Roden 1/72, Gotha G.V

Here is my representation of Rodens kit which was far from simple build. No contact pins, with insufficiently defined locations for the wing struts, very brittle plastic that often made thin parts to break while removing from the sprues. However, my biggest problem was the lozenge decals, brittle, hard to cut, hard to conform to the surface, and in the end some blisters appeared. I would advise anyone who has this model to invest in an aftermarket set and save themselves the hassle. The model was on the shelf for a long time, but in the end I decided to just finish it with as little trouble as possible. Rigging is Uschi's super fine and fine threads, Gunze matt finnish, weathering is artists oils,  I am far from being satisfied with all the details, but on the other hand, I am glad that I did not give up to finish it in the end.

img_4541.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4547.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4548.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4538.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4550.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4551.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4535.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4533.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

• Like 47
  • Thanks 2

That is a tremendous model and expertly finished. Honestly the blisters and imperfections on the camouflage are so minor that they add to the weathering and wear-and-tear of the aircraft. Great job Lanmi.

• Thanks 1

Don't beat yourself up, Lanmi -

You've done an outstanding job here on a less than perfect kit.  Roden's early decals are truly horrible the chips really add to the weathered look.   BTW, the Roden kits I have built recently seem to have better quality decals.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys for your nice words.

2 hours ago, Epeeman said:

Don't beat yourself up, Lanmi -

Thank you, actually I more relived that it is finally over....

11 hours ago, Darwinism said:

Excellent work and a lot smaller than I imagined.

I agree it is dwarfed by HP 1/400. 

That's a mammoth modelling challenge successfully completed. I have a Roden Zeppelin Staaken in the cupboard (where it can stay for the moment) that will likely pose similar problems for me. I'll take inspiration from your good result that it can be done... that it will be done.

• Thanks 1

Oh

also such an idea....

I built my Gotha V some 13 years ago....

My Gotha G.1 just recently in 1/32. In RFI.

and my friend reebuilt it after it crashed in a storm....

Nice done! Good nerves!

Happy modelling

• Thanks 1

Nightmare is finally finished. I know the pain you've gone through, so just big BRAVO for the final finish.

Weathering turned out pretty nice around tail area - it really looks like after landing to the muddy runway.

Cheers,

S.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MDriskill said:

Pretty sure I'd be dead or at least institutionalized if I attempted such a forest of rigging!

Uschi thread proved much more simple to use, before I used fishing nylon and that was a nightmare.

Thank you all for your comments!

50 minutes ago, Lanmi said:

Uschi thread proved much more simple to use, before I used fishing nylon and that was a nightmare.

Thank you all for your comments!

After using 0.2 fishing line on my last build, Uschi threads are high on my shopping list. I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a roll of each weight I think. What weights have you used on the Gotha?

I've used Standard size for most of the rigging. Superfine was used in rigging parallel to fuselage and on MLG struts. Although it is advertised that Superfine is right weight for 1/72 wwI planes I find it difficult for my eyesight. White background is a must for me, and only tiniest drop of CA glue is enough to hold it. Also it is super stretchy so it forgives accidental pulling.