303 and Adjacent

Sorry to hear about your Mum's health issues and glad to hear she has made a good recovery.   The Mustang looks great, what a lovely kit and great paint job too, the U/C bays looks wonderful too.

Cracking work Cookie 

Chris

• Thanks 1

Gosh, gosh and golly!

I would never have thought  to add acrylic paint over PPP to make a correctly finishing finish even though I have bemoaned its lack of stiffness countless times (at least 250 times or more) publicly.

Absolute brilliance.

PC and Cookie the go-tos when you need to go to somewhere for clever and innovative.

And I love the Mustang, she is becoming a beauty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 11:48 PM, Cookenbacher said:

for wetting sanding sticks, 

🤯🤯

Following this thread and picking up many little tips. Glad to hear your Mom is on the mend, the P51 looks excellent so far! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, perdu said:

PC and Cookie the go-tos when you need to go to somewhere for clever and innovative.

You take that back! I've never done anything innovative in my life. Cookie, on the other hand...

• Haha 5

Thanks for the kind words and well wishes everyone!

I spent a little while just sort of cleaning up the Dark green with a brush, adding some wing root chipping with a toothpick and Vallejo Metal Color Duraluminum, and playing with the rivet wheel:

IMG_20220518_200939

Ooof, zoomed in shows there's more work to be done! The rivets are nearly impossible to see, but that also means there's no pressure if I screw up.

IMG_20220518_201350

• Like 17

On 5/16/2022 at 9:16 AM, perdu said:

Nah, shan't so there!

You're right Bill!

On 5/18/2022 at 9:45 PM, Procopius said:

Gadzooks, that chipping looks sublime.

Does your Mustang have the d/f loop? I see you left the ridge for it on.

Thanks PC, and d'oh! I'll clean that up.

On 5/19/2022 at 3:05 AM, GrzeM said:

Good job! The whole Arma Hobby team is watching this thread with interest!

Well this just about made my whole year! Thank you for following along, I feel truly honored and will do my best to make you all proud (no pressure then Cookie).

On 5/19/2022 at 3:45 AM, Johnson said:

Late catch up, all looking really good Cookie!

I have all three waiting in the stash so look forward to following.

Thanks Charlie, you have exquisite taste in stash building! What plans do you have for them?

On 5/19/2022 at 8:29 AM, giemme said:

More classy work here, Cookie - love the riveting! :clap: :clap:

Thanks Giorgio, it's difficult to see the riveting on camo, but that's realistic I guess, and good practice for future natural metal finish builds. The surface detail on the Arma kit will make for a really cool NMF I think:

IMG_20220508_182747

Oh, and I'm not sure if I've mentioned how excited I am to see that you've begun paint work on your Phantoms 😆

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2022 at 1:22 AM, Cookenbacher said:

What plans do you have for them?

Nothing immediate Cookie. I’m a bit more of a GB modeller, but something is bound to come along. Until then I’ll enjoy yours… and hope I can remember what you did!

13 hours ago, Johnson said:

Nothing immediate Cookie. I’m a bit more of a GB modeller, but something is bound to come along

That's always a good policy, GB are great fun around here!

On 5/18/2022 at 9:45 PM, Procopius said:

Does your Mustang have the d/f loop? I see you left the ridge for it on.

OK, fixed:

IMG_20220522_092130

The ring was sanded off and the area was repainted.

IMG_20220522_093829

Phew! Re-painting with water based acrylics directly on to plastic  can be a little nerve wracking.🙂

All masked up for the Sky band and yellow leading edges (the bane of all modellers painting the Day Fighter Scheme)

IMG_20220522_105650

IMG_20220522_114714 IMG_20220522_110934

And masks removed

IMG_20220522_115300

Nearly time for transfers

• Like 12

On 18/01/2022 at 19:31, Cookenbacher said:

1. Arma Hobby 1/72 Hurricane Mk I, L2099, RF-O flown by Witold Lokuciewski during two of his Battle of Britain victories

If  small airframe details bother you,  the Arma kit may need some tweaks to do this. (it build a P**** through W****  series Mk.I )   I don't recall seeing images of L2099.

