure railings, redo mast, redo radar, sort bow railings, rearrange stern depth charge launchers, finish larger winches, poles, supporting beams, flag locker, antennae, rigging and various rope-age, deck markings/gritted walkways, and crew. Even before I get to touching up, painting, shading, highlighting, weathering, water effects on deck, and sealing.

Thank you to the hosts for the GB, my first one, but if you chose to access the scalemates link in my opening post you'll since find I have added a ridiculous amount of air and armour to my already ridiculous wishlist (where there were none before, well a couple of planes) and purchased a few more Matchbox kits too! So thank you @JOCKNEY and @Rabbit Leader. My wallet and partner want a word though.

Fletch is going in her holding cell until I strike up the courage to tackle that list.

I have the honour to be,
Your obedient Servant,

Admiral Lord D'Univers*

(*fake titles may be self-bestowed)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

So what needs doing? Boot topping, deck and wall-mounted and bridge fixtures (bollards, winches etc), all doors, all small lockers, 2x large lockers, davits, carley floats, ships boats, railings, 40mm AA, redo ladders, redo front superstructure railings, redo mast, redo radar, sort bow railings, rearrange stern depth charge launchers, finish larger winches, poles, supporting beams, flag locker, antennae, rigging and various rope-age, deck markings/gritted walkways, and crew. Even before I get to touching up, painting, shading, highlighting, weathering, water effects on deck, and sealing.

Gidday, you could have just said  -  "Redo the ship"  -  would have saved you a lot of typing. 😁 But seriously, I think Fletch looks very good. To me the only thing that stands out at present is the missing Bofor on the aft deck-house. But it's your model so it's you that has to be happy with her. I think she's well done, and good luck with her. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, you could have just said  -  "Redo the ship"  -  would have saved you a lot of typing. 😁 But seriously, I think Fletch looks very good. To me the only thing that stands out at present is the missing Bofor on the aft deck-house. But it's your model so it's you that has to be happy with her. I think she's well done, and good luck with her. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, you should see the pile of leftover parts! Fortunately the list is on a word doc, so just a copy and paste job here, but good to have a backup.

David

• Like 1

A nice but severe case of "fitted for but not with"!

I look forward to seeing the day when it is all "with"!

Dave

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, davecov said:

A nice but severe case of "fitted for but not with"!

I look forward to seeing the day when it is all "with"!

Dave

Ha! Thanks Dave, I am British after all. I'll be continuing very soon, she's close to being finished, but it will be the earlier version of her without all the bofors and extensions. Just need to pluck up the courage to do the crew.

David

• Like 2