303 and Adjacent

On 5/24/2022 at 11:47 PM, giemme said:

I think they could use some :)  Just to be consistent with the excellent paint job you did on this - great to see you haven't lost your touch :clap: :clap:

Thanks Giorgio! I'm a little rust, but good to be back in the saddle (and mixing metaphors).

On 5/25/2022 at 12:27 AM, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! I like the chipping over the wing roots too.

On 5/25/2022 at 12:35 AM, Johnson said:

Me too (wish I could do that, never seems to work when I try it :crying:).

Thanks Adrian and Charlie - it's just Vallejo Metal Color applied with a toothpick. I think you can get away 'painting' your chipping if there's not much of it. If the chipping is heavy, I think you have to go with hairspray or salt techniques.

On 5/25/2022 at 12:35 AM, Johnson said:

That must be one of the clearest canopies at 1/72 I've ever seen! Is it straight from the box, or dipped (in Klear maybe)?

Nope, that's all Arma out of the box!

On 5/25/2022 at 3:04 AM, AliGauld said:

Really nicely done.

Looking splendid.

Thanks Alistair, I'm really enjoying your Mustang as well!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2022 at 3:34 AM, Terry1954 said:

This one gets better and better each time I look Cookie. I also noticed that high shine canopy, amazing!

Thanks Terry! As mentioned above. all I did was glue it on.

Got the landing gear attached:

IMG_20220530_164217

And added the fabric gun covers using painted tissue paper:

IMG_20220530_181633

Sorry, I didn't do a very good job documenting the final steps, but they included:

- Desaturating the decals with chalk pastels applied with a cotton bud

- dry brushing the exhausts with a little grey and then dry brushing the shiniest roundel once the mix was right

- weathering the wing roots with poster paint

- dabbing each of the nave lights with a chrome paint marker and then going over that with a Sharpie

- toothbrush bristle aerial

- probably some other stuff?

But she's done!

IMG_20220530_191743

• Like 22

Excellent job, Cookie! :clap:  :clap:  She looks at least 1/48 and I love the weathering and finish you have achieved! :worthy:

Off to the RFI :pilot: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

Got started on the Hurricane this weekend:

IMG_20220603_204939

I'm giving the photo-etch a go, but I'm learning that the gear bay liner seen above is about as small as I can go with any competence!

IMG_20220603_212916

IMG_20220604_154755

I had a little trouble getting the fuselage halves together, but all's well that ends well:

IMG_20220604_165750

• Like 16

I think that the plumbing pipe from the radiator to the engine has been missed out in the wheel well on the model, I've added it to all mine from suitable thickness solder wire, also there are two bracing struts that are shown on restored aircraft that run from the undercarriage gas bottle diagonally rearward to the gear positioning cradle, where the wheel opening narrows. they are a s*d to put in after the wing halves have been fixed together, (ask me how I know).

Also when the starboard step is extended it opens a flap that serves as a hand-hold just below the 'doghouse', to the rear of the canopy.

The 'stang looks very Polish, well used and deadly.

Box On

Strickers 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, giemme said:

That was quick! Looking good already,  Cookie!

Ha! Thanks Giorgio, I'm motoring through this one because I have to travel for work for two weeks next Sunday, and then I'm off on holiday to visit my family the first week of July. I don't think I'll get it done by then, but I at least want to start painting (the best part!)

15 hours ago, Johnson said:

A nice start on what looks like a very nice kit. Looking good!

Thank you Charlie - it is a very nice kit and I think I'll be able to do a much better job on the Mk II in the stash by applying lessons learned from this rather slap dash effort.

4 hours ago, HAMP man said:

I think that the plumbing pipe from the radiator to the engine has been missed out in the wheel well on the model, I've added it to all mine from suitable thickness solder wire, also there are two bracing struts that are shown on restored aircraft that run from the undercarriage gas bottle diagonally rearward to the gear positioning cradle, where the wheel opening narrows. they are a s*d to put in after the wing halves have been fixed together, (ask me how I know).

Also when the starboard step is extended it opens a flap that serves as a hand-hold just below the 'doghouse', to the rear of the canopy.

Thanks for the detail info, the wheel wells are all masked up currently, but I'll see what I can do to dress it up - and definitely good info to apply to my next Hurricane.

Slathered on some PPP - oh, it looks like I added the horizontal and vertical stabilizers too - I decided to droop the elevators and wag the rudder because, looking at ref pics, it seems that this was the case as often as not.

IMG_20220605_154719

PPP cleaned up and canopy masks on

IMG_20220605_182901

Just for fun, I painted the fabric sections light brown (I really should have added some white to the mix to make it look more like fabric) and metallic sections with Tamiya paint in lieu of a primer coat.

IMG_20220605_191748

The Wing Leader Hurricane I book has a great picture of some fabric removed from a BoB Hurricane - it's fabric, red primer, and Sky (with a silver layer as well from its days with black, white and silver undersides). So I'll paint the fabric sections red and the metal portions grey next, then the camo - interestingly the red fabric primer is apparently the same used to paint the fabric patches used to cover the gun ports.

I can't use PE or gussy up a cockpit, so I figured I should do something interesting!

• Like 15

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

so I figured I should do something interesting!

