Land Rover and Trailer in 1:35 scale - kitbuild, conversion or scratchbuild; who knows?

bootneck

Hello everybody,

I am new to vehicle building, having been a ship and helicopter modeller for many years.  A friend of mine coaxed me into taking a look at vehicle models, especially the Land Rover, and he was quite persuasive and I got hooked in.

I would like to make a start with a Tamiya 1:35 scale SAS Land Rover which I would like to convert to a standard European theatre/NATO version.   I think the main difference, between the SAS Land Rover and a standard British military version was the tyres.  The kits bulgy sand tyres will need to be changed with aftermarket standard road wheels and tyres.

I would also like to make a trailer to go with the Land Rover and it will very likely be a scratchbuild.  I'm not sure yet, whether to combine the two builds within this WiP or separate them out.  I suppose it will be down to how clearly I can the structure the build and, hopefully not confuse people along the way; especially me.

Here is the kit that I shall be using,  I realise that there are other kits produced that already have the European/NATO spec.  but this was cheap and a better option to make all my initial mistakes along the way.

spacer.png

The kit parts are all a very light pink, which makes photographing a bit problematic.

spacer.png

I had already made a start before realising that I should have set up a WiP thread and I apologise for this.  As can be seen here, not much has actually been done yet.

spacer.png

Much of the work will involve removing all the elements attributed to the SAS role and then to progress from there.

First off will be to remove the side extensions, to take the sand channels, and the wood strips from the floor area.

spacer.png

That's it for now, although I shall try to get something started with the trailer soon.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

Looks like a reasonable rendition of a basic series 2 / 2a to begin with, I'm always surprised the Land Rover isn't better represented with various versions in kit form..

I'd think a Sankey trailer would be an easy enough scratch build being pretty much all flat pieces...

I agree with both statements.  I must admit to being better with flats than curves when s/b anything, so a Land Rover and trailer should be fun.  If I am successful with the trailer then I would like to have a go at a Lightweight LR, for the same reasons.

cheers,

Mike

The SAS kit is a nice kit, I have done a few, I would love to get my hands on the ambulance tamiya kit, but it is a fair representation of a 2a and if needs be you can hide you crimes by putting a ragtop on it lol

• Like 1

I agree about the Tamiya ambulance, it looks nice on paper but I haven't seen one available for ages.   I'd also like to get a 1 ton LR but, again, doesn't seem to be available in plastic.

I also realised, after I started this, that I should have used a Revell LR, and saved this Tamiya kit for an actual SAS build later on.  Doh!  :banghead:  At least these are still available in the shops and I can get another one.

cheers,

Mike

Can never have enough Land Rovers! lol

Models or the real thing, one thing I am looking for is a 1/35th of a 200TDi Discovery  which i can paint up for the gulf war as there is photos of them in light stone with the black chevron as they were picked up in saudi during the build up

I haven't reached the stage where I can distinguish a Discover from a Defender yet; however, I am looking forward to when I progress onto those.  I get even more confused when I see WMIK and Snatch etc, they all look like Defenders to me. :undecided:

Mike

there's a trick, pretty much everything after I 1993 is a defender anything before that is 90/110/127, unless its a S3 then they are a 88/109 :D 

WMIK is a Defender Wolf with teeth lol Snatch is a coffin on wheels lol 

Land Rover Discovery the civi "SUV" as they like to call them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Discovery

Came out in 1989, the British Army "borrowed" a few in the 91 gulf war and there is some contract early type Range Rovers as well that the military used   

• Thanks 1