PK-408 BAC Canberra PR.9

I built loads of these as a kid as we had Canberras based nearby, they were TT.18s but what the hey I thought the Matchbox Canberra PR.9 kit was the best in town.

There was something about Matchbox kits, from the stunning Roy Huxley artwork, usually variations of which appeared on the box sides, and the '70s bright colours of the logo and swish lines on the box top.  The slightly unusual topic choices, coloured plastic and window to the rear of the box only enhance the browsing, and hopefully, buying pleasure.

The PR.9 kit was released in 1978 in the Red Dot range.  I  think it was one of their finer offerings especially in regard to surface detail which is very fine raised type, the control surfaces and access doors etc are engraved, the decals are also quite nice, offering two camo aircraft of 39 & 13 squadron and an all over silver painted machine of 58 Squadron.

However as I have got older I realised that there are some big errors aswel, the overall fuselage length is slightly too short and nearer the bomber length, the engine nacelles shapes are way off in plan view and not big enough at the engine faces, the tailplane has too great a chord (in fairness copied from an RAF AP error), the nose cone has the wrong profile and is slightly to long (making the whole length of the aircraft correct again)and the canopy isn't bulky enough - but still I love it!

For this build I am keeping it on the nostalgia route, so I intend to build it from the box pretty much, I might try to correct some of it and I may put on some aftermarket wheels, but I really want to remain faithful to the original kit.

I'm definitely going to build a camo one, as I have done plenty of silver ones, and I think it will be XH133 in camo with the full red white and blue roundels.

Unfortunately the canopy transparency is missing, so I have appealed for a replacement one which hopefully @canberra kid can sort for me.

Anyway, here is the box and contents,

7357083710_684bda3b86_b.jpg

PK-408 Canberra PR.9 by James Thomas, on Flickr

11337062674_ef0b7157a0_b.jpg

11337062844_7e1faab0ed_b.jpgPK-408 Canberra PR.9 by James Thomas, on Flickr

11454493296_32c657f3cc_b.jpgPK-408 Canberra PR.9 by James Thomas, on Flickr

50538085567_c985af0190_b.jpgPK-408 Canberra PR.9 by James Thomas, on Flickr

7171871075_429e81e2b4_b.jpg

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 16

As you say it was a nice kit to look at - better than my old Frog Canberra, though  have since replaced it with the Airfix PR.9, which I believe also has the odd accuracy problem. I look forward to seeing it built. Yet another gap in the list filled!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, PeterB said:

better than my old Frog Canberra,

You meaning the old Frog PR.7 kit of the 50's Pete as the 1973 B(I)8 is quite accurate, even the great man John Sheehan (aka Canberra Kid) rates it quite highly.

So glad to see the Matchbox Canberra on here James and I agree a good load of bits OOB, although there's quite a few issues that are not quite right. Still it builds up very well and looks like a Canberra from all angles at the end of the day. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You meaning the old Frog PR.7 kit of the 50's Pete as the 1973 B(I)8 is quite accurate, even the great man John Sheehan (aka Canberra Kid) rates it quite highly.

I’ve got a Frog PR.7 somewhere.  If I survive this latest House move I must find it and have a look at it as from memory it didn’t seem too bad for it’s time.  If I don’t survive this latest House move I haven’t made my Will yet Dave so you can’t go looking for it just yet. Must find the time tomorrow to write one so you can go looking for it and  learn how to play that really fun Game “Which #@£*%€  Box is that kit in?”  

Also there must be a lot of Frog B(I).8 kits without their noses as until the Aeroclub nose correction came they were usually robbed by those building the 70’s Airfix kit of the Canberra to fix up it’s nose!  

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Must find the time tomorrow to write one so you can go looking for it and  learn how to play that really fun Game “Which #@£*%€  Box is that kit in?”

Sounds like fun, although it would be better with you still there… so let’s not be too morbid. Yes, the Airfix nose is genuinely horrible which is a shame as the rest of the kit is rather nice. I digress, this threads about James’ Matchbox PR.9, so we’d better stick to the brief! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I just missed the Frog era sadly, and when I started building in the late '70s early '80s the local shops to me were mainly Matchbox with some Japanese stuff, even Airfix stuff was seemingly further away and at that time their box art and subjects didn't really excite me.

My local store in Newquay was the superb Toodees, and Jenkins a general stores had a lot of Matchbox in.

I 'discovered' Frog by accident in the mid '80s when I couldn't believe that someone had done a Shackleton and so I ordered one from TJ (Tony James?) models in the London area, dead excited when that rocked up in the post!

In some areas the Matchbox Canberra is better than the recent Airfix kit, especially in regard to surface detail and some of the shapes, the curve ahead of the fin and the whole tailplane junction is way off with that kit.

Anyway, I used to be dead excited with my Matchbox purchases and gifts, my dad would give my multiples of them for Christmas, from the big 1:32 Sea Venom, Puma, 1:48 Prowler, Seasprite, to the 1:72 Victor, Canberra, Phantom, Helldiver, P-40 and Harriers.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

Some great memories there James and I have to agree with you, the recent Airfix Canberra kits are quite horrid. If there is ever a smooth flush airframe with minimal panel lines, the Canberra is it! On certain subjects, I’ll take raised panel lines over recessed trenches any day.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, courtesy of the English Electric after sales support team, AKA John @canberra kid I now have a replacement canopy!  Brilliant help from him, and also from @PhantomBigStu who dug one out and offered me one.

I also have the Pavla seat to add some detail to about all anyone is going to see under that canopy, and a set of CMK wheels.  I'm not sure if I will use the wheels yet as it might go against what I want to do with this nostalgia build, but they are lovely, and sooo much better than the kit ones.

51860435281_5d0d6807ec_b.jpg

Matchbox PK-408 BAC Canberra PR.9 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 11

Great to see some very kind and generous BM members helping you out with a spare canopy here James, that's always good to hear. Now get cracking dear boy, we all want to see a lovely looking Canberra! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...