This is definitely interesting! :clap: :clap: Looking very much forward to how the paint job comes out :tasty:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I can't use PE or gussy up a cockpit, so I figured I should do something interesting!

Me neither, but I don't let it stop me, and a man of your talents ought not to either.

Looking really good, Cookie. Excited to see how the control surfaces affect the colouration of those areas.

• Thanks 1

Well in my attempt to get a darker 'brick' red by adding some brown and black, I ended up with a sort of neon burgundy 😆

IMG_20220606_192545

As to how it affects the top coat - the answer is: not at all!

IMG_20220606_193732

Unless, you spray a thin enough coat to allow a sort of pinkish hue, which I don't think makes an appearance in any Hurricane pics that I know of.

Well it wouldn't have been an experiment if I already knew the outcome, and there is a half maroon Hurricane (band name?) in the BM WIP section now, so there's that.

Sky undersides:

IMG_20220606_195402

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I ended up with a sort of neon burgundy 😆

Wow, that's a bit shocking!  :D  :D  

Sky underside looking smooth! :clap: 

Ciao

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2022 at 12:03 AM, giemme said:

Wow, that's a bit shocking!  :D  :D

Right? Too much something!

On 6/7/2022 at 12:03 AM, giemme said:

Sky underside looking smooth! :clap: 

Thanks Giorgio

Got the top colours on - a mix of Mission Models and Vallejo

IMG_20220611_145425

Free hand camo with water based acrylics is a fraught affair - I should really use masks!

IMG_20220611_153513

Masking off

IMG_20220611_153845

This will be the last update for a while; leaving early tomorrow morning for two weeks in South Africa for work, then spending a week in Colorado to visit family on my return.

I know some of you are at Old Buck today(?) - have a great time and please tell Jim hello!

• Like 15

On 06/06/2022 at 04:06, Cookenbacher said:

Just for fun, I painted the fabric sections light brown

This is classic Hurricane 'gotcha' ...the 'doghouse' cockpit structure is plywood,  covered in fabric.  Common model glitch, bare metal scuffs below cockpit....

70.JPG

restoration,  also shows another common Hurricane model error, the like between the doghouse and stringers is often show as a panel line.   

On 06/06/2022 at 04:06, Cookenbacher said:

(I really should have added some white to the mix to make it look more like fabric) and metallic sections with Tamiya paint in lieu of a primer coat.

IMG_20220605_191748

The Wing Leader Hurricane I book has a great picture of some fabric removed from a BoB Hurricane - it's fabric, red primer, and Sky (with a silver layer as well from its days with black, white and silver undersides). So I'll paint the fabric sections red and the metal portions grey next, then the camo - interestingly the red fabric primer is apparently the same used to paint the fabric patches used to cover the gun ports.

Depending on date, it was common practice to use aluminium dope over the red oxide, as it provided UV protection.  Obviously seen on prewar biplanes in aluminium dope, but I think carried on into the camouflage era.  

The chunk of fabric also appears to show a 'sky' mix paint, 

This is helpfully shown the sampler PDF on the Wingleader site for those interested, scroll down to 'sample pages from this title' 

https://www.wingleader.co.uk/shop/hurricane-mki-wpa3

I did take this on board, and before my Arma Hurricane stalled when I realised the upper colours were not very good,  i had done the underside in a mix made of white with a little blue and yellow...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235080866-hurricane-mki-arma-hobby-72nd-scheme-tbc/#elControls_3864074_menu

Gun ports, yes, red oxide fabric paint was used to dope on patches, but the whole gun port coverings is one of those problems dating back to the RAF pre war and early war not doing much actual gunnery....

Hurricanes often had very neat patches applied, and painted to match the camo, as the gun were not fired very often.   Spitfires pre war had not patches, and a couple of protruding flash suppressors...    the patches came in when it was found out that gun oil was freezing at altitude...  as they had not fires the guns at altitude!!!!!  (or the winter as well...)  

When the proper shooting war started,  it was all a bit of a shock, and you get various local level arrangements,  with dopes on individual port strips, full length strips,  and sticking plaster...  Study of period photos will show all sort of variations....

In the end rolls of basically large sticking plaster became standard.

The films and discussion are here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235029913-spitfire-rearming-and-gun-muzzle-patch-application-films/

Other colours also got use for doping on patches,  there are blue ones on some desert Spitfire colour pics,   and  Hurricane IV of 164Sq  with one either yellow or Sky...

I can stick up a load of reference pics, but might be a bit cluttering....    hmm... one to do sometime when I just scrolling idly....  

Oh... I did some here...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235029913-spitfire-rearming-and-gun-muzzle-patch-application-films/#elControls_2881922_menu

I am now forgetting what I have posted on here over the years...   occasionally a pleasant surprise when hunting something up to find I had already posted something useful on it already... :banghead:

Anyway,  the links may provide a bit of browsing when on your on your travels.... Hurricane looks neat in the those last photos

:goodjob:

cheers

T

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Free hand camo with water based acrylics is a fraught affair - I should really use masks!

Looks pretty fine to me Cookie. Really like the look of the green and brown chosen.

Have a great trip to SA and most of all enjoy the subsequent family time!

Terry

• Thanks 1