It's late, so I'm not about to go digging, but this may need and early curved lower edge windscreen, 5 spoke wheel and pole aerial, and late L**** series Hurricanes mix up metal and fabric wings....

Neat work on the Mustang too.  

cheers

T

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

If  small airframe details bother you,  the Arma kit may need some tweaks to do this. (it build a P**** through W****  series Mk.I )   I don't recall seeing images of L2099.

It's late, so I'm not about to go digging, but this may need and early curved lower edge windscreen, 5 spoke wheel and pole aerial, and late L**** series Hurricanes mix up metal and fabric wings....

Thank you Troy, Volume I of the Red Kite 303 Sqn series has a pic of L2099. Admittedly, I have no idea about Hurricane windscreens but I can't tell a difference between it and those on other Hurricanes in accompanying photos. It does have the 'pole' aerial, but the wings are not visible. I may switch it up to P2903 in which Lokuciewski was credited with a 109 during the Battle.

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Lovely paintwork Cookie

Thank you Chris!

Transfers applied:

IMG_20220522_155319

Unfortunately, the AJ Press decals were old and brittle, the main victim being the out of register 'score board', which is now short changing the great Polish ace because several of the markings disintegrated.

So. I decided to paint the red walkway on the left flap:

IMG_20220522_151427

IMG_20220522_151757

IMG_20220522_151850

The ref pics in the AJ Press book seem to show that the leading edge of the flaps were painted in the camouflage colours, but then worn off as the flaps were actuated.

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

The ref pics in the AJ Press book seem to show that the leading edge of the flaps were painted in the camouflage colours, but then worn off as the flaps were actuated.

Based on an extensive study of five or six images, I concluded the same. It looks like the area that actuates was left unpainted by North American, but presumably when it was repainted at the MU level this nicety was observed more in the breach.

• Like 2

On 21/05/2022 at 02:22, Cookenbacher said:

Oh, and I'm not sure if I've mentioned how excited I am to see that you've begun paint work on your Phantoms 😆

Yeah, I kinda got the sense of it.... :rofl: 

Excellent paint job, Cookie :clap:  Sorry about the decals mishap, that must have been really frustrating! 

Regarding the red walkway on the flap (great choice painting it on ,BTW :winkgrin:), I'd like to offer a tip for next time, if you don't mind: I used Oramask when I did mine, but one could also use Tamiya tape for curves, just because they both leave a neater edge to the painted part, especially if there's no panel line across. I always found regular Tamiya tape to leave slightly rougher edges. HTH

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2022 at 6:24 PM, Procopius said:

Based on an extensive study of five or six images, I concluded the same. It looks like the area that actuates was left unpainted by North American, but presumably when it was repainted at the MU level this nicety was observed more in the breach.

Add that to my extensive study of one image, that makes six or even seven in total - pretty definitive 😜

On 5/23/2022 at 12:46 AM, giemme said:

Regarding the red walkway on the flap (great choice painting it on ,BTW :winkgrin:), I'd like to offer a tip for next time, if you don't mind: I used Oramask when I did mine, but one could also use Tamiya tape for curves, just because they both leave a neater edge to the painted part, especially if there's no panel line across. I always found regular Tamiya tape to leave slightly rougher edges. HTH

Thanks for the advice Giorgio, I've even got some Oromask on the way (got to get the old cutter back in action)!

Got a matt varnish coat on now, and added the canopy and rails.

IMG_20220524_201159

Aaaargh, is that the gunsight caught between the windshield and coaming?

Yes, yes it is. Aargh.

Canopy rail painted up:

IMG_20220524_201653

Started a little light weathering:

IMG_20220524_212319

Looks like the markings need a little desaturation eh Giorgio?

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Looks like the markings need a little desaturation eh Giorgio?

I think they could use some :)  Just to be consistent with the excellent paint job you did on this - great to see you haven't lost your touch :clap: :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I like the chopping over the wing roots too

Me too (wish I could do that, never seems to work when I try it :crying:).

That must be one of the clearest canopies at 1/72 I've ever seen! Is it straight from the box, or dipped (in Klear maybe)?

Looks great Cookie.

• Like 1