F-101 Voodoo colours

Stressy

What is the grey used on US F-101B? The Revell kit cites a mix of their paints - of which I'm not a fan, so what is the F.S. I should be looking for? Also suggestions for  interior green - which is a good brand or mix please.

In "The F-101 Voodoo in Detail & Scale" by Bert Kinzey, it says, "....Note: On all F-101B aircraft that we have seen, the interiors of the wheel wells were painted green ( approximately F.S. 34258)". I'll go through some other books just to be sure

44 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I have photos of the example at Coventry. Doors are red inside, bays are alu/nmf. It's an ex BDR airframe.

Red interior to doors, green bays :)

2 hours ago, fubar57 said:

In "The F-101 Voodoo in Detail & Scale" by Bert Kinzey, it says, "....Note: On all F-101B aircraft that we have seen, the interiors of the wheel wells were painted green ( approximately F.S. 34258)". I'll go through some other books just to be sure

The standard for the F-101B was some type of green close to interior green (best bet is to match it to pictures on the interwebbz) on the wheel wells and gloss red on the inside of the gear doors.  BTW, the same was true for the T-33.

Regards,

Murph

5 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Kinzey did say "....approximately F.S. 34258." which is lighter than interior green

Detail and Scale have been known to get things wrong.  For example, they state in their B-17 book that only the F models had Tokyo Tanks fitted and that the vents in the wing tips for the Tokyo Tanks on the G model would have to be filled.  It is the other way around.  The Gs had the Tokyo Tanks and the Fs did not.

Later,

Dave

1 hour ago, e8n2 said:

Detail and Scale have been known to get things wrong.  For example, they state in their B-17 book that only the F models had Tokyo Tanks fitted and that the vents in the wing tips for the Tokyo Tanks on the G model would have to be filled.  It is the other way around.  The Gs had the Tokyo Tanks and the Fs did not.

Later,

Dave

While D&S have invariably got some things wrong, it doesn't mean that everything they've printed is wrong.

I definitely recall seeing green wheel well interiors with red doors for F-101's in a number of publications (D&S, Aerofax, Sqn Signal etc).

In most of my sources, and in other forums and internet sites, the wheel well colour is simply described as 'green', which is less than helpful. Otherwise, "interior green" and "dark green" tends to be used to describe the colour - equally less than helpful...😉.

Therefore, I would be happy to go with Kinzey's description of ~34258  - at the very least, it's probably a good compromise for a reasonably dark and hard-to-see area of the model (I'm going to use it in my CF-101).

More green/interior green vagueness (plus some frustrating references to other colours entirely) can be found here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/298762-wheel-wells-color-on-f-101/

and

https://www.ipmscanada.com/rt-issues-text/CF-101 IPMS Canada Article-1.pdf

BB

Edited by Blimpyboy

I read somewhere that Vietnam era aircraft had light grey or white wheel wells but they were green before that. The inside of the flaps and speed brakes were also red, I  think the speed brake bay was as well but I'm not sure about that for the flap.

I would probably not obsess too much on the correct FS number for the wheel wells: the first FS catalogue was introduced in 1956 and the USAF kept using ANA colours well into the '60s together with the then new FS ones. This of course does not mean that McDonnell used "whatever green they had to hand", most pictures I've seen actually seem to show always the same colour, just that the colour used could have well been made to the ANA standard rather than the FS one. FS 34151 was supposed to replace ANA 611 but the two from what I read are not exactly the same. I have no evidence pointing one way or the other and I guess that for most the difference between these colours are small anyway, so best advice is IMHO to use a green most closely resembling the one visible in the many pictures that can be found of these aircraft, with the caveat that of course preserved aircraft will have likley suffered from wear.

Regarding the presence of other colours, like the aluminum in the Coventry aircraft, this does not surprise me as wheel wells were repainted across several USAF types in the '60s. This does not seem to have been common on the F-101Bs but I'd not swear that it never happened, as that specific aircraft seem to show. In any case I'd go with green as the most likely on a model, with red inner doors surfaces and aluminum landing gear legs..unless representing that aircraft

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stressy said:

I read somewhere that Vietnam era aircraft had light grey or white wheel wells but they were green before that. The inside of the flaps and speed brakes were also red, I  think the speed brake bay was as well but I'm not sure about that for the flap.

Came across a similar comment a few years back while preparing to build a Monogram F-101B in Texas ANG markings suggesting that some late service F-101 had the wheel wells sprayed in an aluminium type paint as a corrosion control measure , it was stressed however that this was not widespread so I stuck with green bays/red door interior faces as per the kit instructions and the majority of references/images on hand.

• Like 1

Modelmaster enamel 1734 zinc chromate green, FS 34138, is what I have been using for 50's-60's US jets, and it looks pretty good to me, being grayer and a little lighter than interior green, FS 34151, which IIRC,  was originally called tinted zinc chromate. That being said, I have seen a chromate green quite a bit darker  than  FS 34138  on F-101, F-102, F-105, and F-106 aircraft. that I have seen and/or photographed. I'm no Dana Bell, so I have no idea if this darker chromate green was what FS34138 became, or if it was a mix created at the depot level after an aircraft was overhauled/repainted; especially as it seems to be apparent on high-time examples of the four jets. I would imagine  a greyish-green in the range  from FS 34138 to FS 34159  would work, (It's hard to determine wheel bay/speedbrake bay colors accurately, as they are usually in shadow or a result of flash photography, which sure alters their appearance!)

Mike

22 hours ago, Wez said:

While D&S have invariably got some things wrong, it doesn't mean that everything they've printed is wrong.

I definitely recall seeing green wheel well interiors with red doors for F-101's in a number of publications (D&S, Aerofax, Sqn Signal etc).

My point is that just because Kinzey says it doesn't necessarily make it the only answer.  I personally would go with 34151 inside the wheel bays.  Whatever makes you satisfied with your choice for the right color to use is the one to go with.

Later,

Dave

5 minutes ago, ivand said:

To answer a question with a question: is it different from the grey used on the Canadian F-101? Hannants sell a Canadian Voodoo grey in their xtrapaint line. 🤔

Yes, they are different colours. Canadian F-101s were painted in a grey made to local specifications coded AA92-A-312, close to FS 16515.

Previously the Canadian Voodoos were in natural metal and then in aluminum paint.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ivand said:

is it different from the grey used on the Canadian F-101?

Yup, and in which case, I would recommend: https://www.truenorthpaints.com/paintstore/gloss-canadian-voodoo-grey* as a good match for Canada’s Alumigrip gloss light grey.

If going down the Canadian route, this page has some good baseline notes on the colour schemes used, particularly with regard to the first scheme’s mix of various natural metals and dielectric materials: https://nbaviationmuseum.com/mcdonnell-cf-101-voodoo.

* Disclaimer: my True North recommendations are unpaid; I was just really impressed with them!

Edited by Blimpyboy